Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running in Wet Shoes
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I had the "pleasure" of racing in St. Croix and it definitely lived up to its reputation. One thing that has always driven me crazy during hot hilly runs is my shoes get soaking wet and inevitably on the downhills the soles get completely screwed up. After I finished yesterday I looked down and about 80% of one of my soles Was hanging out the back of my shoe. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Wet Shoes [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems very strange to me. The soles came off your shoes? I live in a rainy, hilly area and run in the rain all the time. My shoes have never suffered any damage. They do get extra stinky if I run in the rain a lot and have to be washed, but they never fall apart.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Wet Shoes [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's talking about ratcheting the insoles out the back of his shoes. I've seen pictures of some of the pro marathoners doing that.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the very unique sounds in the sport of triathlon is going out on the Queen K Highway on the run at the Ironman World Championships - back more in the middle of the pack, and then finding a spot on the side of the road in between aid stations. It's eerily quiet out there, but all you will hear is - "squish-squish-squish-squish-squish-squish-squish-squish" - the sound of wet running shoes from hundreds of triathletes running along the road! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It almost seem like the shoes were not tight enough allowing inner sole come out of the shoe by foot constantly moving against the shoe. I use "heel lock" lacing for all my shoes and not elastic shoelaces and never had this problem. My feet get wet after about 10 miles in our Florida summer races (75+ Fahrenheit) and after about 16 in the Florida winter (55+ Fahrenheit) I use baby powder and cushioned socks with terry cloth inside to combat this.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Wet Shoes [Pavouk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the heel lock method as well and do not use elastic laces. However, so I can quickly slip them on in transition I don't necessarily tie them very tight. For what it's worth I'm running in new balances and didn't seem to have this problem in Brooks previously. I also never really competed in any races with extremely steep descents and soaking wet feet in my old Brooks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Auckland New Zealand. It rains ALL the time. In winter it rains a lot, It's cold rain. In summer it rains quite a bit too, but at least it's a warm rain.

I did tri for about 25 years, running year round (including time in Canada) I've run in temperatures from -35 deg C to about 38deg C hot. I've run on hot dry days and on hot rainy days. I ran at ITU Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania (1994) when it poured with rain all day. The 200m long finish chute was actually the ditch/swale on the side of the road. It was running knee deep water for that time. I've done adventure races here involving plenty of freshwater and salt water run/swim sections.

I have NEVER had an issue with wet shoes except that they feel like lead after a while. For running in Canada I used to spike my running shoes for running on ice and snow covered trails. I'd put 12 self tapping screws into the bottom of each shoe. Then in spring I'd remove the screws and still no problem with the shoes in any way.

The only time I've ever had any problem with the sole of my shoe was when I couldn't find a tennis ball. I used a pair of cheap running/casual shoes and popped them in the dryer, on high heat, with my down jacket to puff up the down, and one sole came off when the glue melted. I ruined the jacket, but quickly put the sole back on the shoe and the shoe was pretty much 100% again.

IF you have problems with your shoe soles, I'd suggest gluing them back on, using a thin layer of "Shoe Goo". To me, shoe goo is the 3rd engineering solution to fix anything. WD-40, duct tape, and shoe goo. If you can't fix a broken thing with those 3 things, then it can't be fixed :-) (hint: Use shoe goo on your shoe, because duct tape would look stupid :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Wet Shoes [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
I To me, shoe goo is the 3rd engineering solution to fix anything. WD-40, duct tape, and shoe goo. If you can't fix a broken thing with those 3 things, then it can't be fixed :-) (hint: Use shoe goo on your shoe, because duct tape would look stupid :-)

Love it!
Quote Reply