Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM Red 22 or Ultegra Di2 10spd?
Quote | Reply
I'm buying a road bike and it comes with SRAM Red 22.. Long story short, I wanted Ultegra Di2, but the Ultegra Di2 version of the bike came with a paint job I wasn't fond of, so I purchased the bike with the SRAM. A friend of mine has Ultegra Di2 and he isn't fond of having to change the battery, but he likes SRAM and might be will to swap with me when my bike comes in. So I would get his Ultegra Di2 10spd and he would take the SRAM 22 stuff. This is all for a road bike that I plan to race. The up side of all of the trade would be the fact that I have SRAM red 10spd on my TT bike and already have a couple wheel sets with 10spd and 4 different 10spd cassettes. So it goes without saying it would be nice being able to change wheel sets back and forth between bikes, and the fact that I already have a few spare 10spd cassettes. But is the Ult Di2 10spd good stuff? Better than SRAM Red 22? I just need opinions from people who've used both. Any help appreciated. My bike comes in next week.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red 22 or Ultegra Di2 10spd? [markcleblanc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markcleblanc,
just decide if you want mechanical or Di2.
on a roadie, is Di2 a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist?
On my new P3 tri bike, if I couldn't get the brake/shifters with Di2, then there was no value ( to me ) in getting the Di2 just for the aero bar shifters.... it's not as though the D/A mechanical shifters are anything less than perfect. But I'm ecstatic about the Di2 on the P3.
Charging the battery is an absolute non-issue as you'll easily get 2,000 km from each charge, so even if it's one charge every week or two or month, then that's nothing.

a week or so ago I asked my LBS owner the same question re Di2 for roadies...
his answer was, as a LBS owner & mech, he can and does adjust & fine tune his own bike, but as he said, if it was for his wife, then he'd get her Di2 as it will always be perfect.

My roadie has D/A 7900 10 speed, and the next time I update or replace gear on it, it'll definitely be wearing Di2.

so, top grade mechanical v perfect Di2.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike - always mechanical*
TT bike - always Di2

*unless you're flush
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built up a new Venge this summer with 10spd Ultegra Di2. It is great stuff. I see no reason to spend more to get DA.....ever.

11 spd is just dumb....between SRAM 22 and 10 Spd Di2, it is not even close.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red 22 or Ultegra Di2 10spd? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
11 spd is just dumb

Can you please qualify this statement.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red 22 or Ultegra Di2 10spd? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Red 22. More durable, will last longer.

I don't stress about charging my drive train battery before races and wonder if it will work 100% in wet weather.

I'm not afraid to transport my bike in the rain on the outside of my car

Both mech and elec. have advantages and disadvantages, but given the same price point, you'll get more miles out of the higher end mechanical group with fewer hassles. For some technology is never a hassle and is worth the advantages it provides.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Power13 wrote:
11 spd is just dumb

It serves no practical purpose. Unless you live in a hilly area and ride in them consistently, there is little need for an added cog.

based on my experience and conversations I have had with friends still in the industry, Campag developed 11 spd because they were getting beat to the punch with electronic (despite having started it years earlier than Shimano). So with Shimano set to get the lion's share of media reports, Campag had to do something to offer "innovation" and a point of differentiation. Answer - "Let's add another cog (again)!!" Lazy and uninspired, IMO.

To Campag's credit however, they managed to do it with their existing freehub design.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Grill wrote:
Power13 wrote:
11 spd is just dumb

It serves no practical purpose. Unless you live in a hilly area and ride in them consistently, there is little need for an added cog.

based on my experience and conversations I have had with friends still in the industry, Campag developed 11 spd because they were getting beat to the punch with electronic (despite having started it years earlier than Shimano). So with Shimano set to get the lion's share of media reports, Campag had to do something to offer "innovation" and a point of differentiation. Answer - "Let's add another cog (again)!!" Lazy and uninspired, IMO.

To Campag's credit however, they managed to do it with their existing freehub design.

So because you live somewhere pan-flat no one else should bother? You must find it very difficult to walk straight with balls that big...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Grill wrote:
Power13 wrote:
11 spd is just dumb

So because you live somewhere pan-flat no one else should bother? You must find it very difficult to walk straight with balls that big...

Hmmmmm.....seems I specifically said "unless you live in a hilly area", didn't I?

I spent 10 years doing product development in the bike biz.....I understand more about the needs of the everyday cyclist than most people....better yet, I understand how to develop products to meet those needs. For the vast majority of riders out there, 11 speed ain't it.

Don't really see why you felt the need to turn the thread into a personal poo-flinging contest, but whatever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, didn't you say that it was 'dumb'? How do you know the OP doesn't live in a hilly area? Anyway, extra cogs are useful on the flats as well. You can keep a cleaner chainline through a wider spread of gears as well as keep yourself in the big ring longer (look at Tony Martin's setup). The ability to run an 11-25 and still have all the ratios of my 11-23 is a huge bonus on many courses I ride.

You can get away with one gear, but what's wrong with choice? You sound just like those that decried 10 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contrary to another suggestion I recommend the Ultegra Di2 - "it's more durable and will last longer". More importantly, the Shimano shifts faster and smoother (whether it's mechanical or Di2)! I've had mechanical Dura Ace ("DA") on bikes for the past 25 years and SRAM Red on another bike for the past 5 years. The Red has been problematic, shifts slowly & poorly and takes much more pressure (on the levers) to shift; the DA is nearly maintenance free, reliable and the rear derailleurs are much easier to adjust. I currently have DA Di2 on my TT bike and it's fricken amazing! Last week I demo'ed a road bike (35 miles, group race simulation ride) with 2014 mechanic Ultegra and it performed better then older the DA; and with the exception of pressing levers vs. buttons it rivaled the DA Di2 in shifting performance. Go with the 10 speed Ultegra Di2 and let your buddy have the SRAM stuff (and the unnecessary 11th cog)! And since you have other sets of 10 spd wheels it's absolutely a no-brainer. Make the trade ASAP and compliment him on his wise decision! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Dude, didn't you say that it was 'dumb'? How do you know the OP doesn't live in a hilly area? Anyway, extra cogs are useful on the flats as well. You can keep a cleaner chainline through a wider spread of gears as well as keep yourself in the big ring longer (look at Tony Martin's setup). The ability to run an 11-25 and still have all the ratios of my 11-23 is a huge bonus on many courses I ride.

You can get away with one gear, but what's wrong with choice? You sound just like those that decried 10 speed.

Let's walk through this slow.....

"Extra cogs are useful on the flats".....a typical 10 spd cassette for an 11-23 is 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23. Going to an 11 spd 11-23 gains you a 18T. That doesn't "keep you in the big ring longer" and doesn't really improve your chainline much. Sure, it fills a gap between the 17 & 19. A "nice to have", at best.

Go back and re-read my post re: how & why 11 speed was developed. It was basically a "we got nothing else, so let's do this" move by Campag because Shimano was beating them to the punch with electronic. So yeah, from that perspective it is "dumb." It was product change driven by fear, not customer need.

I love new tech in bikes......where it has value. 9 speed - loved it. 10 spd - loved it. What 11 spd brings to the table is of very little value to the vast majority of riders (especially given the conversion hassles for Shimano wheels). Basic 'law of diminishing returns" stuff.

But if you like it, ride it and enjoy it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
"Extra cogs are useful on the flats".....a typical 10 spd cassette for an 11-23 is 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23. Going to an 11 spd 11-23 gains you a 18T. That doesn't "keep you in the big ring longer" and doesn't really improve your chainline much. Sure, it fills a gap between the 17 & 19. A "nice to have", at best.

That 18T is actually a big deal depending on the course.

It does keep you in the big ring longer as you can run a bailout gear instead of shifting to the little ring. Tony Martin runs an 11-32 cassette for this reason. It's also a big plus for single-ring setups in TT, CX and MTB disciplines.

Saying that the jump to 10 speed was far more important than 11spd is a bit rich though as no one was complaining about 9spd at the time. New wheels are backwards compatible, so people can slowly upgrade if they want, and with the exception of wheels like the RZR's, fitting a freehub and redishing is easily done and quite cheap.

It's seems silly to stick with an old standard when it's replacement has already been accepted as status quo. That alone will ending up costing money in the long-run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man....you sure seem to have a lot emotionally invested in 11 speed. As I said, if you got...ride it and enjoy it.

For what the OP was asking, this is a no brainer.

As for your last statement, it seems silly to go to a replacement that offers little functional advantage. So no, it will not end up costing money in the long run. And when I am forced to convert to 11 spd (which will happen at some point) I only need to change the RD, cassette and chain to an 11 spd version (and not upgrade the firmware....LOL.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hardly. If you look at my first post this is what I said:
Grill wrote:
Road bike - always mechanical*
TT bike - always Di2

*unless you're flush

Gears never came into it, I'm simply offering a counterpoint to your original statement so the OP has both sides in order to make a decision.

You'll probably want to change your front mech at the same time as I've noticed that 6770 isn't nearly as positive on the front as 7970. The 6870 cage is supposedly stiffer, but worst case it's a damn sight prettier (and more aero).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies guys. Gonna make a decision on it soon. What's the value of the trade. His stuff is used Ultegra Di2 10 spd and my stuff is brand new Sram Red 22. Does that sound like an even straight up trade?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 all the way

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markcleblanc wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Gonna make a decision on it soon. What's the value of the trade. His stuff is used Ultegra Di2 10 spd and my stuff is brand new Sram Red 22. Does that sound like an even straight up trade?

No. Red 22 is worth a few hundred more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love the di2 on my tri bike for the brake lever shifting. still go dura-ace mechanical on my road, the 9000 stuff has great action
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red is a better group. It's like comparing a fully loaded used Chrysler 300M, to a brand new mid range Honda Accord V6. The Accord is still a better overall value even if the other has lots of bells and whistles. The Accord is also a lot more reliable... since it's lacks all the bells and whistles... and well in that case because....well your trying to compare a Chrysler to a Honda.

Maybe a bad example... since the Red is a higher end grouppo altogether, it just lacks the electronic shifting. Ultegra is still just Ultegra. It's lower end. Though some say the chainrings shift better.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Aug 22, 14 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red 22 or Ultegra Di2 10spd? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This brings up an interesting point. Shifting is one thing, but there is a massive difference between the 6700 crankset and brakes compared to Red22. That alone makes it not worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brakes and crankset wobt matter as ill be buying a quarq and ill get to keeo the red brakes most likely bc his brakes are integrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM brakes use a different pull ratio than Shimano. They'll work but the feel won't be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He actually has some dura ace brakes to give me. Will that work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markcleblanc wrote:
He actually has some dura ace brakes to give me. Will that work?

As long as they're at least 7900. I find they have more power as compared to SRAM brakes too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next