Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Saddle sore and antibiotics
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch brain trust,

I have done some research on the topic of saddle sores and have found an older thread on here regarding and treatment. Although my sore is not on my direct point of contact with my saddle it is at a point that is irritated sometimes by the chamois of my cycling shorts. I wanted to get some insight from anyone that could give information that would be helpful to my particular situation.

Background:
A little over a month (maybe around 2 now) ago I was out for a ride with family on a rented bike in regular clothes. This lead to a 'pinch' in the crease between my butt and upper thigh. Over time it would fluctuate in size and irritability but generally about the size of an oblong quarter. I thought it was just a hot spot or blister from being rubbed while wearing regular clothes.

I have been working out as normal paying particular attention to proper hygiene and positioning while riding. After some rides (or sitting in a car) it would be a little larger or more irritated but would go down some if I stopped riding for a couple days.

Personal treatment:
I have tried most of the home remedies that people have recommended. Neosporin, tea tree oil, hot compress, various riding creams, etc. All seem to have some relieving qualities (even if only placebo). I have not attempted to pop it or dig at it as I know that can create many more problems.

Last Straw:
Yesterday I did a century on my road bike (which fits great) and I aggravated the spot. I have a HIM in 3 weeks and want to make sure that it isn't going to be a major health risk. I decided enough is enough and I made an appointment with the Dr today.

Dr Visit:
Dr looked at it and wanted to know the background. It doesn't have the normal pimple look that many abscess do. And it isn't spreading. All said and done, his recommendation "first, stop riding your bicycle"...... Well, kinda hard with the race coming up in 3 weeks. We talked and he said that normally he would look at opening it up and draining it but since that would put me out of racing, especially with swimming and an open wound. He recommend a course of antibiotics to see if it resolves it, or at least minimizes it until after the race. Then if it was still an issue he would look at draining it after the race. He prescribed cefdinir (2x300mg/day) for 10 days.

Questions/ Concerns:
1. Side effects of workouts with cefdinir? I have 1 last big week and then the 2 taper weeks.... Do I need to make any major modifications or just listen to how my body is feeling?
2. DRs.... Is this a standard type of treatment, as far as antibiotics, for this type of skin issue?
3. Any major health concerns if it is still present on race day?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn that must be a bad one! Have the wife take a pic and share! lol.......i have one to the i am living with till after IM (5 more weeks) its getting little more gnarly every ride.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Clearasil cream on my pimple-style saddle sores, superglue on chafing type. Even if the former seems deep, a good washing followed by the topical cream often significantly shrinks the pimple before the next day's ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dealt with saddle sores often. When warm compresses fail, lancing/draining has worked. Using plenty of alcohol/antiseptic, attempt to drain with needle as you would a hearty pimple. Also, you might apply a topical numbing ointment with 'benzocaine' (Orajel, Ambesol, etc.).

ADD: Stridex pads help as well....
Last edited by: Brushman: Aug 31, 15 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a lot of Bag Balm which works quite well treating them after riding (during the ride it's too greasy)

For really tough saddlesores I use a topical triamcinolone cream, then put bag balm over it. That stuff is miraculous. You need an Rx (and it's the same stuff that Lance took intravenously to dope in 1999 but is fully allowed for topical use according to the current GlobalDRO)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Felt_Rider [ In reply to ]
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My big concern with draining right now is having an open wound and doing an open water swim. I dont want to end up with some flesh eating bacteria while I am on vacation.... or any other time.

The race will be in Croatia so I am not sure I want to deal with trying to get medical care while I am there on vacation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where you are from? Sounds European if the race is in Croatia.
If the wound is wet somehow a wound powder is not bad.
For something infective but still closed surface I used betaisodona (that's the German name for it) cream. It's a cream of the stuff they clean your skin pro operation (red brown in color)
A good amount of that cream covered with a large band aid pulls out a lot of stuff.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am from the US but staying in Europe for a while. Thanks for the info on the betaisodona cream. I will go an take a look for it at the pharmacy/ dm tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DM won't have it, go to a pharmacy and get something that can cover the spot also. That stuff leaves a colored mess. Watch your clothes.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get some tea tree oil on that and you'll be good in a few days. at least it works for me on the rare occasion that I get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the start of a saddle sore boil going into IMLP. Not much I could do so I just ride. Preparation h and a few days off the bike took care of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I do: shave the area then alcohol wipe then lance and drain. Then, until your race (won't even take that long), before riding cover with a band aid with a little Bacitracin (or bag balm), then a strip of athletic tape. By the time your race comes along it will be a distant memory. Should heal in a matter of days.

