Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sanchez popped....It just never ends....
Quote | Reply
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/08/17/samuel-sanchez-doping-ban-cycling/

Samuel Sanchez, a 2008 Olympic champion and 2010 Tour de France runner-up, was provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned growth hormone on Aug. 9.

Another death knell....
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never seems to end right.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And people wonder why the sport gets less and less credibility and interest. It's become a sport similar to all star wrestling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
And people wonder why the sport gets less and less credibility and interest. It's become a sport similar to all star wrestling.

Not really.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, if it helps any he is part of the old guard at age 39
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^^
I think most of us have become resigned to it. Drug cheats have always existed and will always exist. It's just unfortunate that you have to park the thought that everybody's doing it and watch sports without rose-tinted glasses in a state of resigned acceptance.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
^^^^^
I think most of us have become resigned to it. Drug cheats have always existed and will always exist. It's just unfortunate that you have to park the thought that everybody's doing it and watch sports without rose-tinted glasses in a state of resigned acceptance.

True. The way the NFL, NBA and MLB denies having a true drug testing system yet the masses adore those sports in the US has me thinking that fewer and fewer care any more.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanchez rides for BMC. Jim Ochowitz's team. Why Jim has never been outed in all the BS around Lance and Floyd is beyond me. He is one key common thread from the mid 90s to now. USA cycling, USPS, Phonak, BMC.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Sanchez rides for BMC. Jim Ochowitz's team. Why Jim has never been outed in all the BS around Lance and Floyd is beyond me. He is one key common thread from the mid 90s to now. USA cycling, USPS, Phonak, BMC.

that's for sure . there are quite a few (Vaughters comes to mind) that also very involved with cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:

Your saying 39 is old? :-( (pink)

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:

And quite small. If anyone needed growth hormone it was him. Maybe 30 years too late, but hey. (pink)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Last edited by: GrimOopNorth: Aug 17, 17 17:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

Cycling is the one sport that cares enough to test and actually out those who test positive. His career is over, in this current generation if you test positive you are likely done with cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His contract was up and was looking for a ride next year, at age 39.
His non-denial statement is great, though.

"I'm surprised, can't believe it.
Don't know how this could have happened.
When they told me, I was totally shocked.
Pretty upset right now.
I mean, why would I do something like this?"
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If BMC is doping, and still sucking, what is SKY and the others doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
rhys wrote:

that's for sure . there are quite a few (Vaughters comes to mind) that also very involved with cycling

Vaughetrs from 2003 to 2015 had one positive, Danielson.....that guys head is all messed up......yes Vaughters said if he had a positive he close the team, but he has nor been a consistant problem.......see Floyd's article in cycling news a few days ago
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
His contract was up and was looking for a ride next year, at age 39.
His non-denial statement is great, though.

"I'm surprised, can't believe it.
Don't know how this could have happened.
When they told me, I was totally shocked.
Pretty upset right now.
I mean, why would I do something like this?"

The all time best denial statement belongs to Landis

"I'm gonna say no"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny how finicky wada is for some sports and others are treated very hands off. IOC requires UCI to have a very strict and demanding anti doping program.

NBA as part of Olympic movement required IOC to accept no out of comp testing except for 6 months before Olympics each time. Of course IOC bends over for that because it means they get tony Parker, Lebron, Dirk and they can market the hell out of that and make money off that. Having 21 year old unknown players just doesn't have the appeal and panage that saying you have the world's best playing.

I chuckled 5 years ago when espn idiots slammed cycling for being so dirty yet they were broadcast partners with NFL which is like the most drugged up sport out there that's so bad they deny science funding due to not wanting to be outed as this super barbaric, head injury galore sport.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you guys really think anyone in the top 10 of the grand tours are clean?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

Unfortunately, NO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

I played college sports (D1 baseball). After college, I got paid to play softball and played a LOT of amateur softball. PEDs were rampant in AMATEUR softball. Let that sink in.

I think there's more guys running triathlons on T that anyone cares to acknowledge. You take a sport where money abounds.......and it's inevitable. I think if we knew the number of people doping in amateur triathlon....many would be amazed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I bet the top 100 aren't clean. So of course the Gold medalist is not.

And to the other point, there are plenty of guys who got popped involved in team management now.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

I think they're still doping in the off season, but no more during the tours like Lance was doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost feel like now it's an race to manipulate the system, because out right drug usage is bad for business. So if you micro dose or use TUE that's the new system of corruption. 8 blood bags per room is so 2003, now it's actually corruption of the fair play rules.

ETA: almost like it's an race now to legally dope.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 18, 17 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: Sanchez popped....It just never ends.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I almost feel like now it's an race to manipulate the system, because out right drug usage is bad for business. So if you micro dose or use TUE that's the new system of corruption. 8 blood bags per room is so 2003, now it's actually corruption of the fair play rules.

ETA: almost like it's an race now to legally dope.

Agreed. Can't believe how many inhalers I see now days.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

True. The way the NFL, NBA and MLB denies having a true drug testing system yet the masses adore those sports in the US has me thinking that fewer and fewer care any more.

I think it's a mistake to think what happens with the fan bases of any of those sports should serve as an indication of what is, will, or should happen with endurance/amateur sports.

I also think it's a mistake to think that doping will "end" per the thread title. Doping is with us forever. WADA/USADA will be with us a long as the stakeholders in sports prefer less (or at least more regulated) doping over a pure free-for-all. It's pure game theory. The fewer dopers there are, the more effective doping becomes. We have to live with it to some degree, whether you prefer free-for-all, or some level of regulation.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 18, 17 8:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next