Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv
Quote | Reply
Just curious if anyone has installed SRAM Etap on a Shiv yet. If so, what is the consensus on the best place to put the BLIP box. Wanted to put some feelers out there before I did the install. Thanks for any help provided!
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [cscameron82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check Sram site here
There is a shiv example there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shiv Tri or Shiv TT? If Shiv Tri, I punched a hole in the plastic tube that normally routes shifter housing so I could stash the blipbox in my downtube. I chatted with at least one other person on the forum who was planning to do the same (maybe you?). I have not had any trouble with wireless transmission from this location. If Shiv TT, be warned that the very short chainstays are outside of SRAM's spec so front shifting may be affected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go take a pic :)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same question. I have the Shiv Tri, but the SRAM article shows it on a Shiv TT. I'm also using the Zipp BPA mount and was toying with the idea of attaching a 1/4 turn mount to the bottom of the 1/4 turn mount. So I would have my Garmin on top and the blip box on the bottom. In my head that seems like it would be the cleanest in the wind. Would love to see pics of people's set ups though.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same question, building up a '12 Shiv Pro with Etap.

Any chance you can grab a picture of how it's mounted/routed, MVM? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this image uploads, you should be able to see where I punched the hole in the plastic tube. I'm currently testing other bars so no cables in there now but then I simply stuffed the connectors through that hole into the downtube cavity, connected them to the blip box and wedged it in place with some foam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks MVM, unfortunately no picture but I think I get the gist of what you're describing.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, shitty internet connection here at home so I was trying a shortcut. Can put the pic in there tomorrow at work but really nothing special about what I did. Hack job that did the trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you try to load the pic again?
I'm trying to figure out how to best place the blipbox on a shiv tri (that's isn't UCI legal but legal for USAC TT events).
Thanks.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mine on top of my TriRig Sigma X stem with the ports facing to the rear. I'll post a pic when home later tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 I would like to see the install pic, I am getting ready to do an etap install on my 2012 Shiv Tri.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i forgot about you posting a pic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did I lol (see my sig line). I get home Monday. I'll take the pic then
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to post the photo with phone, first time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: MVM: May 20, 17 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, any more install pics? Were you able to keep the internal water bladder?

I am now also wondering how I am going to get the blip wires from the base bar to the box with the Magura Brakes and keeping them inside the bar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't actually have a clean install at the moment, and I never tried with the bladder too. You might be able to jam it in there. I run SRAM brake levers and use blip grips behind the levers on the base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did u run the wires from the blip grips to the blip box? Did u run the wires through the base bar with the brake cables?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2016 Shiv Tri frame with the integrated stem (came over from the 2012 Shiv I had and was warranty replaced with the 2016).
Still testing out the best location for the blip box, but it has worked pretty well so far for Augusta and Gulf Coast 70.3s (pics below). Not a fan of it being right under the spout of the drink bottle when in the aerobar cage, but it's very easy to get to for fine tune adjustments on the fly.

Base bar blip wiring was run alongside the brake cables inside the handlebars. The blips on the aerobar ends goes inside the aerobars and out the back hole, then zip tied out of the way and into the blip box. Also, this position up on the stem doesn't impede the use of the internal bladder if you use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you see me collapse, do NOT touch my Garmin... it has AutoPause now :)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM ETAP on Specialized Shiv [TriClyde74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
It looks like there will be room to get the wire through with the hyd brake hose. I dont think I can run the wire in through the brake lever since the brake line runs in the back of it and it use an expansion plug to hold it in the base bar, I guess I will know more once I get it all apart. If I have to I will just drill a hole to run the wire inside. I also think I am going to use the blip grips on the basebar to hold the blips and use the Clics for the extensions which I just order today.

I've been bouncing back and forth on the blip box but think I am going to get a Kedge stem cup mount and mount it right on top of the stem. I mocked it up with the adhesive one that came from SRAM. I was going to try and get it inside the downtube but I think it will fit here just fine and its out of the way and out of the wind and accessible if need be.

[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zps4pscky5c.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpsdvx8ne7e.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:

did you remove something from this? i'd like to run thru here too but wondering what/how you removed it.
thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wire from the blip grip enters my Vuka base bars through the hole on the underside of the grip section. I think this hole is normally for brake housing that does not route directly in the front of the bar. Then it does follow the brake housing to exit. You have to route the blip wires first on the Vuka because the cable exit hole is not big enough to fit the blip connector and the brake housing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used a small knife to cut out the chunk of tubing that you see missing. A clean hole further down would have been nice but it was tough plastic so I just made it happen like you see. Could definitely still route mechanical housing if this electronic shifting become unpopular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any of you install on a Shiv Tri and regret? Anyone go 1x?
Quote Reply

Prev Next