Hi,

I am doing the SOS triathlon in New Paltz
This year. Very excited. Any tips or advice
People care to share from years past? The obvious
Would be solving the sneaker location in the swims but
Any other helpful hints that got you through the race would
Be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done SOS a couple of times. It's an unbeatable experience from pre-race through to the best post-race meal in triathlon. I found that it was most efficient to stuff my shoes into the back of my shorts. I also found that while it was difficult to get wet socks onto wet feet, the alternative was going sock-free with wet feet and shoes, which for me was an invitation to nasty blisters. Aside from that, the best advice I can give you is to be as minimalist as possible. Don't carry anything you don't absolutely need, which is tri shorts and top, shoes and socks, goggles and swim cap. Hope you have an amazing day!

MAO Elite Team
http://www.markallenonline.com
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't even bother w tri top after you get off the bike.

Put your shoes back on before you get out of the water. This keeps shards of shale from sticking to your feet on shore.

Practice swim/run bricks, with the swims putting your shoes down your shorts in different configurations - to find what works best for you.
Shoes with a soft or collapsible heel pocket seemed to work best for me.

Don't bother trying to keep anything dry. There was a guy w a dry bag for his shoes who out swam me (not hard to do) and I'd pass him in each transition as he was wasting time trying to dry off his feet, etc.

Have fun! It's the most unique Multisport event in existence.
And get your feedbag on after you finish!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [Mikey G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think wearing a shirt is necessary? I hate
Swimming in tri shirts. Can't imagine it keeps you warm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race. I loved every second of it. Prepare yourself for the shock of the cold water on the first swim. After you get over the slight vagus reflex it is an incredibly beautiful swim. Initially I was putting my shoes in the back of my shorts, but by the last swim I just kept them on. You will also be very cold when you come out of water on the first swim, don't panic just start running and enjoy some of the most beautiful views in the country.
This race is very well run by very nice people and an incredible venue. Savor every minute.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it as well. Theres a couple videos on line, and also this podcast. http://www.duyoutri.net/...-running-with-bears/

I haven't yet tried the run swim run etc brick but I am thinking one shoe front one shoe back. Right now plan on usin zoots
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I jammed them both in the back of my shorts and even gained a bit of hip buoyancy. I observed a number of people just keeping them on and swimming. I did swim the last leg with them on and was not that much slower.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conversely, I did the last (short) swim w/ my shoes on, and it was AWFUL.

Definitely wanna practice different options to see what works best for you.
I did one front, one back. Used some Nike Free's, since they didn't chafe as badly as some of my other shoe options.
Some other people wore a 1-piece trisuit, and stuffed the shoes in that.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about a hand bottle? I know the aid stations are approx 2 miles apart or so and I like to have a bit more water, especially if it's warm. I will be swimming in a Tri top, doesn't bother me much, could shove it in there,,.,,

Hat? Sunglasses?
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you wanna run and swim and run and swim and run and swim and run with all that crap - knock yourself out.

After the bike, I went with:
tri shorts, shoes, goggles, swim cap.

I think I brought one extra gel packet w/ me, and a small Visene-sized bottle of elite (liquid electrolyte supplement, since no way salt caps were gonna stay dry).
There's a reason there's such a great feed afterwards - yer gonna need it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks all. appreciate the comments and suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race

Practice with the shoes, but I did what ML did,

Nike Frees, one shoe in front, one in back
put shoes on in the water
minimalist, carry only what you absolutely need

volunteers were amazing

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [d-elvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^ Yup, what these guys said - I practiced in a one piece but found 2 shoes in the back of tri shorts worked best. For me.

Also, someone mentioned socks. Couldn't imagine dealing with that. You've got 2 months - start doing some runs sockless - I used Zoot Ultras. My feet got used to it and I lubed the hell out of them with Vaseline on race day and came away with nary a blister.

DONT overlook ML's tip of putting you shoes on in the water. Not only does it eliminate the shale in your shoes but it alleviates the cramping that occurs to many as they bend down to put them on. Here's the method - roll on your back, sit in a foot or two of water and get your shoes on.

Hopefully you avoid the carnage that is the transition after the first swim. It's like a MASH triage.

Otherwise, good luck and enjoy. Easily one of the best multisport events you'll ever do!
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jul 15, 14 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for past participants--when is "bib" pickup? My fiance signed up for SOS and then we found out we have to be in Buffalo for a wedding the night before. In my role as sherpa, I'll be driving him to the race but wondering if we need to work something out with bib pickup for the day before or can just arrive that morning. Any other info about race morning would be very helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [wasasherpafirst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK there will be a pre race meeting at SUNY in new paltz Saturday evening. Might want to find out if there's race day check in from the RD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
AFAIK there will be a pre race meeting at SUNY in new paltz Saturday evening. Might want to find out if there's race day check in from the RD

Including Beer!

Truth be told, the food is lousy (though ample if you're on a budget). Cool vibe though, as they show some video and give you an informative walk through of the venue.

IIRC, you'll get an e-mail about a week before the race with details. Pre-race meeting (like most) is "mandatory". Good call on asking the RD about alternatives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good info already posted. Some more here http://sostriathlon.com/images/
Minimalistic is really the way to go. And make sure that you eat enough during the race. Because of constantly switching between running and swimming, it's pretty easy to under-consume calories. I always put a couple of gels into my mouth right before jumping into a lake. Makes a hell of a difference for the second last run. Good luck and have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just looked through the pics...seems like many wear tri tops..wondering why. I wouild just think it slows people down in the water and as its wet, its not keeping you warm on the runs..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need. But if it's very tight, it won't slow you down. I wear a speedsuit thoughout the race ... but I have done this race with just about every combination possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a one-piece Zoot trisuit and shoved my Zoot Ultra TT shoes down the front. It worked very well. The shoes are designed to shed water and for sockless running. I didn't do many sockless runs beforehand, but emerged with nary a blister to be found. I did get some chafing on my chest where the shoes rubbed during the swim.

x5 on putting the shoes on while still in the water.

Don't bother with sunglasses, hat, etc. Once off the bike, all you'll want is shoes, goggles, cap, and tri suit or shorts. Nothing else, except maybe your Garmin 310/910. If your shorts have pockets, you could bring your favorite gel, but I found that the aid stations were close enough together and had plenty of good stuff to eat and drink. The after-race spread is the best in the sport.

Best race I've ever done. I'm totally done with WTC 70.3 races. I'm sticking to things like SOS, Savageman, AmZof, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my first SOS specific training day this Sunday... gonna look funny heading into the ocean clothed with shoes on... at least the bulges will be hidden ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a practice run yesterday, 4 runs, 3 swims. Tried shoes down the front and back, shoes on (nope), and then used a velcro strap and tried this in the pic, using them as a pull buoy. I think i prefer the last way, but will probably do another test run and run through them again. Zoots are perfect for this.

Definitely run into the water with shoes on and take them off there, and put them back on in the water. I am sure I got funny looks running out of the ocean in my orange shoes :)

Socks - wore socks, the tight "race' ones. Kept them on in the water. Body glided the crap out of the hot spot areas on my feet and even though I ran 12 miles of hills and socks were wet, no blisters. Might try to start going without.

I had to have a hat for this as it was unprotected and I'm bald, shoved it down the trip top, no big deal.

Unsupported so I carried a hand bottle, left it on the beach for the swims and someone someone stole it on the second one.... :^

Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 28, 14 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're on your way. Just lose the strap, hat and socks and you're there!
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jul 28, 14 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to research the zoots..any other sneakers that will work well?
Quote Reply

Prev Next