Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRM suddenly won't pair
Quote | Reply
So I've had my SRM just a few months now (bought it unused, but from a fellow STer), and haven't had any issues thus far (except for the occasional time that the Garmin tries to autozero when it shouldn't so my zero offset goes crazy). Never any dropouts, or indications that the battery was getting low or anything. On Saturday, I rode with it just fine, no issues at all. Sunday I rode the MTB so it sat there unused, and then this morning when I went to ride, my Garmin wouldn't pick it up. I tried using the "search" on the garmin, but no luck. Tried again a few times throughout my ride, still no luck.

I'm wondering what could have possibly changed in ~40 hours of not being moved. As I said, battery seems unlikely because it's still quite new, and there have been no indications that it's been getting low. Magnet: maybe I could stack another magnet to get it closer, but that doesn't seem like something that would change overnight. Other than that, I'm not really sure what could have happened while the bike was just sitting around for 40 hours–even if the SRM was on that whole time for some reason, that shouldn't have drained the battery.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM suddenly won't pair [joeturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joeturner wrote:
So I've had my SRM just a few months now (bought it unused, but from a fellow STer), and haven't had any issues thus far (except for the occasional time that the Garmin tries to autozero when it shouldn't so my zero offset goes crazy). Never any dropouts, or indications that the battery was getting low or anything. On Saturday, I rode with it just fine, no issues at all. Sunday I rode the MTB so it sat there unused, and then this morning when I went to ride, my Garmin wouldn't pick it up. I tried using the "search" on the garmin, but no luck. Tried again a few times throughout my ride, still no luck.

I'm wondering what could have possibly changed in ~40 hours of not being moved. As I said, battery seems unlikely because it's still quite new, and there have been no indications that it's been getting low. Magnet: maybe I could stack another magnet to get it closer, but that doesn't seem like something that would change overnight. Other than that, I'm not really sure what could have happened while the bike was just sitting around for 40 hours–even if the SRM was on that whole time for some reason, that shouldn't have drained the battery.

My bet is that the battery is dead...

Happened to me once too... my PC7 just couldn't find it all of a sudden. Even If you bought it unused... it didn't come directly from SRM... so who knows.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Oct 7, 13 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: SRM suddenly won't pair [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree that this answer makes the most sense, but I still don't 100% buy it. The crank was unmounted when I bought it, and even though it was probably sitting around for a bit before I bought it, I don't think it was long enough to drain the battery.

The reason I'm skeptical is mostly that I don't want to pay $50 + shipping just to have the battery replaced if it's not at all needed.

I did notice recently that sometimes I would have to spin the crank 5+ times to get the SRM to wakeup–maybe it is a magnet strength issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried SRM Customer Service?

SRM Service Center, Inc.
SRM USA
720 W. Monument St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
USA
Phone: 719.266.4127
Fax: 719.266.4284

- S
Quote Reply
Re: SRM suddenly won't pair [stephanl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to tinker a bit more (different magnet, etc) when I get home before I contacted you guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joeturner wrote:
I wanted to tinker a bit more (different magnet, etc) when I get home before I contacted you guys.

I don't work with/for SRM =). Just threw the suggestion out as the one or two times that I had some questions/issues over the 6+ years of being a user, I have always received prompt and sound support.

One other idea/suggestion ... have you tried another (Garmin?) device to pair with the crank? From what you describe (or how I understand it) it may well be the Garmin that is not picking up the SRM signal ... no? If you have a friend with a SRM powercontrol or another Garmin, maybe you can borrow it to test whether it finds your crank.

- S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh sorry, I assumed that contact info was part of your signature :P

Yeah, it's a Garmin, and that was my first thought, because it's always the Garmin. I half wouldn't be surprised if I turn it on this afternoon and it picks up the SRM. To see if it's an issue with the Garmin, I'll try pairing with my Quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joeturner wrote:
I would agree that this answer makes the most sense, but I still don't 100% buy it. The crank was unmounted when I bought it, and even though it was probably sitting around for a bit before I bought it, I don't think it was long enough to drain the battery.

The reason I'm skeptical is mostly that I don't want to pay $50 + shipping just to have the battery replaced if it's not at all needed.

I did notice recently that sometimes I would have to spin the crank 5+ times to get the SRM to wakeup–maybe it is a magnet strength issue?

Post a pic of the location of the magnet... compared to the reed switch. Let's see how close it is.

