Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM Wireless TT Images Are Out
Quote | Reply
Here's the rub: it doesn't appear to actually be "wireless". Instead, the shifters are wired to a junction box that transmits to the front and rear derailleur. To be honest, the junction box looks pretty friggin big too.
http://www.bikeradar.com/...pro-challenge-45085/

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Wireless TT Images Are Out [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even larger junction box than Di2? Doesn't make me want to change from Di2 for 'wireless' if the final product looks like that. That box is to big. Doubt it would be easy to find a spot in frame to place that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 bikes not made for electronic so I'm running Di2 externally. This would be miles better for the looks of my bike as I could get rid of a bunch of electrical tape as well as the risk of a wire slipping and getting cut somewhere. I also wouldn't have to worry about wires being pulled out, which has also happened.

I love my TT setup with Di2 but I would trade my Ultegra Di2 road setup to SRAM wireless in a heartbeat; the ergonomics of my fiancée's SRAM Force is much better for me.
Last edited by: soobrex1: Aug 22, 15 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Wireless TT Images Are Out [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look THAT difficult to hide from the wind and I'm sure the weight shakes out as even not having to deal with all the wires and second junction box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Here's the rub: it doesn't appear to actually be "wireless".

While I'm not particularly wowed by this setup, I'm not sure what can be expected for a "wireless" setup. Really, at best the system has to be everything in the front wired together, everything in the back wired together, and the two systems talk to each other. Otherwise, you're looking at batteries for each component. I can't imagine the weight penalty for having 4 or more individual batteries for each shifter and derailuer (more if you've introduced satellite shifters of some kind) and the complexity of trying to keep everything paired together. The obvious advantage of such a system is if one battery fails then you've only lost the ability to shift either front or back, not the entire system, but I cannot imagine the weight penalty would be worth it.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mc.cycles [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's rubbish. At least with Di2 you can daisy chain B junctions to easily hide/relocate your A junction. This is just a massive beast of a unit the is impossible to place out of the wind for anyone running a flat stem and risers. Shame, I had high hopes.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Wireless TT Images Are Out [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iterations, my friend. Give it time.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Wireless TT Images Are Out [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This assumes that Shimano does nothing with their group over that period of time. Silly considering they have a patent for wireless as well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am wondering if this is just for multiple shift point. I wanted what would happen if you just wanted to shift from the aerobars only?
I m totally interested in this set up because I would bet it works amazing. I could put that pod right behind my bottle and invisible to the wind.

Clearly this is for TT/Tri only as the road bikes do not have this junction box. I am OK with it.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 22, 15 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair point but SRAM is going to beat them to market with wireless. Hell, even FSA will beat them to market. I'm not saying first to market gets the user base, I'm saying they'll get feedback first and in theory be able to adapt to it faster.

Building an MVP and getting paying user touches > building something in a closed off garage (regardless of how nice it is and how much money you have)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, SRAM have beat Shimano to market with wireless; however, it's useless from an aero perspective.

Lower CdA > wireless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same argument could be that Shimano and Campy have beaten SRAM to electronic. By years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You tell me how many watts that junction box is costing then, because with a rider down in the pads it doesn't look like any.

WRT to Shimano beating SRAM to market on electronic, absolutely. The auto trim on Di2 front is awesome, but does SRAM need that or other things Shimano has developed? Real TTers are running 1x setups now.

I think the race to wireless is going to shake out as more important than the race to electronic. This coming from someone who is a HUGE Di2 fanboy and tries to talk anyone on my team thinking about changing anything on their bike to go electronic with Ultegra Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mavic says hi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give me the box and I'll tell you. As someone who aero tests frequently and knows their CdA to the third digit, increasing said CdA is simply a non-starter.

In regards to the 'real TTers are running 1x' comment, I live in the utopia of time trialling, the UK. Granted there are a few 1x setups, but it's not many and the top guys are still running mechs (or they're single speed/fixed). It's because dropping the chain is a real possibility and the mech hanger creates almost as much drag as the mech.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can totally respect that. There's a clear tradeoff riders need to make here (as of right now) and it doesn't interest you. Totally fair, just keep in mind that decreasing the size of that box can be done in a vacuum while getting feedback on system performance cannot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 wrote:
Mavic says hi.

Error 404.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly my point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't compare what Mavic brought to market and the technology they used vs. what Shimano is offering. Apples vs. carrots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't know what tech SRAM has built into their wireless system yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was just replying to your Mavic statement.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Wireless TT Images Are Out [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wait until Rappstar is on this as you know that he will be on wireless shortly and it will be an 1x11 set up.

I want to know if this will be able to run as a 10 speed set up or just 11 speed. It would be HUGE if you can run this on an older 10 speed built bike set up and when the time comes, you can run this on 11 speed when you upgrade your wheels.

For me, I have 5 bikes running 10 speed derailleurs and I would love to go with this until I upgrade my rear wheels.

If they offer the possibility, they will double or triple their sales.

I would also run this on my MTB if I could as I can run a standard 11/28 on the rear with my 32t on the front and that would mean a very amazing build set up with those little push buttons.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 22, 15 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, and I'm implying that SRAM's tech against Shimano could be the same apples vs carrots argument. SRAM could potentially blow them out of the water, we just don't know yet.

Either way, I find this all very exciting regardless of whether it is a launch point for wireless tech or if they get crushed into nothingness and have to revert to a wired system.

I honestly can't tell if this is typical ST negativity or what, but as athletes who are likely to be at the upper echelon of spending, we should encourage the pushing of the envelope.
Last edited by: soobrex1: Aug 22, 15 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 wrote:
I honestly can't tell if this is typical ST negativity or what, but as athletes who are likely to be at the upper echelon of spending, we should encourage the pushing of the envelope.

Agreed. Companies should always be pushing the envelope. I don't care what the prices are at first, someone will pay for it. As time goes on, it will come down in price and the rest of us can play with it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next