Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STI shifting question (changing from downtube shifters)
Quote | Reply
So I've decided to retire my trustee old steed: an 80's Trek 1000 with downtube shifters, and purchase a new bike. I've gotten pretty used to shifting on the T1000, and don't know what's "right" on STI shifting. I test rode a higher end road bike today with full Ultegra components. The rear derailer shifted like butter, but I'm not convinced the front derailer was adjusted correctly, despite the mechanic's insistance that it was. Whenever I would try to shift from the small to the big chainring with a reasonable (in my mind)amount of tension on the chain, the derailer (shifter thrown far right as I rode the hoods) would make an awfull grinding noise and not catch the big ring (in a variety of cog sizes in the back). If I soft pedaled for a stroke it would usually catch. My question is do I really need to soft pedal every time I want to shift up to the big ring? After my initial ride, I brought it back, and the mechanic put it on his stand, and it shifted fine without tension, but riding it again with IMHO any typical riding tension, it wouldn't shift properly.

To compare, I rode my wife's Lemond with full Ultegra on the trainer tonight, trying to up the watts and shift into the big ring, and it would take a second, but catch every time. What's the deal? Do I have an LBS employee ride it in real conditions and tell me what he thinks? Any thoughts appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: STI shifting question (changing from downtube shifters) [Ben in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you try shifting to the big ring (front) from a low gear in the back (~23/25?) Since I changed my wheel to the spinergy, my cassette is a LOT more "inside" than it used to be so I have to be a little more careful when shifting up to the big ring. With my old shimano wheels I had no problem shifting up under load.

Try shifting up when you're in a higher gear in the back (14?) or maybe just try another wheel with the bike...
Quote Reply
Re: STI shifting question (changing from downtube shifters) [Ben in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should not be having this problem. The shop needs to fix it. All the shifting works great if it is well adjusted.
Quote Reply