(Every time I buy a new bike I get saddle sores until I get my seat exactly right so lots of experience with this.)
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zinc oxide works best for shrinking them if you can stay off the bike for a day or two. Diaper cream has it in the highest concentrations but be careful as it can be hard to wash out of boxers. Nothing works if you keep riding on it IME.

All of my saddle sores have started when I make a change to bike fit and have only gone away when I adjusted my bike fit that resulted in them going away. In other words, no amount of creams or potions are going to vanish a saddle sore if you keep aggrevating it on every bike ride. Steriod creams are the best but should only be used temporarily due to skin thinning.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there was talk from your doctor of 'draining' it, then it sounds like you have a cyst underneath the skin.
I'm not really sure that is what most people refer to as a saddle sore.

I've had this before as well (cyst filled up under skin). Mine came on over the span of about a week, and grew to about 8cm across quickly. Doc sent me straight to the ER. They knocked me out for about 20 minutes, drained it, filled it with gauze. Had to sit on a sitz (sp?) bath for a few days and pull the gauze out. They leave the wound open to let it keep draining if necessary and heal from inside out.

I was only off the bike for about 5 days, but a friend had the same thing but worse, and he will be off the bike for over a month.

It sounds like your doc gave you the right antibiotic, could also use Keflex. But it may be beyond the point where an antibiotic alone can get rid of it, and may need to let them drain it.
I agree that it probably isn't a smart idea to do an open water swim with an open hollow wound.... If it isn't increasing in size, and if you don't have a fever, you might be able to wait until after your race.
But you don't want that sucker to burst inside you.
Edit - just saw your race is three weeks out... If your doc thinks he can drain it in his office just by lancing it and/or using a needle, I'd do that. You'd likely heal up in a week and could do other exercise during that week. Three weeks might be a lot of time to leave it and let infection spread...
Good luck
Last edited by: gibson00: Aug 31, 15 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boil cream seems to work for me when I have one and don't want to stop riding

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in infectious disease and wound care. It would be hard for me to tell what it is without examining it. Abscess, boil, cyst, etc. FYI, boils look like pimples, but abscess don't.
The general recommendations for an abscess/boil is if it is less than 5mm (size of eraser head) then antibiotics alone should be able to resolve the abscess. Anything larger would require an I&D, incision and drainage. Cefdinir is a good choice. I prescribe it all the time. It has relatively few side effects compared to other antibiotics. Typically gut/digestion issues. Eat some yogurt or take probiotics, at least 2-3 hrs from taking the antibiotics. If it doesn't improve, then you may need MRSA coverage (doxycycline, clindamycin, bactrim, etc.) or it isn't an infectious process (e.g. abscess or boil).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cysts will not get better with antibiotics. If its just a cyst, stop the antibiotic. If its an abscess, i.e. infection/pocket of pus, antibiotics are NOT standard of care. Drainage is.... Unless there is an associated cellulitis around it, the cephalosporin is probably overkill.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the "drawing salve" it's black and stinks. But it will draw the crap out and you'll be good as new. Clearasil any bump that isn't normal to avoid it getting bad. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, Thank you to all who replied with advice in the forum and PM.

Second, I went to another Doc 2 days after the first and wanted to get more of an answer of whether or not it was an abscess or could pose a significant issue if it were to rupture internally.

Doc #2: Looks like a pressure sore from where my sit bone hits on the right side. Thought that maybe it was irritated from the regular clothes ride and then the pressure from my MTB and Road bike aggravate it. He said that the antibiotics are probably not gonna help as he did not feel it was an infection. He said he wouldn't take them but he was not gonna tell me to stop since another Dr thought it was necessary. Said not to worry about any rupture... but to watch that I don't continually apply pressure on it without giving it time to heal as it could get worse.

Where I sit (gently) today. I am still taking the antibiotics and have stuck to riding the Tri bike since it doesn't irritate this spot. The irritation/ sore seems to be going down not gone, but not really tender. I feel comfortable that I am not going to end up with further issues between now and the race. After the race I will take some time off to see if it heals completely and then address it from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [Lederman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lederman wrote:
Try the "drawing salve" it's black and stinks. But it will draw the crap out and you'll be good as new. Clearasil any bump that isn't normal to avoid it getting bad. Good luck.

It's called ichthammol ointment.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sore and antibiotics [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use walgreen diaper rash cream with zinc
in the baby aisle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"All said and done, his recommendation "first, stop riding your bicycle"...... Well, kinda hard with the race coming up in 3 weeks."

Set the ego aside and let health be your number 1 priority

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with this. I've been fortunate to avoid these. FWIW, never go for a long ride without first taking a shower (if able).
Quote Reply

Prev Next