At least TRY that first... but my guess your SRM is going back for a new battery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this afternoon, it began to work again... Sort of. I turned on the Garmin, and waited for it to load as usual. Then went to search for PMs, and spun the SRM. Oddly, I got the yes/no message about whether to calibrate, so I pressed yes. It say for a minute, and then displayed a calibration number of 0. Went back, and the "Calibrate" option was grey (meaning it must have lost contact). Did this about 4 more times, always getting a calibration of 0. So I gave up, and started to ride. This is when I noticed that I was getting power data–at first I expected it to be way off, but it actually seemed right. A bit into the ride, I did a manual calibration, where it showed a normal value for my SRM (402). No dropouts or anything during this ride, it seemed to work well.

So this makes me think it was most likely a weird Gamin issue. The only things changed from morning to afternoon were: temperature, and turning off and back on the Garmin. Everything else should have remained constant. I could imagine temperature could affect the unit, if the battery was quite low, and the temperature was quite low. But it's only about 50F in the morning, and as I said, no dropouts in the afternoon, so the battery seems fine.

I guess I'll see tomorrow morning if I have the same issue...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joeturner wrote:
So this afternoon, it began to work again... Sort of. I turned on the Garmin, and waited for it to load as usual. Then went to search for PMs, and spun the SRM. Oddly, I got the yes/no message about whether to calibrate, so I pressed yes. It say for a minute, and then displayed a calibration number of 0. Went back, and the "Calibrate" option was grey (meaning it must have lost contact). Did this about 4 more times, always getting a calibration of 0. So I gave up, and started to ride. This is when I noticed that I was getting power data�at first I expected it to be way off, but it actually seemed right. A bit into the ride, I did a manual calibration, where it showed a normal value for my SRM (402). No dropouts or anything during this ride, it seemed to work well.

So this makes me think it was most likely a weird Gamin issue. The only things changed from morning to afternoon were: temperature, and turning off and back on the Garmin. Everything else should have remained constant. I could imagine temperature could affect the unit, if the battery was quite low, and the temperature was quite low. But it's only about 50F in the morning, and as I said, no dropouts in the afternoon, so the battery seems fine.

I guess I'll see tomorrow morning if I have the same issue...

You have a second unit you could pair it with? If you are having similar issues with the second head unit... then head unit issue. If similar issues... SRM.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Oct 7, 13 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Garmin unit do you have? I never had problems with the 800 then switched to the 810 ( like a fool) and have had all kind of issues. I can be riding trainer road and it is I picking up the power and cadence while the garmin is receiving nothing. I often have to go back and recalibrate and sometimes the Garmin will work and other times it won't. In that case I have to turn the unit off and start all over. It never ceases to amaze me the crap that Garmin puts out but I buy all the time since it really is the only game in town.
Last edited by: iurnman: Oct 9, 13 5:04
Quote Reply
Re: SRM suddenly won't pair [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another update: This morning it worked without issue (not even any weird 0 calibrations).

I have a 500, which compared to the newer 510/810 is supposed to be pretty reliable (as far as Garmins go). But this definitely isn't the first time weird things have happened related to the Garmin.

Can't wait for the PC8 to come out, definitely switching over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, more strangeness. Even since I last posted, it's been fine–never missed a beat. Yesterday, about 3/4 through a ride, it just stopped sending data. When I got home, I checked, and the magnet was still there (this was what I thought it could have been). Tried pairing with my PC7, no luck.

This morning, no luck pairing either. But this afternoon, paired like a champ, normal calibration, etc. However, 15 minutes into my ride, once again, no more data. About when it stopped working, I could swear I heard a noise, like something falling from my bike. When I got home, I checked, and everything seems to be there (as there really aren't any loose parts on the SRM). So I think that was just coincidence. I'll probably send it to SRM, just because it seems like at the very least, something's weird with my unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still going with the battery...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this time around, but given that it's been 6 months (of heavy use) since the last occurrence, I doubt that's what it was the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joeturner wrote:
Maybe this time around, but given that it's been 6 months (of heavy use) since the last occurrence, I doubt that's what it was the first time.

I agree... but 6 months of even heavy use isn't much. I have 2 SRM's... have been bullet proof. I would send it in.

EDIT.... Didn't realize the posts were so far apart. Weird how it worked for 6 months without a hitch.
Last edited by: Donzo98: May 5, 14 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My srm pc7 can not pair power to sram quarq 2017 but paired speed/cadence (from Garmin sc10) and HR garmin. i have replaced batterry and check with Garmin 500 and 520 had conected power. I press PRO to pair i dont see power pair only blank pair on screen first. Can you help me
Quote Reply
Re: SRM suddenly won't pair [williercentro1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like others told you in your other thread, use the Quarq app to set it in SRM emulation mode. Once you do that, it'll work fine.
Quote Reply