Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

Looking to finally make the upgrade to a tri bike ahead of my first ironman this year. I had a bike fit last week and we came up with 3 frame options in my budget
- Shiv Expert Ultegra
- P3 Dura Ace
- Speed Concept 7.5

I am able to get them all through deals with various LBS here in Copenhagen but unfortunately they are not that keen on giving test rides out here so can't really get a feel for them personally. Ideally I would like something that I will keep for a few years and potentially upgrade with Di2 down the line so am leaning toward the speed concept as I have heard that it can be a pain with the other too. Also I just like just how clean the front end is much cleaner plus the integrated storage options are nice.

But I am also curious about the other two, as the shiv is a cheaper option than the other 2 but would possibly spend at least part of the difference to upgrade to carbon bars and although I hear good things about the P3, I see them pretty much everywhere i look :-)

But really would I see a significant difference between these three options? As a guide my best split so far is 2:23 in a half ironman last year on my current setup of Giant TCR with aero bars. The general racing/riding conditions tend to be very windy from all directions and rolling terrain, no really big hills.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are all nice bikes.

But, there is a lot to be said for not being forced to use a specific set of proprietary (and sometimes problematic) brakes. If that's important to you, then there is only one choice: the n.P3.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I hadn't really figures that as a problem, but as I'm not the most mechanically gifted of people I can see the ore integrated bikes possibly being a real pain for that. Also I have heard that the P3 DA does come with hydraulic brakes which are supposed to be pretty damn nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through a similar decision last year and landed in the SC 7.5 with Di2; however, you honestly can't go wrong with any of those bikes. I ultimately decided on the SC 7.5 because I thought is was the fastest bike out of the box without requiring any upgrades.
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [smarty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Plus, if you have extra cash to burn you can do project one with 7.5.
darkspeedworks made a comment about brakes, but the trek has great brakes on the newer version. Much better than my previous bike.

my choices are trek, p3, shiv

trek has tons of storage options that are hidden in aero. That is why I bought mine.
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Agreed. Plus, if you have extra cash to burn you can do project one with 7.5.
darkspeedworks made a comment about brakes, but the trek has great brakes on the newer version. Much better than my previous bike.

my choices are trek, p3, shiv

trek has tons of storage options that are hidden in aero. That is why I bought mine.

Also just got an SC 7.5 - it is fantastic, brakes well, is easy to look after (so far) and is most definitely a hell of a lot quicker than my previous Plasma 20.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All three are fast. I vote SC7.5 because I think it is easiest to adjust/wrench, especially with Di2 (changing around the front end with mechanical shifting is harder but that's true for all bikes). Yes the brakes are proprietary but very easy to work with. It is a very well designed bike.
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
They are all nice bikes.

But, there is a lot to be said for not being forced to use a specific set of proprietary (and sometimes problematic) brakes. If that's important to you, then there is only one choice: the n.P3.

Omega and Magura can be fitted to Shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In true ST style I'll suggest an option you didn't list; if you ate consisting the P3 get the P2 instead and spend the difference on upgrades. Virtually the same bike.
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input on the SC, it's good to hear that it's not as complicated as it looks.

As for the P2 or P3 the P3 is from last year so save quite a considerable amount of money. As at my LBS there is only about £500 difference between the two it would cost much more than that to really upgrade the certain areas such as carbon aerobars and maybe hydraulic brakes. So actually I see the P3 DA as much better value for money if that makes sense. Plus I think I prefer the paint job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built up a P3 with Ui2 and Zipp cockpit. I have standard Ultegra brakes, not Magura though. Can you get Di2 Magura brake levers? That's a large part of of the advantage of running Di2 - being able to shift from the base bar.
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, yes i did realise that after I posted my last comment. Currently you can't get hydraulic Di2 brakes, there are some hacks suggested which involve butchering some Di2 switches and adding remote buttons to the side of the levers but i think that would probably be beyond my skillset. So would expect that to be an either / or option.
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frost wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
There is a lot to be said for not being forced to use a specific set of proprietary (and sometimes problematic) brakes. If that's important to you, then there is only one choice: the n.P3.

Omega and Magura can be fitted to Shiv.

True. The omegas give you another choice. But the maguras on the shiv are not fitted with what I would consider a simple or elegant mounting system. It is kind of an afterthought.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are all great. I personally settled on the shiv for me as it was the best fit and most comfortable. This was the most important thing for me as I am going to be putting big miles on it and it felt great right off the bat. Handling was superior for me on the shiv. The stock brakes work great. That said, I upgrade and modify all my bikes so putting on new bars and stuff was expected and would probably happen regardless of the bike I bought. the shiv bars fit fine, but were a little ugly for my tastes. :> I've spent time on an SC and the old P3. Haven't been on the new one. All fast bikes. I would personally lean toward the p3 of those two because of ease of use.

For me it was shiv/p3/trek

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went through a similar process with the retail frame finder to get a bike to replace my 10 year old Orbea. In honesty, I was seeking to validate my lust for the Trek SC. Turns out it would be a good fit for me, which made me happy.

The reason I'm posting is to offer a suggestion based upon my purchase experience of the 7.5. I built it using Trek Project One at my LBS. When all was said and done, the price on the computer was something like $11,500 (Cdn) but the dealer offered it to me for $9,900! This included race wheels, Di2, and Vector pedals. Not sure if a similar pricing model exists for other brands but it's worth checking the various dealers to see what kind of deal is being offered. You might be able to get more bike than you expect through a custom build, as opposed to buying something on the floor (e.g., you might be able to have Di2 right away).
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [MEW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, i think I am approaching it form a similar way. I pretty much have my heart set on the SC and of the three i think that is the one i will see hung up on my wall and really want to ride it.

I will head down to the LBS this weekend, as they are affiliated with my local Tri-club i do get 20% off as a starter, but I will see what else i can negotiate for or see if i can source the relevant upgrades to Di2 and have them install it for me and give some money back on the ultegra kit they don't use plus possibility of race wheels although i have a firend who has promised me a loan set of 808s for the ironman, which would be nice.

As a follow up question, how long does it usually take for delivery of the Project one models?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a further note on the fit front, I have been told that a large shiv would be the perfect fit for an ironman position and I wouldn't need any spacers (i would need approx 2cm for the P3 and SC). However, is my thinking correct that if would want to get any lower at any point, either through becoming more flexible or for shorter races / local TTs then this will get pretty tricky on the shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
As a follow up question, how long does it usually take for delivery of the Project one models?

I ordered early November last year, and was given a range that, worst case, would have been in the 6 week range. I actually had it before the end of November though - very fast. YMMV.

Down side is all I can do is look at it (and not even much of that since I have a cover for it to keep the cat litter dust off). I was actually injured at the time and that didn't resolve until end of January (so not even trainer rides), and now I have other health issues such that I probably won't be able to ride it until June at the earliest. At least I should miss the rainy part of the spring...
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [MEW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats unfortunate. Hopefully you will be able to get out and enjoy your purchase pretty soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is SC. My wife got a project one last year and it is a super nice bike. It is just a really well thought out bike. The cockpit is super clean, easy to upgrade to di2 with no exposed cables, really adjustable, and not too bad to work on.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: SC 7.5 vs Shiv vs P3 [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you SC owners have all done a good job of convincing me. I placed my order yesterday for the SC 7.5 with mechanical ultegra. Although I did get a good offer on a shiv from one LBS with free helmet and pedals i think I just wanted to go for the Speed Concept as just love the integration for a bike of that price range, plus would be an easier job to upgrade to Di2 when the time comes.......now to play the waiting game I've been quoted 30 days for delivery :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice...i went from shiv to SC, love the custom paint.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! You will love the bike :)

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply