Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle height adjustment
Quote | Reply
After many years of riding with my saddle lower than optimal I recently raised it 1 cm (based on inseam length x .883 method).

It feels better than before;however, I noticed that my cadence feels slower (no computer) and that I can feel more hamstring activation. Note that my hips do not rock back and forth so I do not think the saddle is now too high.

So my question, about how long will it take for me to adapt to the change do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle height adjustment [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am always adjusting my saddle up and down in very small increments. If you hips are solid and there is about a 37 degree bend in your knee at the bottom of the stroke, you should be fine. Any adjustment I make takes about 2 weeks to feel normal.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
After many years of riding with my saddle lower than optimal I recently raised it 1 cm (based on inseam length x .883 method).

It feels better than before;however, I noticed that my cadence feels slower (no computer) and that I can feel more hamstring activation. Note that my hips do not rock back and forth so I do not think the saddle is now too high.

So my question, about how long will it take for me to adapt to the change do you think?

Go get a bike fit then leave it. Don't tinker with it.

Long stroke so lower cadence makes sense.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle height adjustment [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the bike fit thing $275 and I can say it was ok but not worth it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few questions

1) who are you to say it wasn't worth it? Meaning, what knowledge do you have to come to that conclusion?

2) how do you know the fitter was any good? Did you have any recommendations?

Anybody can take software and look at numbers but a true fitter can look at the athlete, how they sit on the bike, what physical limitations they may have, etc...and USE the numbers to help fit them

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle height adjustment [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
A few questions

1) who are you to say it wasn't worth it? Meaning, what knowledge do you have to come to that conclusion?

Anybody can take software and look at numbers but a true fitter can look at the athlete, how they sit on the bike, what physical limitations they may have, etc...and USE the numbers to help fit them

I am the consumer so that's who I am!

yes, recommendations were given. I say for the money that I spent it wasn't worth it to me. maybe for a newbie it would be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:

most likely not the best way to guide yourself on saddle height. in term of adaptation.... if the position is the right one.... it will only take a few rides before your body will settle quickly into the new position.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:
A few questions

I am the consumer so that's who I am!

yes, recommendations were given. I say for the money that I spent it wasn't worth it to me. maybe for a newbie it would be

Wow. I too often like to get my panties in a bunch.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle height adjustment [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Runguy wrote:

most likely not the best way to guide yourself on saddle height. in term of adaptation.... if the position is the right one.... it will only take a few rides before your body will settle quickly into the new position.

what would you recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a good bike fit with a competent fitter. i never had a athlete say it ''wasn't worthy'' after been fit. so you saying this make me think something didn't go right....

Now, i understand you might not want to go through this again, but all i can offer for you right now is...post a video of you riding bike on trainer and you will get a solid opinion on what to do....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!!! That would be nice if true. Chances are he would get pummeled by all the so called experts.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle height adjustment [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I offered him to give him a opinion..... and I consider myself like A SO CALL EXPERT ;)

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry not aimed at you. I have seen people post videos before and get abused but like yourself trying to help the guy maybe it would be worth the abuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle height adjustment [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it s the internet! slowtwitch is a amazing resources if you know what name to listen to and who to simply ignore! online abuse dosnt hurt too much once you build up your virtual thick skin!!!

all good!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply