Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST Docs: blood tests
Quote | Reply
I had some recent issues with swelling in my left calf for about the last 4-6 weeks. Docs ran blood tests and the numbers were off.

I had quite a few blood tests done in the past 18 months because of an odd reading, they recommended a consult with a hemotologist at that time. However, I was unable to make it work due to a relocation. They are still recommending I see a hemotologist but the earliest I can see them will be Sept. I still have swelling in my left calf (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch larger than right) and some throbbing from time to time.

The did a dimer (?) for blood clots which came back negative. After that it is "see a blood doc".
They also have me scheduled for a lower leg x-ray and abdominal ultrasound (don't know why).

If anyone is a blood doc and could make sense of some numbers I could use some insight before Sept as to whether I am on an express train to the golden gates or just an blood anomaly.
Quote Reply
Re: ST Docs: blood tests [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor, but have had calf issues similar to yours, where one calf is swollen for a few weeks. In my case, it happened after a traumatic event, such as running a marathon unprepared, and not enough warm up before a track workout.

Also, are you over 40 years old? There are many threads and articles on here about calf "heart attacks" for men over 40, so it's not uncommon.

I've had many blood tests over the years and some of my numbers are off, but we attribute that to races/training. Not sure which of your markers you're referring to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grindmonkey wrote:
I had some recent issues with swelling in my left calf for about the last 4-6 weeks. Docs ran blood tests and the numbers were off.

I had quite a few blood tests done in the past 18 months because of an odd reading, they recommended a consult with a hemotologist at that time. However, I was unable to make it work due to a relocation. They are still recommending I see a hemotologist but the earliest I can see them will be Sept. I still have swelling in my left calf (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch larger than right) and some throbbing from time to time.

The did a dimer (?) for blood clots which came back negative. After that it is "see a blood doc".
They also have me scheduled for a lower leg x-ray and abdominal ultrasound (don't know why).

If anyone is a blood doc and could make sense of some numbers I could use some insight before Sept as to whether I am on an express train to the golden gates or just an blood anomaly.

Not a doctor and I do not know what specific biomarkers you are referring to. FWIW, I've kept all of my blood tests and paid attention to them as a natural DIYer. The reality is an off biomarker could or could not have anything to do with an injury/diseases and I don't have the medical creds to say one way or another but getting frequently blood tests can tease things outs and sure shed light on it. This year I started getting tests thru Athlete Blood Test which specialized in blood work of athletes. While it also used a basis of "wellness" and not disease diagnosis, I still thought my own report would be helpful. My complete Q1 test results are here. Q2 are coming shortly.

I hope you get everything sorted out.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grindmonkey wrote:
I had quite a few blood tests done in the past 18 months because of an odd reading, they recommended a consult with a hemotologist at that time. However, I was unable to make it work due to a relocation. They are still recommending I see a hemotologist but the earliest I can see them will be Sept. I still have swelling in my left calf (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch larger than right) and some throbbing from time to time
All I can say is don't f around with this. Push to see the hematologist asap. I had a blood clot and didn't deal with it in time and ended up with a pulmonary embolism.

Your d-dimer test came back negative so you weren't clotting *at the time the test was taken*. But that doesn't rule out a future problem if blood keeps pooling in your calf. Even more emphasis on that if you've been flying.
Quote Reply