Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Mateo: Where do you train, Group Options?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

There is a chance I might move to the San Mateo, CA area.

I am a somewhat seasoned triathlete with 5 years experience..
Looking for some info:

Where do people ride around there? (feel free to show me strava..)
1) Hill repeats early morning weekdays
2) Long rides on the weekends? (i dont mind driving sometimes to meet a good group)

Where do people do their run workouts trails/tracks ?

What are my group options out there, because more the merrier?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: San Mateo: Where do you train, Group Options? [steve0919] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty of all of that in the area.

Most of the riding will be a bit south of San Mateo.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap

For roadie group rides, these cover most of them.

http://penvelo.org/calendar/rides/
http://www.altovelo.org/...65621-ride-calendar/

Point yourself towards the coast and you'll probably find quite a few hills to do repeats on, there are honestly too many to list. Anything from short, punchy climbs, to 30+ minutes aren't too far away.

I know there are some tri groups that ride a bit further south, but I just to road riding, so I'm rather clueless about running, but there are a ton of trails around here as well.

It's awesome out here, and you'll very quickly find all sorts of routes, trails, rides, people to ride with, etc.
Last edited by: BeeSeeBee: Dec 16, 14 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know much of San Mateo itself, but just a little further south on the peninsula in Palo Alto/Cupertino there are lots of tri and road groups as well as terrific routes
Quote Reply
Re: San Mateo: Where do you train, Group Options? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From where are you moving?

San Mateo and the Bay Area is one of the better places in CA to train
* San Mateo College - 50 M pool, terrific masters program
* Cycling - hills, flats, coast, you name it. Relatively safe roads with bike lanes/shoulders, as well as quieter country roads within reach + Mtn bike trails!
* Running - trails, roads, tracks
* Weather - rainy winter, terrific rest of year
* Tri people - lots of them. Sometimes too many!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woodside. You can ride over to Canada Rd. and 92 and head into Woodside from there. Canada is gently rolling, but there are plenty of climbs up to Skyline (try Kings Mtn, or Old La Honda), you can then descend back into Woodside, or descend to the coast, and climb back up Tunitas Creek. Other routes to check out are the Portola Loop, and Taking Foothill out to Steven's Creek Reservoir.

For pure cycling, check out Peninsula Velo. For tri clubs SVTC and Team Sheeper in Menlo Park. You are also on the southern edge for the Golden Gate Tri Club.

This place is tri paradise...enjoy!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to live in San Mateo. Did tri training for 5 years there.

The peninsula has great options to train. Only downside is that the great options are somewhat limited and can get stale after a few seasons.

It's impossible to get a flat ride when riding in woodside area. There's plenty from 1 mile hills to 6+ milers. Posters above me mentioned a few.

Long rides are great to start at Canada rd and 92 intersection. Super bike friendly start. You'll have to climb a bit but you can easily get 4++ hours of great roads and scenery.

The Bay Trail is good for easy rides and runs along the coast. It can get breezy but sometimes nice to zone out a bit and get some miles in.

San Mateo high track is nice and so is Burlingame High. Due to laws both tracks are not available all day so plan accordingly. If you're looking for a good group of runners check out A Runners Mind in Burlingame. They do track on Tuesday evenings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was always a big fan of the Crystal Springs Lake Sawyer Camp Trail for running. It's a beautiful, paved trail with markers every half mile. The location is basically at 92/280. The main trail entry is at Crystal Springs Blvd and 280 (where the Flintstones house is!).

http://parks.smcgov.org/crystal-springs-regional-trail

Good luck!

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply