Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Quote | Reply
After back surgery and complications i bought a softride rocket off the list so I could keep riding. The beam slipped after 2 rides on the trainer and 1 ride outside. So then I bought an r1 because it had the classic beam that was more reliable. After 3 rides on the trainer, last night that developed a horizontal crack at the front of the beam. Aghhhh! Very frustrated that after taking the time and money building up 2 bikes To have a beam failure on both. I've put on a few pounds since the injury but I'm still under 190.

On this note does anyone have a classic beam in good condition they are looking to sell.

I wish my back would allow for a traditional frame. Can't quite afford other beam bikes.
Thanks for listening to my vent.
Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [tryguy67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Falco?

If I had a back problem that forced me to ride beam bikes - this would be the perfect excuse for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about -
Titanflex
Falco
and best of all - Dimond

would be ones to look into.

Or, find a TT frame that can handle 28C tires or something

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe give Dimond Bikes a try?
Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Maybe give Dimond Bikes a try?

This. Bikes aren't wine or art. Newer is better. For racing anyway. If you want a vintage Peugeot to ride around town well that's kind of cool, but we aren't talking about that. Aluminum is subject to stress fractures over time. Just ask Boeing. Welds fail on steel bikes. Old carbon fibre they were still learning how to weave it and I would not trust it today. Besides who knows maybe they are selling because they CRASHED IT and no longer trust it? Sure you can get lucky and get a great deal. Or you can get screwed.
Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What relief do beam bikes provide for the back? Can you get as aero on them. Just wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
What relief do beam bikes provide for the back? Can you get as aero on them. Just wondering.

They do a wonderful job absorbing road shock rather than driving it up your spine. A beam bike is just as easy if not easier to ride aero as any conventional bike.

Hugh.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, if it's safe, keep riding your cracked classic beam on the trainer. Some of the early Softride guys prefer riding under-weight-rated classic beams after they get all saggy.

Second, the classic beams come in different weight ratings. Classic beams that suit your weight last forever. Ebay will have one rated for your weight soon enough.

Third, Dilbert is not exactly accurate on new being important. The aluminum on the classics and rockets holds up well, as does the CF in correctly rated beams.

Fourth, Dilbert and others are correct...the Dimond rocks! However, it doesn't offer the suspension or comfort of the Softride classic beam, and you post that you can't afford one.

Fifth, Rocket beams really don't like heavy or tall riders. The polyurethane delaminates from the carbon.

Sixth, can I have your delaminated Rocket beam, to see if I can fix it?
Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to find a replacement classic beam, ebay is your friend, search under 'softride'

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cycling-/7294/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=softride&rt=nc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the clasic beam it looks like there is a layer of polyurethane or epoxy most of the Length of the beam holding the 2 pieces of carbon together is where it came apart. It's right an the nose. Could not find anything on fixing this.
Hey Damon, what were the two weights, I was thinking 225 and under and 250 and under but I am not sure.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were different ratings from different runs. Some early runs are unmarked. A slightly later run had different ratings. The latest runs were best marked. One common rating is 140lbs all terrain - 160lbs road. Another common rating is 160lbs all - 180lbs road. A less common rating was, I believe 180lbs all - 200lbs road. Another common rating, and the highest I've seen is 220lbs all - 240lbs road. These are maximum weights, not weight ranges.

The classic beams have polyurethane sandwiched between the top and bottom carbon portions. If the split is at the nose, there may be any number of fixes, depending on your skill set and willingness. Pictures will help evaluation. Given time, a 220lb all terrain - 240lb road beam will pop up on ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 1998 Softride Power Wing. I have a bulging disc at L4-5. This bike has been a life saver! I was able to go from riding a max of 20 miles on a traditional carbon bike and staying pain free before the Softirde to doing IronMan races with it. Tens of thousands of miles since I got it. No issues with aluminum frame or beam. Very comfortable (and fresher legs for the run) and very aero (no seat tube or seat stays)! The beam is listed as "220 for Off Road Use and 240 for On Road Use." I have been from 205 to 160 pounds on this beam.

Habitual line stepper.
Last edited by: zeusrun: May 3, 14 6:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn it tryguy sorry you are having such a tough time. I never owned any of the newer Softrides, but I had exceptionally good performance with the older beam styles. I had a first run Zipp with the Allsop beam and my subsequent Softrides had that style beam as well. So, in the event you strike out with a newer beam find on ebay I would not shy away from the older versions with the older beam. Softride even made a very low end aluminum round tubed frame with the older beam that a lot of people rode with smiles. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeh I have to troll ebay for a while. Hopefully I'll find something soon. I wish I could afford other options but after surgery and missed work, a frame and fork that starts at 1,400 is not in the cards right now.
Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 225lb rated Softride beam from my old TT bike from 1995. I only weigh 150 lbs, I wanted a firmer ride similar to Zipp 2001 back then. Planning on selling it along with some miscellaneous beam hardware. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
Rich G
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding classic Softrides for years (my oldest and still the one I ride most is about 20 years old). At the last Seattle Bike Expo I was impressed with the Bodyfloat seatpost -- much the same motion as the Softride beam. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new frame.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new TitanFlex Al-Ti in the stretch size you can have for $900.

Tom Piszkin
UCSD Triathlon Coach
@TitanFlexBikes
(619)334-7222
(619)328-1870 FAX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you run into a pile of money you could get Moots to make you a YBB-equipped road bike. Or pick up a used Domane and slap some 28c tires on it as someone else suggested earlier. Or cross your fingers and wait for something like these to end up on Ebay.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a road bike with a suspension seatpost?

Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road shock doesn't go very far up your spine when your rotated forward and you spine is mostly horizontal. I only notice bumps on the rear in my saddle.... and only when i have a saddle sore. I do notice them up front... but a beam bike wont help front end shock.

Just saying....

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man never saw a lot of these. Very cool.
Monsieur Trois wrote:
If you run into a pile of money you could get Moots to make you a YBB-equipped road bike. Or pick up a used Domane and slap some 28c tires on it as someone else suggested earlier. Or cross your fingers and wait for something like these to end up on Ebay.

Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP is probably gun shy about Softride products but there is a solution (albeit a probably heavy one)...suspension stem:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get a full suspension 29'er frame and put road wheels on it. I once did Marble Falls on a full suspension cannondale with road slicks and averaged a great bike time. Super comfy.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: SOFTRIDE AGHHH!!!!!!!!!! [baudyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in a Softride beam for my 1997 mountain bike that I bought new/unassembled from a distressed dealer in MT and am finally deciding to assemble it but have misplaced the seat beam. Do you still have one you want to be rid of?
Quote Reply

Prev Next