Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM 1x chain compatibility
Quote | Reply
Just bought my first SRAM 1x setup on a CX bike.

Can I use any off the shelf 11 speed chain when I need to replace, or do I go with the 1x specific SRAM chain (or other 1x chains)?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x chain compatibility [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any 11 speed chain will do. I cycle 2-3 chains at a time for my 1x bikes to get way more lifespan out of the chainrings. Generally every 300 miles I'll jump to the next in line for my cx bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use a 11 speed chain on my 1x setup. I didn't even know there were 1x specific chains.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x chain compatibility [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I just use a 11 speed chain on my 1x setup. I didn't even know there were 1x specific chains.

Only 'sort-of.' There's some angled chamfers on the inside faces of most chains to help with front shifting. They took that off for the new 12 speed Eagle chains since it would never be needed. No idea what changes KMC did for their 12 speed chain....besides the obvious narrowing.

I *think* removing the chamfers from the insides would require entirely new tooling for 11/10/9 speed chains, so my best guess is that anything labeled as 1x specific for 11/10/9 speed chains does not go any deeper than the label.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x chain compatibility [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAMs MTB 1X chains are hard chromed. This is supposed to help with elongation wear from bad chainlines caused at the extremes of the cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a regular chain here, been running 1x CX for years now. Just a normal SRAM 10speed chain, I think I usually get to 1070. Only thing to remember with the 1x drive train is that if you swap rings, be sure to use single speed chainring bolts. Normal ones are too long.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply