Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ruster Hen House Dimensions
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to buy either a hen house or an armored hen house in the near future, but have read a few posts where people have said they got dinged on it (specifically the armored one) because it exceeded 62 inches.

Could someone that owns one, please measure it and post up the actual dimensions, which appear to be MIA from the internet.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.rustersports.com/...kingInstructions.pdf

page 12:
30" on the ground, 24" high, 8" wide.

I have one (armored), I'll double check it when I get home.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks (and for checking)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is merely an attempt to game the system, as if you look at quoted measurements, there is no way a standard tri frame can fit within those dimensions were they a box.. it might sneek by, but if there were a 30x24x8 box you attempted to fit the henhouse into, you would not succeed(rotate the hen house any way you want, it won't fit.) so, I think if called out, you'd have to pay. you can't make up how you want to measure the dimensions any more than the airline can(and it is their call). show me a non-coupled frame that is not longer than 30" from one end to the other(within a 24" vertical space)
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I think it is merely an attempt to game the system, as if you look at quoted measurements, there is no way a standard tri frame can fit within those dimensions were they a box.. it might sneek by, but if there were a 30x24x8 box you attempted to fit the henhouse into, you would not succeed(rotate the hen house any way you want, it won't fit.) so, I think if called out, you'd have to pay. you can't make up how you want to measure the dimensions any more than the airline can(and it is their call). show me a non-coupled frame that is not longer than 30" from one end to the other(within a 24" vertical space)
It's going to depend on how the fine print is written for each airline. Some of them will charge you extra for a bike just because it is a bike, regardless of how you pack it. But for what it's worth, I've seen people bring guitar cases and bags of golf clubs that are longer than this case.

I bought the thing mainly because the size is more convenient - it'll easily fit in the backseat of a compact rental car. If I avoid oversize fees, that's a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may actually measure out greater than 62", but so do most large suitcases. I've never been dinged on it. I have NEVER seen an airline employee take out a measuring tape for a checked bag, but they merely apply the "I know that's way too big" standard to regular bike cases. When asked, it's "sports equipment," or "some tools." I also try to dress like a normal person, including using a normal rolling bag as my carryon vs a transition bag.
It will fit any bike you want it to most likely, as I've fit my size L Giant Trinity Advanced, 63cm CAAD10, and two different XL full-suspension 29ers. Maybe a downhill bike or my beach cruiser wouldn't fit, or if I were 6'10", but i doubt any of those things apply to you either. I've actually found it to be an added benefit to have to remove the fork, because it enables me to look at the headset for trainer sweat-caused corrosion more frequebtly than I probably would otherwise.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan to call it "sports equipment" if they ask. If thye want clarification, then it's bicycle parts.... since it's not a functional bicycle when it's disassembled, It's a bag of bike parts.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I plan to call it "sports equipment" if they ask. If thye want clarification, then it's bicycle parts.... since it's not a functional bicycle when it's disassembled, It's a bag of bike parts.

I like the way you think!!!

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [Lacticbath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used "carbon fiber demonstration materials"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No longer have one so I can't measure it. I got dinged a few times but also didn't a few times. In the end i sold it because I grew tired of the build and tear down process as well as never knowing if I'd be charged or not.

I now have a Scicon Aerocomfort and can pack or unpack my bike in 5 mins and I just factor in the bike fee into my budget plans but am pleasantly surprised when I don't get charge for it - coming back from Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a regular one and flown with it a few times and no problems(even to europe).
once the gate agent took a pic bc she wanted to show her husband so they could buy one(both are cyclists).

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked with a tape measure and the listed lengths are correct as it sits on the ground (30" on the ground, 24" high, 8" depth). But the box dimensions are about 44" x 24" x 8". Whether they check that closely or not... luck of the draw.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [Lacticbath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticbath wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
I plan to call it "sports equipment" if they ask. If they want clarification, then it's bicycle parts.... since it's not a functional bicycle when it's disassembled, It's a bag of bike parts.

I like the way you think!!!

Great idea, UNTIL you have a claim for a busted frame or a torqued wheel. Then, when you tell the airline that the box really contained a $3,000 bicycle, they'll deny the claim because you knew it was a bike and subject to baggage charges (which includes the airline's consideration of insurance and potential loss) and didn't disclose it.

You're always better disclosing. The real issue at hand is transfer of risk, and if you think about it from both ends, it's unreasonable to transfer risk for a $3,000 bicycle to the airline without their assumption and acknowledgment of that risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most airlines have limited liability clauses for bikes in any sort of soft case, even if you pay the oversize fee (like a Scicon, Biknd bag).
Standard liability is only $3400 for domestic US travel, although you can typically purchase addtl declared value up to $5,000 (still not gonna cover a completely trashed superbike).
You're likely screwed and/or at the mercy of the airline regardless. It's worth exploring additional coverage through credit card or other avenues, which you may not even realize you have in some cases.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
It's going to depend on how the fine print is written for each airline. Some of them will charge you extra for a bike just because it is a bike, regardless of how you pack it.
This is exactly why I've been charged...when I've been charged. A bike, is a bike, is a bike. The airlines have special rules for how to handle a bike vs. other types of luggage.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been hammered with the "it's a bike" argument.

solution, NEVER go to the check in counter, ALWAYS go to curbside check in and flash the skycap a $20... usually gets the job done and stating that it is "trade show equipment." if opened up, well it's a bicycle trade show... if you travel with a separate wheel bag, the bike frame is no longer a bicycle, definition of a bicycle includes wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

Finally flew with mine for PR and used the bike parts line flying southwest

Guy at baltimore didn't even weigh it, asked what was in it I said wheels and bike parts it fits your dimensions, he chuckled and was like hey I was curious hope you didn't think I was being nosey.

PR girl, wheels and bike parts, looks at me funny asks girl at next counter if bike parts are a bike said nope.. again just slapped on tags.

Think I'll keep using that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you use the armored one, or the standard hen house?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Did you use the armored one, or the standard hen house?

Standard

After using it I wish it had wheels.. not 130 bucks wish though, just thought a few times wheels would be nice.

I didn't bring the shoulder straps with me since I use backpacks not suitcases and testing it around my house I thought I could carry them fine by hand. However on the return with a few more things in them (dirty clothes) they were weighed down enough that they dragged as I walked and wished I had the straps with me. I can't remember if it was the wheel bag or bike bag dragging.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:

solution, NEVER go to the check in counter, ALWAYS go to curbside check in and flash the skycap a $20... usually gets the job done and stating that it is "trade show equipment." if opened up, well it's a bicycle trade show... if you travel with a separate wheel bag, the bike frame is no longer a bicycle, definition of a bicycle includes wheels.
"usually" ...when curbside is uncertain they ask the counter (had it happen to me), at which point I get "it's a bike, plain and simple, so we 'have to' charge bike shipping"

It just seems to depend on the airport and the agent.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
SDinhofer wrote:

"usually" ...when curbside is uncertain they ask the counter (had it happen to me), at which point I get "it's a bike, plain and simple, so we 'have to' charge bike shipping"

It just seems to depend on the airport and the agent.

or how visible the twenty is... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I traveled to/from New Orleans on Southwest last weekend with the Armored version. No questions asked on the outbound flight, but I think I got lucky with a fairly young girl who didn't really care.

On the return, the first lady I got claimed that Southwest's policy was to charge for a bike regardless of size (which isn't true). Her manager came out with a tape measure and proceeded to measure across the diagonal, from wheels to the pointy end, and hit me with $75. I tried to argue the point, but frankly I wasn't prepared and hadn't seen the diagram of how Ruster claims it fits within 62". I did manage to call Southwest customer service and get if refunded...but that probably won't work every time.

I'm a little nervous that in the future...if someone wants to break out a tape measure, that I'll be able to convince them to measure like the diagram has it, where the 30" is only the part that sits on the ground.

I'd love to hear TJ's take, as I'm sure he has encountered this a lot, and this is his brainchild.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too went to New Orleans but traveled with Delta using the Hen House. Here is my first time experience:

Departed Salt Lake City and did curbside check-in. No asking of what is in the case, made sure that the $10 was visible when handing the bags to him. NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.
-I however did not take Ruster's advice when packing the wheels and using cardboard for reinforcing. When my baggage arrived in New Orleans, my front wheel was out of true. I had to pay $18 to true it up. TSA had rifled through it and didn't put the wheel caps back on.

Departing New Orleans and did a ticket counter baggage check.
As I was walking up to the counter, the clerk says, "that must be a bike."
I was really annoyed that it was the first thing he said, so I responded, "No, its not."
He asked me what it was and I used these exact words, "Its a carbon composite frame."
The clerk then told me that he will put it in the computer as "a carbon composite frame."
He then proceeded to pick up the bag and said, "It seems awfully heavy for a carbon frame."
I responded, "That's because I have other equipment in there as well."
That was the end of discussion. NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.
-This time around I used cardboard covers around my wheels and everything arrived in perfect condition. I suspect that I was lucky in not getting charged. Here is the way I see it... When you disassemble a bike and pack it to be transported without special handling, I am completely fine with telling them that it is not a bike (functional) but rather parts. If you had jet parts inside your suitcase like an aerospace hose or something to that effect, is it right to say that it's an airplane...um no! I also found that on the second time, having an expression that I was annoyed and inconvenienced by them mistakenly identifying it as a bike could have helped as well.

-I ended up packing another carry-on that rolled and put the wheel bag on my extended pull handles, similar to the armored version has you put it on the rolling bag and it worked perfect. The frame bag was quite heavy though, you don't want to be lugging that bag around too long.

I saved $150 each way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Hen House Dimensions [Jlocout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If yu are using a bag that has frame in one & wheels in another bag, neither bag is a "bicycle"

One is bicycle wheels, the other is bicycle parts (primarily a frame) but based on Webster or any other dictionary's definition, broken into two bags, neither bag qualifies as a bicycle.

Good luck at the airport with that, but well written letters to customer service after the fact usually solve issues, or get you vouchers
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figured I'd follow up on this. I bought an armored hen house and used it to fly to IMTX from Milwaukee.

When I checked in at MKE I had no issues, I was charged the normal checked bag fees. I also got the impression that the ticket agent knew exactly what was in the bags.

When I departed IAH - again no issues, I was charged the normal fees - no bike feed. I again got the impression that the ticket agent knew what was in the bags.

I arrived at MKE via a different flight than booked because of delays at IAH - and my bike arrived the next day. The person at the baggage claim office said to me "I bet you're glad your bike showed up with no problems."

Long story short - I saved $230 bucks on baggage fees - and will be very close to breaking even after one more flight - all while the airlines apparently know that it is a bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next