Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [art_k82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Ford Explorer *might* work if you have the dealership completely remove the third row (which could be a chore). I ended up with a Volvo XC60 and just remove the seatpost and front wheel. To me, not that big of a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NoBrakes wrote:
I have old but very good Toyota Landcruiser and can fit:
- 2 bikes in the back with wheels on no problem
- 3 bikes in the back without removing front wheels, if I slide the rear seats forward. Passengers can still sit there with less legroon
- 4 bikes in the back with front wheels removed and rear seats slid forward.
I have never needed to remove seat posts.

I also have a rack on the back for our family mountain bikes but prefer keeping my nice road bikes in the car for security and protection from rubbing on each other.

Have owned it since 2003 and it is extremely reliable. (My dad also has one and has over 350,000 miles on his all pretty much original and it's done a lot of heavy towing).

In addition the front, middle and rear seats can be folded flat to make a very comfy bed...sometimes handy fpr sleeping in before bike races to save taking a tent.

I have a '99 Land Cruiser that just hit 283,000 miles. I bought it so long ago I cannot remember when I got it. I bought it specifically because I can put two bikes in with the wheels on. It helps that my wife's is a 48cm on 650's (heck her's rolls right in without leaning it over). With the front wheel off my 58cm bike goes in with the rear seats still in place.

I'd love a new one, but at $80k+ I'm not sure that is in the cards.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [art_k82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this doesn't meet your upright criteria, but one can put two bikes in the back of a station wagon without removing wheels. (With a blanket in between to stop rattles and scratches.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the rear wheel tucks beside the front seats, yes.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
art_k82 wrote:
tcesni wrote:
Knowing the frame size of your bike will help those giving recommendations and when you do look at SUVs note that a sliding sunroof can make a difference with some models (reducing clearance). So what might appear to be a deal breaker will fit if no sun roof is installed.

We've got a small CD01 and a medium CD01. We can deal with the front wheel being removed, but cannot take the seat post off anymore due to the carbon being placed under stress (even if I undertorque the seatposts when I put it back).

A 2013 (and likely older) Toyota 4Runner can handle this request. Those are the same sizes for myself and my wife. Front wheels come off and I have two pieces of wood with fork mounts. Works perfectly. It is the first thing I tested when I was looking. Dealer thought I was nuts.

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then buy a van and you wife can choose to drive the other vehicle.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my mother has the new explorer and the cargo room in the back is not great compared to my smaller Mazda 5. Removing the seats does seem like it would be a pain. At some point I will own a minivan with a wheelchair ramp/lift for our youngest so I have zero illusions about the inevitability of minivan ownership.

Buying a vehicle at that price on a maybe is a non starter for me. The only sure bet is a minivan.

Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone tried a new 4Runner without the 3rd row seat? I visited the dealer to look at the 4Runner with this specific criterion (bikes upright) in mind. I agree that it probably won't work with the 3rd row down but the sales guy told me you can order one without the 3rd row and you gain a couple of inches.

My situation is that my wife has a minivan but she is getting a little tired of me stealing it every weekend so I am looking for something a little more friendly to my lifestyle (I also camp, etc) than a sedan. I'm currently mulling over a smaller SUV with a hitch mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CR-V will carry 1 with only front wheel removed without folding seats down. To carry more, you need to fold a seat down or take both wheels off.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He mentioned earlier that they're a one vehicle family.
realAlbertan wrote:
Then buy a van and you wife can choose to drive the other vehicle.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:
Then buy a van and you wife can choose to take the bus.

Fixed it.

Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice.
realAlbertan wrote:
razorbacksteve wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

Fixed it.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
razorbacksteve wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

Fixed it.

Amen to that. Hope she isn't on slowtwitch hahaha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think the best answer to your problem is a small SUV (Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, Lexus RX, etc.) w/ a roof or hitch rack. I carried my bikes inside my suburban for years. This year, we're having our third child, so the bikes have to go outside. I bought a kuat hitch mounted bike rack. It's great. I never have to take the bikes apart. It keeps the junk out of cabin. I love it.

