Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon?
Quote | Reply
Some golf courses in my area and I was wondering if it is acceptable to run on them or if I should ask for permission at the clubhouse, what's the protocol? Is there a protocol? Anybody have any experience with this, or good stories they're willing to share?
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Pick up your pace when you see the golf cart with the red flag. Good luck and let us know how it went.

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the course is near running trails or a residential area, it is usually fine as long as you don't impede or distract any golfers on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, I wouldn't.....and not because it is not allowed, but because getting beaned by a golf ball sucks.

Seems like you are just asking for trouble.....and for this reason alone it is likely frowned upon.

If that alone doesn't convince you, here's a little clip to show you what happens when you screw with a guy's round....

http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/...ATPARKS.ORG&key=

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [SucabStunna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I doubt golfers will be out in Upstate NY in mid-January so I don't foresee encountering any issues with them. Mainly concerned with course management.
Last edited by: MSUtri: Jan 19, 12 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only frowned upon by golfers. runners don't mind.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically frowned upon...
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [SucabStunna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SucabStunna wrote:
If the course is near running trails or a residential area, it is usually fine as long as you don't impede or distract any golfers on the course.

Actually, it is highly frowned upon and you can easily be charged with trespassing . . . IF you get caught. I won't advocate doing something that is potentially illegal and/or dangerous, but you can't be punished for what goes unwitnessed. Personally, I'd stay off them for two reasons: (1) golf balls hurt, and (2) a golf course is hardly interesting/challenging terrain.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMFAO! Love it. I would have punted the car myself.

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may get the occasional irate golfer yelling at you. Of the two nearby golf courses, I have had much luck at the lower-end place. At the swankier club, I suppose the members expect some exclusivity in return for their mega-dollar investment. Once, the club owner tore onto the course in his huge black pickup hollering out the window to chase my XC team away. Beware!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's illegal.....Golf courses are private property and usually have signs posted that say something to the effect of "only golfers allowed beyond this point"

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lots of experience on golf courses. I have a high end course in my area that I run on all the time. It is on a flood plain and many people walk dogs, run, etc. when there are no golfers. It is next to another course that actually has a walking trail through the course. I have been chased off a few courses - in Maui and in a former Phoenix neighborhood.

I say go for it and wait for someone to tell you you can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not illegal it's just frowned upon... like masturbating in an airplane.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
It's not illegal it's just frowned upon... like masturbating in an airplane.

Thanks a lot, Osama Bin Laden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live on a nice course and it is my main training route in the winter and evenings (entire 18 hole course following the cart path is about 10K) right out my back yard. Have done so for 7+ years. But - only after dark, if snow, course closed, etc. NEVER run if there are any golfers on course - they paid and you did not. Not sure how far trespassing laws go there (esp. public vs. private courses).

Quote | Reply
Many of our cross country meets in high school were held on a golf course. The regulars were out there, swinging their balls, riding in their vroom vrooms... Not a problem. Granted, we had permission to be there but none of the other obstacles were an issue.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My intentions exactly. I'm only planning on running the course during the winter and nights in the spring/summer/fall. I grew up golfing and around golfers, so I know the type of people I would encounter if I were to disturb a round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, as a runner and golfer, I can say for sure that it is incredibly rude to run on a golf course during business hours for reasons already stated (they paid and you didn't, any tiny distraction can mess up golfers as hard as it is for runners to believe, etc..etc..).

At other times than business hours (early morning, late at night, closed course) on a town course I would go for it and on a privately owned course I would probably ask permission but maybe just go for it... just stay off fairways if they're well maintained and greens.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [aidanlynch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the above, if it's a city public course it might be allowed, it might not be. Getting hit with a golf ball does sting mightily, however.

One other thing to consider, is if the ground is frosted and you run on it, you may leave footprints that take a long time to grow out (More applicable closer to the grass growing season).

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask permission and go out early before the golfers tee off. Usually the grounds keepers will be out but you won't bother them. I ran the cart paths at Pebble Beach last summer everday before I played golf, was great.

The course I am a member of has a triathlon and a couple running events every summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran on a closed golf course (as in no longer in operation) and got frowned upon by the security guy. Good thing it was after I ran the course. Neighbors even waved at me.

Course was located in a gated community and I was staying with some that lived there.

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't, especially if the course is open, but even in the offseason. It's entirely unnecessary as you can run just about anywhere. The reasons for not doing it during the season are obvious. I can't imagine you would like a golf cart rolling around a track while you were trying to get some speed work. Respect that a golf course is built as the domain for a different recreational past time. Even in the offseason, I would not recommend it unless the head groundskeeper gives you permission. Putting greens can be damaged in the offseason, forgive me if I don't trust triathletes and runners to know enough to stay off them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit it before the grounds crew get there in the morning...you'll have the whole course to yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw your name. Which course around MSU? For me, I ran Eldorado in Mason with no problems. Just stayed on the perimeter early morning. If you're thinking of Walnut Hills or Forest Acres - I wouldn't recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on Golf Course, is it frowned upon? [kah131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ask for permission you will most likely not like their response. If you insist on doing it, I recommend you run in the morning before play or the late evening after play. If you are not playing golf you do not belong out there during regular play. The worst that can happen is they will ask you to get off. As mentioned before stay off the greens. If you are running on the golf course and get hit by a golf ball you will have no one else to blame but yourself. The best time on the golf course is in the early morning and late evening.
Quote Reply

Prev Next