Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salt pill woes
Quote | Reply
Hi! Has anyone felt sick or actually cramped when taking salt pills. I have only taken them a handful of times. One for a 70.3 and I only took one and I felt sick but no idea if it was related to that. I took 2 today on a 100k ride and 10k run and actually cramped which I rare for me and felt sick. I took one on another long ride and it was fine. They make me extremely thirsty! I have IMfl coming up as my first IM and everyone advices salt pills but I am not loving them. Anyone else had a less positive experience with them? I am nervous going all that way without salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt pill woes [Laurabranson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You only took one?
I doubt taking only one pill will have any kind of effect, positive or negative.

I took 2 pills / hour on the bike and about 4-5 per hour on the run in my IMs. I don't have cramping issues but I do think they help with fatigue somewhat. Noticed this in training after 5h rides that I didn't feel so thrashed and recovered faster if I kept guzzling electrolytes.

Recently I've been using Saltstick chews and really like them. Take one as you're approaching an aid station, crush it and drink water/coke.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt pill woes [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took 2 today on my 4 hour ride. I ended up cramped, Fatigued and super thirsty. When I don't take I don't seem to cramp and not nearly as fatigued so was just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you getting electrolytes any other way? What kind of environment are you training in?
Quote Reply
Re: Salt pill woes [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

For longer rides I usually have one bottle of Eload my other two bottles are water and ice tea. I usually take one gel sometimes two. I much prefer real food type items on the bike. (Banana, peanut butter sandwhich, freshie energy ball etc) For my run I do use honey stinger chews and another gel or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget the "products," especially if they are not working for you. Try drinking some chicken noodle soup broth in transition or small bottle during workout segments. You get fluid + tons of sodium, it absorbs easy for me. Add Boost, Ensure, or Carnation if you need a big does of calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might try cutting out the iced tea- the caffeine could be contributing to your dehydration. A few salt tabs shouldn't cause that much GU upset- perhaps try a different brand? I will say you are doing the right thing by practicing with these during training first!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurabranson wrote:
I took 2 today on my 4 hour ride. I ended up cramped, Fatigued and super thirsty. When I don't take I don't seem to cramp and not nearly as fatigued so was just curious.

I missed this post. Well, this might say it all- maybe you just don't need them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurabranson wrote:
Hi! Has anyone felt sick or actually cramped when taking salt pills. I have only taken them a handful of times. One for a 70.3 and I only took one and I felt sick but no idea if it was related to that. I took 2 today on a 100k ride and 10k run and actually cramped which I rare for me and felt sick. I took one on another long ride and it was fine. They make me extremely thirsty! I have IMfl coming up as my first IM and everyone advices salt pills but I am not loving them. Anyone else had a less positive experience with them? I am nervous going all that way without salt.

You have been brainwashed into believing you need to take on extra salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt pill woes [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aha! That what my husband says! Mind you he did not take any on his IM and he pretty much had the worst run of his life. As a newbie there's so many factors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me as another. The whole idea behind salt sticks is so that those who are excessively heavy sweaters can keep their sodium balance correct so they don't over-hydrate or get hyponatremia. It's not something that's going to enhance performance (keep in mind, your husband could have had a bad run for a lot of reasons, not just because this once he didn't take salt tans). I'll ask you this: what are you hoping that the salt tabs will do in the first place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurabranson wrote:
Aha! That what my husband says! Mind you he did not take any on his IM and he pretty much had the worst run of his life. As a newbie there's so many factors.

There's no amount of salt or calories that can make up for poor pacing. That's what 99% of athletes who suffer a bad run and cramps are guilty of, not that they didn't get enough calories or salt. If salt and calories were all you needed to not have a bad run or prevent cramping, or to go faster, then whoever ate the most would win.

It's all hogwash. Train well. Stop putting so much in your gut, (salt and calories), it will likely end up badly. The harder you go, the more sensitive your stomach will be. Learn the actual pace you are capable of executing.

If you're pushing the limits, cramping will happen, as the muscles are at their limit. If you're pushing the limits and your stomach is not cooperating, you're likely putting too much into your stomach, and/or going to hard.

Hope this helps.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A med tent doc once told me salt tabs are his “#1 source of business”. The gut requires water to process the electrolytes. Get the balance wrong and the gut will pull water from the muscles for processing. Then the gut will retain that water, bloat like a loaf of bread and stop processing altogether. Just one anectodal and unofficial opinion, but look around a warm IM run course and you will see where he was coming from.

Bottom line, I get my electrolytes in diluted form (Nuun, Infinit, etc.).

If you go with salt tabs, be sure to develop an understanding of how much water you need with each tab to process the ingredients in conditions similar to race day.

Ps; gels are the same deal.....think of them as concentrated sports drinks that should be mixed with water. You need more water to process most of what you are taking. Or premixed products. Infinit is an example of a one-stop source of hydration, fuel and electrolytes.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Oct 21, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Salt pill woes [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:

Infinit is an example of a one-stop source of hydration, fuel and electrolytes.

Scott

So is Gatorade. And available at almost every gas station, grocery store, etc in the USA. And available on course at Ironman brand races.

K.I.S.S.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply