Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SF Triathlon at Alcatraz Race Report
Quote | Reply
A MOP age-grouper's report for entertainment... or at least views of Golden Gate Bridge (video at end).

Awake at 3am, had breakfast of banana, Clif Bar and electrolytes. Left the house at 3:30, arrived by 4:10 and there was ample parking near the T1. Got set up @ T1, took the bus to the pier, boarded the Hornblower and the rest was just waiting it out while 2 container ships passed through the channel before the start.
The Swim:
The jump from the boat was OK. Race staff was yelling out to jump, kinda like what you see with airborne troopers in movies. I had my GoPro with me. This isn’t my A race, more like a bucket list thing. So I wanted to have fun, and take video since my wife has NEVER seen me race. After the jump, stuffed the GoPro inside my wetsuit and aimed for the towers. After a while, I didn’t see any swimmers to my right or left, and was a little concerned. But I kept aiming for the towers and swam on. Due to the choppy waters, I was getting a mouthful when I went up to inhale (I inhale to my right). I was thinking of inhaling to my left, but I stayed with my right side since that’s what I do. In the pool, I do bilateral breathing, but always end up one-sided during a race. But then again, I see most pros breathing to one side at races. Swam further on, and I couldn’t see the other swimmers well. I know I’m slow, but was I that slow? Due to the current, wasn’t sure if I should continue aiming for the towers (aquatic park), or aim for the Palace of Fine Arts- lest I end up outside the Golden Gate Bridge. I asked a kayaker volunteer, and he said to aim for the PoFA. Finally reached shore at 43:00
T1 (3:27). It was a slow T1 time, but I was trying to get my GoPro mount stabilized, and then put on my cycling jersey. Wasn’t too concerned about time, since I was more interested in getting video footage. The DIY GoPro mount was weak and the GoPro kept slipping, so ultimately no bike footage.
The Bike:
Went with the road bike after consulting with other teammates (lot's of hills, technical course, damp conditions). I went harder on the bike than my usual 70.3 pace since the bike course was 23 miles. The uphills were a pain, but do-able, and the downhills were fun- except for the areas where the roads were bumpy. Twice, there were cyclists with rocketing water bottles in front of me on bumpy downhill sections. Felt good about the bike overall. (1:25:21)
T2 (1:21)
Put on socks and shoes, grabbed the rest of the stuff (watch, hat, sunglasses, bib, gopro) and put them on while running out of transition.
The Run:
I felt good starting the run, and did the run/walk thing (4:15 run, :45 walk). I lost about 3 minutes at Mile 1 aid station waiting for the bathroom. Needed to go bad. I was thinking of peeing on the run, but decided against it since I’m not going for a podium or PR. In retrospect, I should have drank just 1 bottle for the bike distance, but I drank 1 2/3 bottles instead. Beautiful views throughout the whole run. Every time I saw the coastline or Golen Gate Bridge, I forgot about the pains. Again, really fantastic views throughout the whole race. The last 2 miles after coming up the final stairs was downhill and flat, and I kept a faster pace than normal. I think the recent increase in run training paid off. Nice to be supported by teammates at the finish chute. Now back to IM Santa Cruz 70.3 training, my A race.

Video Report at

Quote Reply
Re: SF Triathlon at Alcatraz Race Report [hamachijohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice video! Did you have a GPS on for the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: SF Triathlon at Alcatraz Race Report [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Nice video! Did you have a GPS on for the swim?

Thx. I don't think the GPS feature was on- so as to save battery life. But did have my Garmin 910 on me.

As for the failed DIY bike mount that failed, I used a water bottle in a rear hydration mount. A 1/4 inch bolt through the water bottle nozzle, attaching the GoPro tripod mount to it. It worked during testing, but at the race, the GoPro kept sliding forward. I think the thumb knob screw just wasnt tight enough. Will have to try again next time
Last edited by: hamachijohn: Aug 23, 16 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the map that your garmin 910 draws of the swim course. That's what I meant. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick
Here is a screen shot of my swim. It definitely got rough in the water, and although I thought I aimed at the Fontana Towers for long enough,I seemed to be the rare person that took my route. I am happy with my swim time,as I'm a 2min per 100 swimmer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoyed the video! Nice work with it, and congrats on your race!

I felt like I was swimming forever, turns out only 40min,so go figure. For most of the swim I saw no one, sure did play games with my mind though! I did come out of the water right in front of the actual exit, so no run on the beach, but not sure if it cost me time or not. That run was tough. Terry Davis said the stairs would make the sand ladder seem easy, and he was right, plus as you said, the views were fantastic.

Seemed like a good vibe the whole weekend. I certainly would do the race again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had GPS for the swim (Garmin 910) and looking at the "History" on the watch it said my swim was 2.1 miles. Not sure how that was possible as I did the swim in 38 min. When I have time I need to pull it up on the computer and see what was going on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nickwhite,
Here's the Strava for the swim portion. I swam west aiming for the Aquatic Park, but ended up at the finish (Northwest), just like the RD said it would.
haven't figured out how to copy/paste the map from Garmin Connect or Strava on Windows 10...

https://www.strava.com/activities/685598602
Quote Reply
Re: SF Triathlon at Alcatraz Race Report [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
I had GPS for the swim (Garmin 910) and looking at the "History" on the watch it said my swim was 2.1 miles. Not sure how that was possible as I did the swim in 38 min. When I have time I need to pull it up on the computer and see what was going on!

My Garmin showed I swam 1.93 miles to the beach south beach area. I'm a slow swimmer, so took me 43 minutes. That shows how much effect the current had. We got a free ride basically due to the current.
Quote Reply
Re: SF Triathlon at Alcatraz Race Report [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:

The current was "what was going on". Thanks to the current, that will be the fastest I will ever swim (1.93 miles in 43 minutes), whereas my Santa Cruz 70.3 swim was like 45 minutes for 1.2 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: SF Triathlon at Alcatraz Race Report [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Enjoyed the video! Nice work with it, and congrats on your race!

I felt like I was swimming forever, turns out only 40min,so go figure. For most of the swim I saw no one, sure did play games with my mind though! I did come out of the water right in front of the actual exit, so no run on the beach, but not sure if it cost me time or not. That run was tough. Terry Davis said the stairs would make the sand ladder seem easy, and he was right, plus as you said, the views were fantastic.

Seemed like a good vibe the whole weekend. I certainly would do the race again.

With the choppy waters, you couldn't see the other swimmers well, which adds to the anxiety. And b/c I am a slow swimmer, I had to ask a kayaker where to aim for halfway through the swim.
Even though I am a local, the views will make it worthwhile to register again... even though the price is a little steep.. but I should probably shut up given SF cost of living and Escape prices...

Maybe next year, someone should organize a Slowtwitch beer meetup the night before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty good line, not too bad. You did seem to have to run up the beach a little bit. I did this swim a few years ago, and it's tricky to get it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
That's a pretty good line, not too bad. You did seem to have to run up the beach a little bit. I did this swim a few years ago, and it's tricky to get it right.

Wish I could say I knew what I was doing, but it was the exact opposite. Just aimed for the towers like the RD said, and then at some point felt very uncertain about where to sight and asked the kayaker volunteer. He told me to aim for the Palace of Fine Arts at that point. The rest was the current doing its job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Nick
Here is a screen shot of my swim. It definitely got rough in the water, and although I thought I aimed at the Fontana Towers for long enough,I seemed to be the rare person that took my route. I am happy with my swim time,as I'm a 2min per 100 swimmer.

Wow, that is pretty serious for a 2:00/100 swimmer! Love that current. That video was great, cool idea.
Quote Reply
Re: SF Triathlon at Alcatraz Race Report [shaunylw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I initially thought it had to be wacky on the garmin. Quite a few others on Strava have posted similar distance, so I guess it is close. I can look at just about any of my other races and 2:00/100 is where I'm at. I guess swimming with a raging river is the only way I'm getting fast :-) started in 2009, and now at age 57, I think my swimming can improve, but never to 1:08/100!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had about the same distance - 3567 yards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
I initially thought it had to be wacky on the garmin. Quite a few others on Strava have posted similar distance, so I guess it is close. I can look at just about any of my other races and 2:00/100 is where I'm at. I guess swimming with a raging river is the only way I'm getting fast :-) started in 2009, and now at age 57, I think my swimming can improve, but never to 1:08/100!

I welcome that same current in any of my races!
Quote Reply