Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running in Arlington Cemetery
Quote | Reply
We have an upcoming trip to DC planned and are staying downtown. I have done the run-around-the-mall thing. Looking at a map, East Potomac park and Arlington look like good, low traffic places to run. Is it in bad taste to run in Arlington? Or is that something everyone does?
Last edited by: happyscientist: Feb 17, 17 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetary [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
We have an upcoming trip to DC planned and are staying downtown. I have done the run-around-the-mall thing. Looking at a map, East Potomac park and Arlington look like good, low traffic places to run. Is it in bad taste to run in Arlington? Or is that something everyone does?

No way would I do that. Not sure if others do, but I'd consider it in very bad taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO, NEVER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't run in Arlington either. I was in DC for a month a couple years ago and never saw anyone do it though I'm sure some people have. Theodore Roosevelt Island is a good place to run near downtown. If you stick to the outer trail each loop is just short of a mile and a half. I would run on different parts of the rock creek trail while I was there. I never ran on the Chesapeake and Ohio cannas footpath, but it looked nice and not too hard do get to from downtown

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this a joke? The thought of doing that would NEVER occur to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the Strava heatmap, I'd say it's pretty rare.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetary [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad I asked. People run through local cemeteries all the time, but that one seemed like hallowed ground, so I thought I would check.

Is there a trail that follows Rock Creek? The heat map makes it look like a lot of people do that.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Feb 17, 17 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely don't run in Arlington Cemetery.

Run on the Potomac Trail on the VA side or the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath on the DC side of the Potomac. But check out the Changing of the Guard in the Cemetery sometime. One of the things I miss about living in the area was visiting the Cemetery. It's a special place.

Edited to add Mt. Vernon trail on the VA side - takes you down to Reagan National and the planes go right over you. Pretty cool run. But coming from DC you will have to route yourself across one of the bridges, so take some time to make sure you know how to do it.

And if you stay in DC, Rock Creek is great and you will see lots of people over there as well.
Last edited by: GLindy: Feb 17, 17 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few trails in Rock Creek, http://www.rockcreekrunner.com/...creek-park/#Pavement

If you want something easier, the C&O Towpath is great.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetery [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:

I honestly can't believe someone would ask this.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetery [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

I honestly can't believe someone would ask this.

Better to ask than just do it though, right?

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People don't run IN the cemetery but there is a trail system that runs around part of the cemetery (ANC). It doesn't show up particularly well on Google maps but this bike map shows you how plus it includes the Mount Vernon, Custis, Mount Vernon, Rock Creek, and Capital Crescent trails which all connect to each other. These are designated by red lines that are paved multi-use trails great for running. How crowded they are depends on weather, day, and time of day. All the bridges (Chain, Key, Roosevelt, 14th) have paths across. So, for example, you could run from downtown, cross the Memorial bridge, and then turn South (or North) along the Mount Vernon Trail and enjoy great views of the District across the Potomac. If you look at ANC on the map you'll see those trails that run around the perimeter for parts of the cemetery. You'll be within the legal environs of ANC but not actually running within the cemetery itself. As you can see from the map you have LOTS of options. The Mall itself is great for running too though, again depending on timing, you will be dodging tourists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider running to and on Roosevelt Island. You can get several miles on the island doing the main loop, then up the center, complete perimeter, etc. No traffic, few people, and one of the neatest, least visited memorials in D.C. You can run across Key Bridge and follow the paved trail to your left and down to the foot bridge over to the island. Running along the canal is always nice. Repeats up the Exorcist steps in Georgetown is always an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in case you weren't aware, you should also not run through the various memorials. Monuments are fine, but if you run past through the Vietnam Memorial you are a total douche. Strava heatmap shows that some people do, but I sure hope that they walk and pay their respects when they do.

An option for longer runs is loops down around Hains Point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I am glad I asked. People run through local cemeteries all the time, but that one seemed like hallowed ground, so I thought I would check.

Is there a trail that follows Rock Creek? The heat map makes it look like a lot of people do that.

Arlington is indeed hallowed ground, but aren't all cemeteries? I personally would not run through a cemetery - not because it bothers me per se (and it definitely doesn't bother the people under the ground in there), but I just feel like other people might care, and that's understandable. I would hate to bother someone who went to a cemetery to grieve a loved one and just wanted some privacy to do so. Because yes, running bothers some people. I'd probably be a little annoyed if some dude blasted by me on a tempo run while I was standing at my mom's grave.

In any case, a Google search indicates that running at Arlington is prohibited - and apparently they've got plenty of armed guards eager to enforce that rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetery [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roosevelt Island hadn't occurred to me. I don't think I have ever even been on that, although I have probably driven over it. That could be interesting. Of course, I will probably end up doing what I do in most cities- follow the river so I don't get lost. I have ended up in some questionable neighborhoods doing that, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Roosevelt Island hadn't occurred to me. I don't think I have ever even been on that, although I have probably driven over it. That could be interesting. Of course, I will probably end up doing what I do in most cities- follow the river so I don't get lost. I have ended up in some questionable neighborhoods doing that, though.

I've run it too many times to count. I don't live there anymore but whenever I go to D.C. I usually end up staying in Rosslyn and always make a point to put in a few miles on the island. There is a long boardwalk on the back side of the island across from the Kennedy Performing Arts Center. I used to do repeats on the center trail which runs along a bluff. You can't get lost on the island ... it's not big enough. But it's like an urban forest in the city center. Since cars can only get to it by going north on the GW Parkway, very few people make it to the Roosevelt Memorial (stones brought in by barge long ago). Look at the island on google maps (map view) and you will see all the dotted line trails. Depending on where you stay in D.C., you can run to the bottom of Rock Creek Park, then take the path along the canal running through the center of Georgetown and pop up the steps as you come to the Key Bridge. Run across the bridge to Rosslyn and then left on the Mt Vernon trail to the island. Do it!!

If you want hills, follow the Mt Vernon trail WEST along I-66. It turns into the Custis Trail. Stay along the interstate (but well protected from it) and you won't get lost.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetery [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have more time, take a drive over to the U.S. Naval Academy and do some jogging out there. Great views all over campus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you've already gotten your answer on the cemetery- no way.

I would recommend parking in Georgetown near the Key Bridge ( or in Roslyn and then running across the bridge), and hitting the C&O tow path- nice flat crushed-gravel path that goes West for many miles. Mile markers, and occasional restroom stops as well. Plus, plenty of spots to walk to in Georgetown to grab breakfast afterwards ( Dean and Deluca is near the bridge for coffee etc). One of my favorite spots for long runs.

http://bikewashington.org/canal/canal_a.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandfather is buried in Arlington and I went to the burial and received the flag. He landed at Normandy and was commandant of a political prison camp. I know he would love it if people ran through there. He was very fit up until he died at 76, usually putting in 10 miles powerwalking and all sorts of other exercises every day. I bet he would hope u ran as hard as you could and then even harder knowing where u were and then stopped to think about everything. He thought the US should work out more and when he was one of the original flight marshalls back in the 70s he actually was on a team that recommended people on domestic flights should have 0 carry on items bc if we as a society cannot fathom being alone with our thoughts or other people we will have bigger problems than terrorists.

Granted I would also agree with everyone not to run through (bc other people would flip) there but I wanted to give an alternate opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:

Please do not even think about it. As someone who has a dear friend buried there please do not even give it a second thought!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly a valid question - and obviously lots of people told you not to do it for various reasons.

But the most notable one is simply that it's actually illegal: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/...C_Visitors_Rules.pdf

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 32: National Defence, Part 553 Army National Cemeteries
Section 553.22.F.7 (Specifically, no person shall:)

"Use the Cemetery grounds for recreational activities such as sports, athletics, or picnics;"

And in the event you wanted to bike, that's covered under F.8:

"Ride a bicycle on cemetery grounds without a family pass;"

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetery [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
I think you've already gotten your answer on the cemetery- no way.

I would recommend parking in Georgetown near the Key Bridge ( or in Roslyn and then running across the bridge), and hitting the C&O tow path- nice flat crushed-gravel path that goes West for many miles. Mile markers, and occasional restroom stops as well. Plus, plenty of spots to walk to in Georgetown to grab breakfast afterwards ( Dean and Deluca is near the bridge for coffee etc). One of my favorite spots for long runs.

http://bikewashington.org/canal/canal_a.php

this is usually an absolute nightmare.

better options would be to a) park on the north bound of GW Parkway like another poster suggested or b) park near Fletcher's Boathouse, which is about a good 3 miles NW of Georgetown. One pays a figurative arm and a leg (not to mention the opportunity cost of moving through the molasses that is traffic on M street) to park in Gerogetown

Alternatively, Hains Point offers plenty of parking at all times except Cherry Blossom season
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Arlington Cemetary [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

Arlington is indeed hallowed ground, but aren't all cemeteries? I personally would not run through a cemetery - not because it bothers me per se (and it definitely doesn't bother the people under the ground in there), but I just feel like other people might care, and that's understandable. I would hate to bother someone who went to a cemetery to grieve a loved one and just wanted some privacy to do so. Because yes, running bothers some people. I'd probably be a little annoyed if some dude blasted by me on a tempo run while I was standing at my mom's grave.

Two places right off the top of my head that I would NEVER consider running through ... Arlington and Gettysburg

That being said, I would have no problems running through a local cemetery. After all, I've done for more than just that in cemeteries before, trust me [use our imagination, and you might not be wrong]

In fact, I run past one all the time ... I noticed one afternoon that one of the larger monuments was for the "HURRY" family ... I took that to mean "Hurry up, buddy"

Finally, I think the foremost authority on running through cemeteries would have to be Ed Whitlock

http://news.nationalpost.com/...ons-with-ed-whitlock

He's done OK

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next