Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running shoes cause tendonitis? Brooks v. Mizuno
Quote | Reply
I have used the Brooks Pure line for the past few years; however, recently I bought two pairs of Mizunos (specifically the hitogami and the cursoris).

My injuries have been few and far between when in the Brooks. If I had any issue, it was solved by using the foam roller on my glutes which tend to be tight. However, I've put about 100 miles on the Mizunos together and my left ankle has grown to be really sore. I ignored it for a bit because I had a late season race within a month, but it kept getting worse and worse up until after race day when I finally gave it a rest. It's been 3 weeks since the race and I've only run twice, but both times the ankle started to hurt.

Is it the shoes? I didn't increase mileage/intensity much, if at all -- steady 40 mpw. I never had any issues with tendonitis (assuming that's what it is -- it hurts on the front of my left ankle) with the Brooks. The Mizunos seem much firmer on the road than the brooks, to me.

Sure there are a million variables at play, but I am curious as to the general consensus.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes cause tendonitis? Brooks v. Mizuno [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Mizunos caused tendinitis for everyone, nobody would buy them ;)

Everyone's running mechanics is going to be different. The brooks Pure line is 4mm drop or less, soft, and flexible. Mizunos generally are firmer, less flexible through the heel/midfoot, springier, and have a higher heel drop. If you've been training in Pure shoes, and switching to Mizunos give you injuries, I'd probably go back to what was working, because that worked better with your mechanics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You learned the hard way, but if it isn't broken, don't try and experiment unless you have someone qualified looking at the shoe.

While most Mizuno's have a high heel-toe drop compared to others, the Cursoris is actually a 0 drop on a curved last...unless you have some unique forefoot characteristics, that shoe probably would not be a good choice for you if the Brooks Pure series works well. If you used the Cursoris for your race shoe (speculating here) and put in a few interval sessions/race pace efforts, that could contribute.

The Hitogami could cause some excessive rearfoot eversion for you b/c the heel-toe is higher than what you are currently using. If you are borderline on rearfoot eversion, the difference in midsole material and heel height could push you over the edge of what is within a good range of pronation and what is not.

So- it's probably not the shoes necessarily...but maybe picking a shoe that may not be a good fit for you. Semantics on if it's you or the shoe, but there are only a few brands/models out there that it is the shoe and not instead a bad fit/recommendation.

On a related note- discomfort in the front region of your ankle is typically a result of those who adopt a midfoot/forefoot strike incorrectly and plantar flex at initial contact with a slight overstride. If you have transitioned to a midfoot/forefoot strike don't rule out the possibility that it's your stride and not any brand/model in particular. There are other things you could rule out, but this is a good place to start-

Good luck-

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I find from going from the Brooks Pure series shoes to any other shoe, even a new pair of Brooks Pure. For me, because the soles are so soft and pliable, they wear in a very specific way to how I run. Whenever I put on a new pair, they are not yet worn in like the Brooks were so dramatically. So I get tons of niggles like what you described. I've found that if I keep the upper part of the laces a bit looser, my legs/feet are SO much better off. I'll try to rotate my old Brooks with the new ones until I don't need to keep them loose any more. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes cause tendonitis? Brooks v. Mizuno [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting- never heard of that happening b/f, but could imagine it. Personally have only tried the pure connect a couple times from a friend who had the same size. He only had 2 runs himself when I tried them, but after he logged @ 50 miles he did mention how they feel like second skin to him.

Quote:
I've found that if I keep the upper part of the laces a bit looser, my legs/feet are SO much better off.

Do you mean loose on the Brooks, or loose on a different brand? By that do you mean not using the highest lace eyelet?

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes cause tendonitis? Brooks v. Mizuno [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep the tops of new shoes looser to let my foot move around more in the shoes until they break in. Could be new Brooks or new any other brand. I don't think I ever lace the top eyelet on any shoe.
Quote Reply