Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sam Appleton wow
Quote | Reply
Major props to whoever is coaching him!! It's awesome to see someone like that progressing in the sport. Hang on for that run Sam!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Props to Sam, but a cancelled swim changes race dynamics quite a bit.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
considering he is F of FOP pro swimmer I'm pretty sure he'd have taken the W no matter what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Major props to whoever is coaching him!! It's awesome to see someone like that progressing in the sport. Hang on for that run Sam!!!

Matt Dixon of Purplepatch is coaching him. He sets his athletes up well and seems to have a lot of success at the 70.3 distance. I would say he is one of the better long course focused coaches and his roster keeps growing every year.

Appleton's rise the past 3 years has been impressive going back to what, Vineman in 2015?

Looks like Dixon has several others in Racine today.

Reed
Lawrence
Piampiano
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a class field too. Hanson, Reed, Gambles, A. Raelert and Charbot are fast dudes. I almost made the trip to Racine to spectate this morning.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was super impressed he got Starky on the bike by over a minute. Wasn't expecting that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because it was 51 degrees
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold water. Not sure how cold but that's what ironman's tweet said.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what Ironman had on there blog on the Racine webpage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
That's what Ironman had on there blog on the Racine webpage.

Yep I realize that is what the blog says. They also have a video of "Starkowicz" when it is Realert on that same blog. Why didn't you race Dan? Will be curious if anyone else took the water temp.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
Because it was 51 degrees

Seems to be a little bit of exaggeration. Looks to be about 56 according to http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m61.html at 553am. Would love to get an official water temp by a spectator.

I'm in Chicago at the moment and swam from Ohio Street Beach this morning. Wind was out of the north. I'd guess the water was 60-62f at best. Definitely brisk for a Florida boy not wearing a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They announced it at 51.3 in transition. I would have also bet they would have shortened it. It was windy and they had beach hazards and all that good stuff. Was disappointed because I was excited to do a rolling start!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Muncie last weekend instead of Racine. Racine's bike course is to rough for me. Also last year they canceled the swim and shortened the bike so I wanted to do a different race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Well I guess that worked out then given this was cancelled again.

I think this was/might be the last year of Racine?

Race has dropped down to under 1500 participants, not long ago it was 2500+.

With Madison now having a 70.3, maybe the midwest just has too many races for what it can support?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
considering he is F of FOP pro swimmer I'm pretty sure he'd have taken the W no matter what.

Yes! I swam one day in his lane last summer in Boulder and he can crush it in the water. Lessing said jump in that lane for 1:10 pace and I was thinking yards, but it was short course meters. Held on with not a whole lot of rest! Fun times.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 16, 17 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think people are tired of the shitty roads. It did not help that they had to shorten the race last year so I think a lot of people did not come back this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the feedback I've gotten from past racers about the road quality I don't think Madison will get a big field. Racines roads are great but the course they used today was actually pretty good if you take out the few mile plus stretches of roads with expansion joints. Not great but if madison is anything like I've heard, aka like stagecoach RD the whole way, I won't be doing it and I love madison!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Appleton wow [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
With the feedback I've gotten from past racers about the road quality I don't think Madison will get a big field. Racines roads are great but the course they used today was actually pretty good if you take out the few mile plus stretches of roads with expansion joints. Not great but if madison is anything like I've heard, aka like stagecoach RD the whole way, I won't be doing it and I love madison!

The reality is the roads in Wisconsin are hit and miss. They get to such a state where they finally repair then smooth as butter, wash and repeat. I remember when Stagecoach was one of the best parts of the race course back when Shady Oak Lane was a death trap.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Well I guess that worked out then given this was cancelled again.

I think this was/might be the last year of Racine?

Race has dropped down to under 1500 participants, not long ago it was 2500+.

With Madison now having a 70.3, maybe the midwest just has too many races for what it can support?

If Ironman can't make it work with the draw from Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Milwaukee, Madison, Rockford, Minneapolis and Central Illinois I am not sure what can save this race. Frankly the roads are a little rough but the run is great and the swim, when it happens is awesome. Not quite Steelhead quality but a great race nonetheless.

Quote Reply