Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running shoes
Quote | Reply
I have a shoe question. I have been running in Newton's for the last three years. I run in the distance elite and the distance IV. I am 5'8" and 123 pounds. I have really liked these shoes. I average about 25 miles a week give or take and tend to run on the quick side. Over the last month or so I am experiencing some real leg fatigue during and after my runs. It doesn't matter if it is 3 miles or 12 miles. I am beginning to wonder if it is my shoes. My question is does anyone have any suggestions as far as something that might give me a little more support than the Newton's but isn't bulky and so soft that I feel like every time I hit the ground I am on a cloud? Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on options or what has worked for them. Appreciate any input anyone has.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes [pastorjeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are going to get 100 different answers but I have run in Newtons and now do all of my running in Skechers GoRun. They make a support show as well as more cushioned ones (the Ride and Ultra). I haven't found anything that match the smoothness and feel of these.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am working through and injury with a physical therapist who specializes is runners. As we talked about my injury and the culprit behind it and the direction we'd travel to fix it I asked about shoes and his response was............there is no shoe prescription for anything. Wear what is comfortable to you, fixing your stride and form has nothing to do with shoes. Certainly try different pairs, he strongly suggested having at least two pairs that you rotate with but was very adamant that most runners overthink shoes to an extreme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying that I disagree with the physical therapist. I think most runners and triathletes don't think enough about their shoes or they overthink the wrong things. An ill-suited running shoe CAN alter your stride and form. But that's for another time. Pastorjeff, are your Newton's still in pretty good shape? If not, that could be an issue. But mostly I don't think your problem is shoe related. Perhaps some rest is in order. Maybe some shorter runs at slower pace for a few weeks to see if that helps. Have you added anything to your regimen that might account for the fatigue? Cycling more? Unless your shoes are near worn-out I doubt they are the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rotate shoes fairly quick so I'm not running on "worn" shoes. I do think general fatigue has a part to play. I'm just trying to decide if there is any other factors playing in. I was a runner before triathlon and do think shoes make a difference. I really like how fast the newtons feel off the ground. I will be traveling in Asia next week and will take the week off and see if that's the answer. Thanks for all the input and advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's not saying that shoes don't make a difference, he's saying that shoes can not fix a stride issue if that's the underlying problem. Your right, most runners/triathletes either over think or under think shoes. The right shoes certainly can make the difference on your feet as much as between your ears. It comes down to what your comfortable with and what your confident with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rotate between 2-3 shoes at a time to spread the mileage between them. I also like to alternate on surfaces (today road, tomorrow trail). The decompression theory (letting the shoe foam expand back to its normal shape over a couple days) was debunked, but there is still value to rotating:

Quote:
Malisoux et al. followed 264 recreational runners over a five-month period and evaluated which ones suffered running injuries. Predictably, they demonstrated that having a history of running injuries predisposed you to getting another one. But more interestingly, they found that runners who practiced “parallel use of different running shoes” (i.e. shoe rotation) incurred injuries at only 61% of the rate of injury of the group as a whole.

https://runnersconnect.net/...ce-running-injuries/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Distance and Distance Elite are very responsive, but offer less cushioning than the Motion, Fate or Gravity. I am sure I am substantially slower and much more substantial than you (190lbs.). With that, I really like the Distance, but they are not soft enough for anything over 10k for me, especially if there is a lot of concrete on the run. I found that the Motion and Kismet have just slightly more forgiveness than the Distance which helps me recover faster. Don't give up on Newtons if you have not tried one of their more supportive shoes.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply