Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SC anterior sternoclavicular joint dislocation,
Quote | Reply
An athlete had a bike accident 10 days ago and suffered an SC anterior dislocation - the clavicle moved in three different planes.

Right now the primary focus is reducing inflammation and some limited taping across the clavicle and to take some burden off the trapezius. This athlete also had an AC grade 3 in 2009 on the same side.

Surgery is ruled out at this point.

Anyone else have experience with this injury? Kona is in 38 days, About 50 days past injury. Has any one out there come back in this short a time period to train at a reasonable level, and possibly race?

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: SC anterior sternoclavicular joint dislocation, [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for the morning crowd, paging "gymrat" and "Bmanners"

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: SC anterior sternoclavicular joint dislocation, [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you end up doing here about the sternoclavicular displacement?

I'm in the same boat, with the additional complication of a distal break in the collarbone, and a broken hand too boot. The orthopod has recommended no action at this point (3 weeks out from the crash), but I'm concerned about how this is going to heal up with the clavicle sticking out, and if this is going to make my already poor swim even worse.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: SC anterior sternoclavicular joint dislocation, [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Sam,
I am the athlete in question. While I did not “race” Kona, I did get through the day and finished.
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Taping was and continues to be very helpful during racing or heavy load weekends. I have a great physio team here who helped me with that.

I think there will be some physio exercises for life now. I am still uncomfortable to sleep on either side and the bump at the front does swell if things are getting irritated. I’ve not considered surgery seriously as I have raced with my grade 3 a/c with great results. I was not an awesome swimmer and I don’t think I am any worse post injury. All of the injuries are on my dominant side so it feels like it still does all the work in the swim.

Not sure if any of this helps but feel free to PM me.
Best,
Mel
Quote Reply