Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRM PC7 without speed sensor question
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks,

I've got an SRM PC7, used it for the first time yesterday, and also had a powertap feeding a garmin 500. (I'm just trying to get the two pms in sync and get an understanding of their variability etc)

At first glance the two seem to be a good match when I am pedalling.

I don't have a speed sensor fitted, and the PC7 seems to be not recording times when I'm freewheeling. The result was a ride time much shorter than the powertap, and a much higher AP on the SRM. (the pc7 was effectively giving me NZAP)

How can I change it so the PC7 does record zero power points ?

thanks
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC7 without speed sensor question [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PC7 wants the speed signal to know that it should still record. What you could do is to alter the settings in the SRMWIN software for it to keep recording when it is receiving a HR signal, assuming you are using a HR transmitter.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC7 without speed sensor question [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh ok. I didn't have HR on for that ride but I do usually wear one, so yes that does solve the problem.

thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW I'm quite surprised though given the number of pros etc that use SRM that it requires one or the other - since a pro rider (or anyone at the sharp end of a time trial for example) might not want to wear a hrm (uncomfortable) or have a speed sensor fitted (less aero)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
BTW I'm quite surprised though given the number of pros etc that use SRM that it requires one or the other - since a pro rider (or anyone at the sharp end of a time trial for example) might not want to wear a hrm (uncomfortable) or have a speed sensor fitted (less aero)

It doesn't require one. It still records power just fine.

If you stop pedalling, power and cadence = 0.

As far as the PC is concerned, without a speed or HR data signal, there is no more data coming in for it to know if you are riding, so eventually it will stop recording. It will recommence recording when you start pedalling again.

Since a Powertap must record rear wheel speed to be able to record power, then it knows if you are still moving when not pedalling.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Last edited by: AlexS: Apr 20, 15 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC7 without speed sensor question [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Alex, that makes sense. The problem is that you're getting NZAP back instead of AP, and NP is slightly inflated also.

Long term it won't be a problem as I'll only use the PC7 for aero testing, the rest of the time it will be SRM with a garmin 500. Just for the purposes of getting two powermeters in sync, its a pain when every time you freewheel the files no longer line up. I also have a wahoo iphone dongle so I can use that (but that has signal problems in the back pocket), but it would have been nice to see srm on pc7 vs powertap on garmin directly. Hence my desire to get the SRM to not stop recording when I freewheel.

Anyway, it looks like the answer is no ! the sun will still rise tomorrow :)

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
Thanks Alex, that makes sense. The problem is that you're getting NZAP back instead of AP, and NP is slightly inflated also.

Long term it won't be a problem as I'll only use the PC7 for aero testing, the rest of the time it will be SRM with a garmin 500. Just for the purposes of getting two powermeters in sync, its a pain when every time you freewheel the files no longer line up. I also have a wahoo iphone dongle so I can use that (but that has signal problems in the back pocket), but it would have been nice to see srm on pc7 vs powertap on garmin directly. Hence my desire to get the SRM to not stop recording when I freewheel.

Anyway, it looks like the answer is no ! the sun will still rise tomorrow :)

thanks
Powercontrol of course can only display the average of the data it has. It doesn't display NP, so I don't see how that can be inflated as there's nothing to inflate.
Any inflation of NP would be a post-hoc software calculation issue, not a Powercontrol issue.

If you want to use PC7 for aero testing, you'll need a wheel speed sensor.

Even so, if you fitted a rear wheel speed sensor for the PC, the files will still go out of sync because different computers manage starting and stopping differently. Only way to sync is via data capture of all data channels onto the same device so they have the same time stamp.

As for the sun rising tomorrow, that really depends on where you are. :)

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply