Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ST in Boston... how did you do?
Quote | Reply
2:54 first boston, was only planning conservative 2:58.

heartbreak hill overrated, the hill at mile 16-17 is worse.
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 22, 14 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:45. A PR for me. Felt great through heartbreak hill, but the downhill off it blew my legs away. Did the death march for the last 5K. Seems like the type of course where having run it before is big to properly pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Held on for a 2:59:25. It was a tough day out there for me and fortunate to pull off a sub-3. Agree that the last few miles are a slugfest.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Boston and a 3:02 PR but not what I was shooting for. Started melting at 23- ended up checking out the ladies in medical after crossing the line.
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:38 for me! I finished just over 1200th overall in 2012 and 24,000+ this year! I learned that injuries and gross undertraining can make for a very long day. I ended up walking the last 9 or so miles - pretty much from the Rte. 95 overpass to the finish. I had been hoping to salvage a BQ for next year, but it didn't happen. I gave lots of high 5's along the way and soaked in the festive atmosphere.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:03
Wanted to go sub 3, see garmin link for the rest of the story. Ended up 3:03, man an 8AM start would have been wicked awesome today! The sun was up ALL DAY, crowds were huge, easily 4 deep most of the way. My first boston also. Great execution by the BAA but man, a little earlier start would have made things interesting. Sporting a nice sun burn today. What did everyone think of the finish line death walk in order to get out of that zoo?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/484778466
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:
3:03
Wanted to go sub 3, see garmin link for the rest of the story. Ended up 3:03, man an 8AM start would have been wicked awesome today! The sun was up ALL DAY, crowds were huge, easily 4 deep most of the way. My first boston also. Great execution by the BAA but man, a little earlier start would have made things interesting. Sporting a nice sun burn today. What did everyone think of the finish line death walk in order to get out of that zoo?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/484778466

ended up doing 26.44 avoiding the walking zombies :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squeaked out a sub-3 on a bum calf and 3 weeks off of Cabo. Content. It's an amazing race. Great energy.

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was hoping for sub 2:50, did first half in 1:24. By mile 18, realized it wasn't happening, "cruised" in for a 2:56.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Boston, 3:07. Totally agree on the hills.

I trained for a sub 3:00, but race morning decided to peel it back and run "conservatively" for another BQ. Glad I did, I REALLY struggled from mile 23 on and definitively would have blown up had I gone for a sub 3.

Great day overall. I have never high five'd so many people during a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didnt start..broke my foot at IM Oceanside in freak accident. Still went and saw Meb cross the line which was pretty cool
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my fourth Boston in a row, based on my training and some tune-up races I thought I could challenge my PR of 2:42 and maybe dip under 2:40. I went out aggressively in 1:19 but could tell it wasn't my day as things started to warm up and an annoying hip injury started to flare up. I came in at 2:45 which I was pleased enough with. So glad to be there on that day and to finish not in my goal time, but still one I can be proud of.

I don't think I had much more than 2:45 in me yesterday, although 1:22/1:23 splits probably would have made the late miles more enjoyable than 1:19/1:26 splits did. I am hurting today! A great vibe in Boston today though, just a world away from what the town looked like this time last year.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Boston, 5th marathon. Qualified with a 3:21 in Vancouver last May and ran a 3:19, re-qualifying for Boston, IN Boston which was my objective, with a sub-3:20 as a secondary goal. Very pleased overall, and loved the atmosphere, energy and spirit of Bostonians. It was very inspiring to run alongside some of the folks missing some bits and pieces. One guy I was almost choked up in seeing was missing a leg from the hip down, and he was giving 'er on a set of crutches. The crowd was going bezerk as he made his way along. Simply amazing!

Dave
M45-49
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was hoping to beat my PR from last year's Boston of 2:48. Went out in 1:22 and then blew up pretty early, around mile 17. Finished in 2:55. The last 8 miles were pretty horrible for me. Not sure why I performed so badly relative to expectations. My best guess is too much treadmill running this winter. The pounding was a bit of a shock to my legs. Typically I do a practice run from the race start 2-3 times and was not able to fit that in this year.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20:50-something Saturday morning. PR without an appendix. Finished in the top 5% out of 8600. Top 10% of AG and all men. How often do you get to race 8600 other people in a 5k.
I worked and watched the marathon Monday...

Had a faster race 2 years ago with appendicitis, and much faster races almost 20 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was not a good day for running Boston fast. I know of at least 5 or 6 sub 2:45 guys who paced well and still ran well over 3 hours (some over 3:15).
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, it was nasty out there. I was hot just watching. There were some spectacular blow-ups. I don't think it's any coincidence that the elite women's times were so much faster, relatively speaking, than the elite men's. They had an extra half-hour of the cooler temps to run in and I think that made a big difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:02 for me. Was hoping to pace for an easy 3:40, which is what I was on target for until I ran Newton too hard. The heat and hills caught up with me, and an easy run turned into torture. The last 4 miles or so were pretty brutal for me. Live and learn. It was an awesome time regardless.

Agreed about Heartbreak. My first Boston, my mother met me on Heartbreak and asked how I was doing on it. I was like "This is Heartbreak? I thought that was a couple miles ago." haha

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:50 and loved every minute of it. What a day, what a crowd and what an incredibly well run event. Major lesson learned: run more hills (particularly downhills) in training!
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Eric, it was nasty out there. I was hot just watching. There were some spectacular blow-ups. I don't think it's any coincidence that the elite women's times were so much faster, relatively speaking, than the elite men's. They had an extra half-hour of the cooler temps to run in and I think that made a big difference

The extra half hour was significant as well. It felt like it was 20 degrees warming between the time they opened the corrals and the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11th boston for me. great conditions and crowds yesterday. 2:41.

albert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was an epic day to participate. I cancelled my plans a month ago under my doc's reco. I had a fractured fibula that healed per the bone scan just 3 weeks before the race. I could not do any running or fast walking for 2 months. I began a re-entry to running program, but really wanted to take it easy for my A race later in the summer.

I had a down moment at work on Thursday last week and looked at Boston's cutoff time. From my wave I would have 7 hours to finish, with all of the build up I just had to go. Booked an award ticket on Friday, left Saturday.

I jogged 2:00 walked 2:00 over and over the entire course, finished 4:37 but I did not have a finish goal, just a plan. I had a blast with the crowd, was humbled by the support, had a couple of beer hand-ups from some wicked awesome people, otter pops from kids, some homemade cookies, kissed some Wellesey girls, and high fived everyone.

I would have regretted not going and had a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Now onto my IM Canada training.
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was frost on the ground when I woke up and I heard them announce it was 54 degrees right before wave 1 started. It got warm quicker and it got warmer than the forecast called for.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you and I had about the same day but just 10 minutes apart. I had great volume in training this winter with probably close to a 70-75mpw average and 4 weeks of 80+ miles. I won a local 4 miler on St. Paddy's Day and set a big 10k PR a few weeks out. But like you, the pounding was a big shock to my legs and I could feel it starting to accumulate by the descent into Lower Falls.

I'm glad I took a small risk and went for it and I'm proud to have hung on and still reached a secondary goal, but it was the most painful of all the marathons I've done. Any decent weather we had this winter I'd try to get outside and I even included some downhills repeats late into some of my long runs, it just wasn't enough. That combined with temps that were about 10 degrees too warm and a PR wasn't meant to be on this day.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: ST in Boston... how did you do? [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mad Jee wrote:
It sounds like you and I had about the same day but just 10 minutes apart.

Misery loves company! No real regrets on my part either. My only goal typically is to try and PR, so might as well go for it every time regardless of the odds. It's like an hour of super miserable running when it doesn't happen. There are worse things.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next