Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running vs Weights Challenge
Quote | Reply
My boss has always been big into lifting but about a year ago started running. Never outside just. 5k most days on the treadmill.

Somehow someone challenged us to a fitness contest. I don't lift at all but to make it fair we are thinking:

1point per bench press at 100% of body weight
1point per squat at 150% of body weight
1poiny per deadlift at 150% of body weight

I am clearly faster at running, probably around 19min 5k right now vs his 22-23 daily 5k. The run will be outside but any thoughts on a scale or points?

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Running vs Weights Challenge [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the standard is 1 point per quarter mile?

If you're both running the same distance, maybe a bonus point for each minute quicker the faster one is?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Running vs Weights Challenge [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I think the standard is 1 point per quarter mile?

If you're both running the same distance, maybe a bonus point for each minute quicker the faster one is?

So a times based challenge and for each quarter mile you run 1 point. 30minutes? 45minutes?

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would replace squats with pullups, squats can be subjective, not so much with bench press, dead lifts and pullups.
Quote Reply
Re: Running vs Weights Challenge [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
I would replace squats with pullups, squats can be subjective, not so much with bench press, dead lifts and pullups.

Bodyweight is a better contest. For legs do single leg pistol squats.

When I used to lift a bunch I had trouble with high weights on the bench as my wrists didn't like that position (we are talking 20+ percent over my body weight. But I could easily do dumbbell bench at my bodyweight as my wrists were in a more comfortable position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For each rep accomplished, knock off :10-:15 seconds off the 5k time. Whoever runs the fastest adjusted time, wins.

I've done a few "Pump and Runs" where you bench your body weight to failure and then run a 5k. Each rep on the bench would knock :30 off the 5k time. It was very impressive to see people go into the negatives for their adjusted time!
Quote Reply
Re: Running vs Weights Challenge [SwimShoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply