Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle help
Quote | Reply
I don't have a numbing problem, but an issue of constant tenderness where my legs meet my groin area. I switched to the split saddles years ago because I had numbing issues. I originally went with Adamo ism, and it was perfect, then suddenly, out of nowhere it hurt me. Then I switched to the Cobb max for a year and half, then to bontrager Hilo when I bought my SC. I did try the cobb 55 but it seems too wide.

I have always had pain or tenderness in the "meeting" area and also developed saddle sores. I am just getting back on the bike after more than 18 months off...baby and trying to focus on wife and being first time dad etc.

I want to ride tri and road, but I'm remembering how frustrated I always was during riding and after. I have to say the amount of time I was truly comfortable on my bike was probably less than 10% of my rides. I always tried to tolerate the pain etc.

Yes, I have been fit (almost 2 years ago) and can get in for adjustments (which I should since I gained 25+ pounds).

I just want to know if there is any hope out there for me...what is wide enough for numb issue, but narrow enough for no rubbing etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my road bike I switched from specialized romin evo (143mm width) to a specialized power (155mm width) and it was night and day. I have never been more comfortable. I do know some people have used the power on tri bikes as well and they love them. I use the sitero and I think it works well but haven't tried anything else on a tri bike.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 lbs doesn't help. My guess is that the saddle that worked well is too wide now. I would try coming down a little with the seat height and maybe back just a touch. You probably don't have the same hip rotation as before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't want to try a split nose, just off the front style saddle, then go to a shop that can measure your sitz bones. Buy a saddle that's 5-10mm wider. Because you're heavier, it should be a little more padded that what you used to ride. Get the same model with less padding (if possible) after you drop the 25lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might not be sitting on the exact same spot on the ISM as you were before. That and also the extra weight, potential change in flexibility, etc, a lot can happen in 18 months.

I had a good year on an ISM saddle in short course, no issues, started going long and then realized that I had a VERY specific spot that was comfortable on the saddle, as soon as I shifted slightly I would have issues (too wide). I've switched to a narrower saddle with a relief channel (Fabric tri) and so far so good. I have more comfortable real-estate to shift around during long rides or when climbing.

Still getting used to have a "seat" underneath me, life after ISM I suppose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Specialized Sitero? It is a goofy saddle and not for everyone but it might be for you. Any good bike shop will let you mount their demo model and go try it out for a couple of hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
25 lbs doesn't help. My guess is that the saddle that worked well is too wide now. I would try coming down a little with the seat height and maybe back just a touch. You probably don't have the same hip rotation as before.

I totally agree about the 25 pounds doesn't help-but the saddle was also an issue when I was 25 pounds lighter. When I decided to hop on the bike again, I remembered (all too suddenly) how I could never seem to get right...I will look into some saddles, and I am pretty sure that the shop I got fit at has a seat map thing for getting the best saddle...I hope to get there this week!
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
For my road bike I switched from specialized romin evo (143mm width) to a specialized power (155mm width) and it was night and day. I have never been more comfortable. I do know some people have used the power on tri bikes as well and they love them. I use the sitero and I think it works well but haven't tried anything else on a tri bike.

Looking at the current options for the power saddle, they all seem to list 143mm. Which power saddle do you have?

**Nevermind! I saw that I can drop down and see that that there is a 155 option. Thanks!
Last edited by: littlefoot: Jul 24, 17 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they also have a new sitero coming out. looks like a cross between the power saddle and the old sitero. not sure when it will come out but has a picture in this article.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...of_Tim_Don_6457.html

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use chamois cream? If not, try it. Might solve your problems. Don't be delicate with it... really glop it on. Can make a huge difference, and it's an inexpensive try.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Do you use chamois cream? If not, try it. Might solve your problems. Don't be delicate with it... really glop it on. Can make a huge difference, and it's an inexpensive try.
Great question. ..but yes. It does not seem to matter. I have chamois butter, assos something and body glide. I actually do body glide and butter...i even tried vasoline too.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ideally you wouldn't need a lubricant to make a saddle work. From your description it sounds like you want to look for a saddle with a more rounded profile.

The Sitero was an instant saddle sore creator for me. The sharp edge from the top to side and the rapid flare would push the chamois against my upper thigh. It took me months to recover from trying that saddle. Hilo has been treating me well. Round, grooved, and the width changed slowly.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Before I bought anything, I'd try this ^
Quote Reply