If I had a shorter vehicle, I would probably go w/ a roof rack. It just gets it out of the way of the hatch.

A couple times a year when we need to travel a longer distance w/ the bikes, I can put 'em back in the car. Taking the seatposts off that rarely probably won't lead to the problem you had before.

Good luck.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smoom wrote:
Anyone tried a new 4Runner without the 3rd row seat? I visited the dealer to look at the 4Runner with this specific criterion (bikes upright) in mind. I agree that it probably won't work with the 3rd row down but the sales guy told me you can order one without the 3rd row and you gain a couple of inches.

My situation is that my wife has a minivan but she is getting a little tired of me stealing it every weekend so I am looking for something a little more friendly to my lifestyle (I also camp, etc) than a sedan. I'm currently mulling over a smaller SUV with a hitch mount.

My 4Runner does not have the 3rd row seat. Also, I did not want the sliding tray thing that is in most models as it takes up key space (maybe 2 in of height loss). Leaving these two options out gives the maximum clearance. I had to work to find a version without the 3rd row and sliding tray, but they are out there.

I put a Kuat rack on my hitch and a Yakima box on top (with some bike trays) and I can carry 3 people, plus myself, and all of our crap for long riding/camping weekends.

I can send you pics if that would help.

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transit Connect 2015 might be an option, cross between a a SUV and a Van.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does it have to be vertical? Why not a van? SUV's are just less functional minivans in disguise

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [Deej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know the answer to this question. my wife doesn't want to drive one, either. although, practicality and necessity may win out with our third kid coming.
Deej wrote:
Why does it have to be vertical? Why not a van? SUV's are just less functional minivans in disguise

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing I thought when I saw this vehicle was what a great adventure vehicle it would make.
sportstats wrote:
Transit Connect 2015 might be an option, cross between a a SUV and a Van.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
art_k82 wrote:
Currently, I drive the BMW X3 (2006) which allows me to use the standard issued interior bike rack. Back when I bought the car, we had road bikes with metal seatposts. We loved the rack as it kept our bikes secure, and the metal seatposts were durable enough so that we could remove them and stick them back in every weekend without worrying about damaging the seatposts itself.

We have since upgraded our bikes to QR CD01's, whichhave full Carbon seatposts. I have been told that constantly removing and putting back the seatposts is a bad idea and it wears down the carbon on the seatposts. In fact, I had to replace both seatposts this year (not cheap) because they had both cracked, despite my using a torque wrench everytime I reinstalled the seatposts after transporting in the car.

It's about time to replace the car now so I'm doing a bit of research as to what kind of car to get. Short of a van, which is what my wife will NOT drive, what other cars allow me to transport my bike vertically (with the front wheel off) but the seatposts on?

Two cars, sadly, is not an option. So I can't get a beater van and keep the X3.

Tell your wife to get over it and get the Honda Odyssey. It is the BEST travel vehicle - better than any SUV. One trip in it and you and she will be sold.

No need to do any assembly - bikes just roll in intact. Plus you can take up to 4 bikes and luggage and 4 passengers. Luxury is on par with any other vehicle out there. It is the best vehicle for an active lifestyle.
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Nov 4, 14 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

Tell your wife to get over it
yea, that'll do the trick. ;)

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a luxury vehicle, but a 4 door F150 can fit two bikes with wheels and seatpost on in the back seat.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
We can easily fit two bikes standing up in the back of our Honda Fit. Rear seats folded flat and front wheels off.

If we have to, we can fit three bikes and three people. Both wheels off the third bike and half the rear seat folded.

My saddle is 76cm high and close to the roof. Jane's is 72.

That said, I'm looking at buying a minivan next. It's just sooooo easy to haul bikes around. And we can toss our tandem in the back too.

Are those disguised prototype Cervelo's?

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Our Sienna SE is the shit. It's made all of my dreams come true. With a 1upUSA hitch rack for muddy mountain and cross bikes when needed, homies be like 'damn.'
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [Deej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch! Ha ha, actually the photo isn't our car. It's from the Fit Freaks Forum. A little like Slowtwitch forum, but all about Honda Fits.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply

Prev Next