Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRM Slope calibration on KICKR
Quote | Reply
Have any of you guys calibrated the slope of your SRM while the bike was still attached to KICKR??

I'm wondering how I can hang the weight off the pedal and keep the crank horizontal with no rear wheel attached.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Jan 24, 15 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Slope calibration on KICKR [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try to rotate the flywheel backwards and hold it in place while the weight is hanging off the crank arm...
But... why are you questioning the calibration of your brand new SRM and not the Kickr which has been proven to be notoriously inaccurate as a power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Slope calibration on KICKR [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
You could try to rotate the flywheel backwards and hold it in place while the weight is hanging off the crank arm...
But... why are you questioning the calibration of your brand new SRM and not the Kickr which has been proven to be notoriously inaccurate as a power meter?

I'm questioning both...

I have the calibration kit for the KICKR... used that twice. Offset changed from 431 to 416.

SRM is not brand new... but about a year old. No reason not to check it out.

Kinda sad to think that my 240 watt intervals are really only 215... doesn't seem right based on my HR. Would just like to know the real number :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool but my money is on the SRM :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

Kinda sad to think that my 240 watt intervals are really only 215... doesn't seem right based on my HR.

How in the world does your heart rate tell you anything about your actual power output? A large percentage of the Kickrs have been shown to read 15 to 30 watts higher than trusted power meters..

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jan 24, 15 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Slope calibration on KICKR [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Kinda sad to think that my 240 watt intervals are really only 215... doesn't seem right based on my HR.

How in the world does your heart rate tell you anything about your actual power output? A large percentage of the Kickrs have been shown to read 15 to 30 watts higher than trusted power meters..

Hugh

Im well aware that the KICKR's are reading high... that's the entire point of the discussion.

My HR being in the high 150's seems high for a 215 watt interval as compared to an outside ride. I can ride at 215 without that much perceived effort. I know the story with inside vs outside... and cooling issues. Just making a point that high 150's for 10min @ 240 (KICKR) 215 ( SRM) seems high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Hugh

Im well aware that the KICKR's are reading high... that's the entire point of the discussion.

My HR being in the high 150's seems high for a 215 watt interval as compared to an outside ride. I can ride at 215 without that much perceived effort. I know the story with inside vs outside... and cooling issues. Just making a point that high 150's for 10min @ 240 (KICKR) 215 ( SRM) seems high.

Aha, I assumed that the SRM you just purchased was your first power meter so that you had no basis to compare. I see that your Quarq showed the Kickr to be about 20 watts high.so that stacks up pretty darn close to the SRM at 25. It is always a good idea to check the slope of a new power meter so that you have faith in it's accuracy so you're definitely doing the right thing.

Hugh

Hugh

Last edited by: sciguy: Jan 24, 15 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Hugh

Aha, I assumed that the SRM you just purchased was your first power meter so that you had no basis to compare. What power meter had you been using previously?

Hugh

Another SRM :) Not sure where you saw I had a Quarq... only SRM's for me. Kinda snobby that way :)

As insane as it sounds... I just picked up a 10 speed DA 7900 SRM just for my trainer bike.... and the trainer is a KICKR!!! I got all freaked when I started reading how much the KICKR was off I wanted to see for myself Interestingly, I used to have a CT... and when I got the KICKR it seemed easier at the same wattage. Now I guess we know the reason.

Yup... I'm insane... NO DOUBT!!
Last edited by: Donzo98: Jan 24, 15 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Hugh

Aha, I assumed that the SRM you just purchased was your first power meter so that you had no basis to compare. What power meter had you been using previously?

Hugh

Another SRM :) Not sure where you saw I had a Quarq... only SRM's for me. Kinda snobby that way :)

As insane as it sounds... I just picked up a 10 speed DA 7900 SRM just for my trainer bike.... and the trainer is a KICKR!!! I got all freaked when I started reading how much the KICKR was off I wanted to see for myself Interestingly, I used to have a CT... and when I got the KICKR it seemed easier at the same wattage. Now I guess we know the reason.

Yup... I'm insane... NO DOUBT!!

It sounds like an excellent time to check the slope of your older SRM as well as the new one and make sure they are both correct as well as in sync. In terms of doing a quick cross check, is there anything preventing you from throwing your road bike on the Kickr to see how your indoor power output jives with your outdoor output on that specific bike? That would take into account the exact power meter as well as fit and only leave indoor vs outdoor conditions.

You're sure to learn a good deal in the process.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing preventing that is my KICKR is 10 speed.... and my outdoor road bike is 11.

I would think that is an issue... I had thought about doing just what you said though...

Is there a way I could?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an issue, you can run your 11sp bike on a 10 sp cassette. I'm actually doing that with my Kickr right now. Just run it in erg mode so you're not changing gears too much. If you want to go 11sp you can get a cheap 11-26 sram cassette for $25 on Amazon

Donzo98 wrote:
The only thing preventing that is my KICKR is 10 speed.... and my outdoor road bike is 11.

I would think that is an issue... I had thought about doing just what you said though...

Is there a way I could?
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Slope calibration on KICKR [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Not an issue, you can run your 11sp bike on a 10 sp cassette. I'm actually doing that with my Kickr right now. Just run it in erg mode so you're not changing gears too much. If you want to go 11sp you can get a cheap 11-26 sram cassette for $25 on Amazon

Donzo98 wrote:

Is there a way I could?

Interesting... Does the 11 speed cassette fit right on the KICKR without any type of spacers or adapters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

Interesting... Does the 11 speed cassette fit right on the KICKR without any type of spacers or adapters?

Yes, 11-speed Shimano cassette on it w/o any spacers. Snug but it fits.
Quote Reply