Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Samsung S5 and Ant+
Quote | Reply
Anyone using the S5 (or S4) with Ant+

Time for an upgrade.
I am looking for the S5 because it's waterproof and has Ant+.

requirements :
run Quarq's Qalvin.
be able to track a ride with, GPS, Ant+ Power (and HR) and upload to TP

Is anyone doing this ?
How is battery life with Ant+ running.
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I used my Galaxy s4 for training inside for a bit over the winter. I haven't found software I liked enough to continue using it. I tried Self loops, IpBike, and a few others. Outside I much prefer my garmin. Also battery life is a concern. Not to mention I am not strapping my phone to any kind of bike mount. 1) because I am not going to replace it if I crash or it comes loose ... 2) because its too big for my liking ... 3) screen glare... 4) battery life.

I did find it somewhat useful for running on a treadmill. But not more so than my garmin w/ foot pod.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the S5 can do all that. Battery drain from Ant+ is the same as if you were streaming music to a bluetooth speaker.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks

Do you run Qalvin ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I was using a powertap. Not sure if that is only for Quarq or not, honestly never heard of it until you mentioned it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
Yes, I used my Galaxy s4 for training inside for a bit over the winter.
I did not think the Galaxy S4 was ANT+ capable? How do you activate that functionality? Seeing as Wahoo recently released their trainer app for Andrioid users, that crowd must be pretty happy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Apr 22, 14 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What? There is a trainer road android app? I must have missed the announcement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ME TOO~! I won't use it until next winter but that is awesome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple things to consider...

- Read the fine print in the warranty info about water damage. You won't be so willing to take that device out in the rain when you find out water damage isn't covered.

-90% of reviews on the S5 have been very ho hum, just like the S4.

-battery life when running ant+ and your screen will suck.

- you are better off getting a dedicated device.
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have the s4, and the only app I run with it is Wahoo just to get everything calibrated on my kickr (then it's back to TrainerRoad with a mixture of BBS for course specific training of course). We had looked at developing a mobile app for andriod to tie into BBS, but honestly it would only be good for raceday where phones are officially no bueno and everyone has a garmin so we decided to spend development time elsewhere. I'd say go dedicated or maybe something like RFLK where a display pairs with smart phone connectivity will be the next wave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:
I did not think the Galaxy S4 was ANT+ capable? How do you activate that functionality? Seeing as Trainerroad just released the app for Andrioid users, that crowd must be pretty happy.

You just need to get ANT radio service for your S4 from the "Play Store"... its free. Then get an ANT capable app like IpBike or apparently T.R. NOW!! and You're off the the races. Although as previously stated, a dedicated device is much better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Time for an upgrade.

requirements :
run Quarq's Qalvin.

Is anyone doing this ?

S4 Active meets same IP67 standard for waterproofing as new S5, and also has ANT+ capability with the ANT radio service app. No OTG cable required.

Use mine with Qalvin for talking to Quarq.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:
I did not think the Galaxy S4 was ANT+ capable? How do you activate that functionality? Seeing as Trainerroad just released the app for Andrioid users, that crowd must be pretty happy.

There's no TrainerRoad android app :).

We're building an iOS app right now, but nothing has started with Android.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
marcag wrote:

Time for an upgrade.

requirements :
run Quarq's Qalvin.

Is anyone doing this ?

S4 Active meets same IP67 standard for waterproofing as new S5.

That is great... Tell me do they cover water damage if it occurs? Just because it meets standards, it doesn't mean they actually stand behind the product...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:

You just need to get ANT radio service for your S4 from the "Play Store"... its free. Then get an ANT capable app like IpBike or apparently T.R. NOW!! and You're off the the races. Although as previously stated, a dedicated device is much better.

LOL...I got super excited, downloaded the radio service and Qalvin on my phone...only to remember I have and S3. At least I know I can borrow someone's S4 or Note 3 to reset my slope when I eventually swap chain rings. I almost bought the ANT+ dongle for my ipad.
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:
marcag wrote:

Time for an upgrade.

requirements :
run Quarq's Qalvin.

Is anyone doing this ?

S4 Active meets same IP67 standard for waterproofing as new S5.

That is great... Tell me do they cover water damage if it occurs? Just because it meets standards, it doesn't mean they actually stand behind the product...

Funny story actually...had my S4 Active for about a week prior to Kona last October. EricM4044 and I decided to swim out to Coffees of Hawaii boat and I brought the phone, closed all the ports and even put it in a sealed ziplock bag. Stuffed it in the back of my suit and took off in the water.

Got out to the boat to take a few pictures and yep, the phone was dead. Nada.

Brought it back to the AT&T store in Kona and got a replacement. This one goes on rides, etc. but does not go directly in the water.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:

LOL...I got super excited, downloaded the radio service and Qalvin on my phone...only to remember I have and S3. At least I know I can borrow someone's S4 or Note 3 to reset my slope when I eventually swap chain rings. I almost bought the ANT+ dongle for my ipad.

You can get an OTG cable off Amazon for $5 for the phone and plug in your ANT+ stick and be good to go.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Jason N wrote:

You can get an OTG cable off Amazon for $5 for the phone and plug in your ANT+ stick and be good to go.

Well geez...I suppose I've been living under a rock or something. Thanks
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ms6073 [ In reply to ]
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
[There's no TrainerRoad android app :).
We're building an iOS app right now, but nothing has started with Android.
FrownArg, serious typo! That should have read Wahoo recently released an Android compatible version of the app that controls the Kickr, not TrainerRoad.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a sony experia z1, similar idea.

As others mentioned haven't yet found an ant+ app I really like more than a garmin watch yet.

Haven't yet tried the underwater video portion of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Time for an upgrade.

requirements :
run Quarq's Qalvin.

Is anyone doing this ?

You're tempting me to go the samsung galaxy S5 route as well.
I might have an unlocked iPhone 5 32gb for sale ;).

-D
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [TriDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can just get the wahoo dongle for your iphone.
Also, the nexus 5 has Ant+ that you can enable with a $10 app. Really, there are not any apps out there that compare to the interface of the garmin 500. I just use it for uploading from my 910.
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah! The wahoo dongle should do the trick but I find the waterproofing of the S5 to be a nice feature. It would be great to have that on iPhone without having to buy a 70$ lifeproof case. Furthermore I realized that iPhone a great smartphone but lack some feature such as the microsd card and changeable battery.

-D
Quote Reply
Re: Samsung S5 and Ant+ [TriDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDav wrote:
Yeah! The wahoo dongle should do the trick but I find the waterproofing of the S5 to be a nice feature. It would be great to have that on iPhone without having to buy a 70$ lifeproof case. Furthermore I realized that iPhone a great smartphone but lack some feature such as the microsd card and changeable battery.

As I mentioned just because it meets the standards doesn't mean they will back it up with a warranty that matches. I personally wouldn't consider any "waterproof" phone acceptable to take out in the rain.
Quote Reply

Prev Next