Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM 1x Drivetrain
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to go to 1x on my TT bike and removing my FD. I run SRAM Force 22, GXP, Power2Max PM. I was looking at going with a SRAM Force 1 X-Sync 54T. I have a couple of questions:

• Any users have experience with this chainring?
  • Do I require a clutched RD? or will a correctly tensioned chain and standard RD suffice?
  • For 1x users, what was the predominate reason for converting? simplicity or watt savings...

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x Drivetrain [Dangs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The chainring is a good start to 1x. There are better options than Sram's 1x chainring but they do cost much more sometimes even twice to three times as much as how much Sram's option is.
Your don't need to use the clutched RD but it does help stop chain slap on your chain stay as well as dropped chainrings, but it is not required for it to work.
BTW, I don't use 1x but I do plan on switching to it in the near future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you search the forum, not the best search, you’ll find a huge thread on 1x systems.

I’ve been using xsync for two season and it’s been perfect.

No you don’t need a clutch rd if you use a narrow wide chainring.

Simplicity was my main reason. And don’t use small ring much where I train.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dangs wrote:
I'm looking to go to 1x on my TT bike and removing my FD. I run SRAM Force 22, GXP, Power2Max PM. I was looking at going with a SRAM Force 1 X-Sync 54T. I have a couple of questions:

• Any users have experience with this chainring?
  • Do I require a clutched RD? or will a correctly tensioned chain and standard RD suffice?
  • For 1x users, what was the predominate reason for converting? simplicity or watt savings...

Cheers

- Yes I use the X-Sync 54t with a SRAM 1190 11-32t cassette. It works great but yes you have to use a wide-narrow chainring.

- No you don't need a clutched RD in my experience but it will provide more security. I drop chains less frequently with this setup than a fd but have still popped a couple of times. I run a low-tension after-market oversize cage.

- Primary reason was simplicity.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-yes
-no
-both and I love the simplicity of only shifting on one side; doesn’t sound like a big difference but I find it useful in practice (it helps that I live in an area with few hills)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.
No.
Simplicity and I save about 2 watts across the -10/+10 range of yaw angles.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x Drivetrain [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using 1X for quite some time in all my bikes. Best setup was using a Di2 XT MTB RD with clutch. Works smoothly. Zero chain drops. Chain drops may happen even with the X-SYNC chainring. Not often, but they happen. It happened to me during a race and was NOT happy.

Found a solution: http://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ch-affix-chain-guide

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i run a 10 speed 52 on the front, narrow/wide and no clutch RD and have never dropped a chain since i made the switch 2 years ago.

i changed because i never used the small ring on the rides i was doing. if you are the type of rider who just prefers to stay in the big ring i think 1x makes a lot of sense. The drivetrain aligns better than cross-chaining with a 2x....so more simplicity than watt savings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going from a 52/36 in the front and 11-28 in the back to a 50T front 11-36 in the back for training, 11-32 for racing.

I think the 54T is going to be way too big for you unless you are on a seriously flat course and/or you are a much more bad ass cyclist than me. 54T is pro sized and you have to think about training too.

Here is a good link:
http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

If you have a 54T up front and let's say a 32 as your largest cassette ring, you would be at a 1.69 gear ratio which compares on my 2x setup to 36 x 21. I couldn't imagine going up the hills in my area on a 21. Even my 50T x 36 as my easiest gear is going to be equivalent to my 36 with a 26 cassette instead of 28 making it a bit harder to get up the hills near me. I am considering getting a 52T chainring for flat races so I have more top end gearing, but given that my average 60 mile ride around me has 4K of climbing in it, that 52T would be too much for training rides.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the 52T x-sync on my road bike and the 50T Absolute Black aero chainring on my TT (because the 52 and 54 have been "coming soon" for 2+ years). I use the Force 1 RD that has the clutch and my cassette is the XX1 10~42. I have never dropped a chain in 2+ years on either bike.

I changed for simplicity. I like not having to deal with the FD. Both bikes are very quiet. Not having to think "now is the time to shift that FD" or "I can stay in the big ring on this" when I should shift. Now I just shift up or down to keep my cadence and power where I want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run a 1x set up on my TT rig, soon to be road rig. 54T

Do run a clutch. Not absolutely necessary, but with a 28+ cassette, it does help to negate the chance of issues.

Converted to 1x for the simpleness factor, and having fiancee who works for SRAM, easy enough to try many things. For hilly and flat TT's and triathlons, it was just simply a better idea.

Plus, as of today, 1x one it's first ever World Tour cycling race......so yea, FD is dead ;)

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply