Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Routes in Lake Placid
Quote | Reply
Heading up there next weekend to watch some friends race, and trying to find a good off-road route for my long run.

Suggestions for long dirt roads or non-technical trails?

Quote | Reply
bump....

Quote | Reply
The XC ski trails on the way into town. Marked 10k loop, do it a few times.

Need bug spray as the black flies can be awful.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Routes in Lake Placid [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are xc ski trails all over there including the Jackrabbit trail that goes right through town.

http://www.jackrabbittrail.org/trail-map.html

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Bob at Placid Planet bicycles. He'll be in tomorrow, and apparently he is "the running guy" having just completed a 50 miler.
Julie Voss, the boss, said that he'll know the best trails.
PH: 518 523 4128. Real people answer the phone, and they open at 6 AM.
Bob also has email, bob.tysen56 at g mail dot com
But Julie said best way to reach him would be via phone.
Good luck, and please let me know about your long run!
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Running Routes in Lake Placid [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thank you very much!

Quote | Reply
Bob's a good dude. His gf owns the Fallen Arch (or at least that's how it was when I last lived there). He and I use to ride together, back in the day.

Good trails all around, but the Jackrabbit is probably the best especially from an ease of navigating point. Footing can be rocky in places, but that just makes it fun.
I would typically park at the Peninsula trails, Behind the HoJo's (if its still there).
Park where the Peninsula trail vears to the left off Peninsula Road.
Hang a left off the peninsula trail and go across the concrete dam over "outlet brook" toward the Lake Placid Lodge. Scoot through The Lodge and pick up the JackRabbit. (Camp Way, Lodge way, Whiteface Inn Lane).

You can pick all this out pretty cleanly on the like to the google map on the jackrabbit page above.

The trails at Van Ho (Nordic facility) are okay, but you're running down a little grass singletrack amongst an avenue cut through the trees. if I remember right the surface outside that singletrack was odd due to frost heaves in the soil.

At the end of Adirondack Loj road there's more trails than you could shake a stick at. These are more "hiking / backcountry trails" and have a bit more elevation gain, but are complete runable.

Makes me a little nostalgic

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mount Whitney Rd. which is right off Mirror Lake Dr. Mostly dirt road with good hills. It's about 7 miles up and back. I try to do it weekly because very little traffic, and again good hills.

For the most part I'd stay away from the Jackrabbit trail. The trail system is confusing, and frustrating to navigate. Still if you take Northwood Rd. (another road right off Mirror Lake Dr.) You'll come to the Club Resort Golf Course. There's trails into the woods that you can't get too lost.

Like other post, Bob is the running God around here. Does ultras like they're nothing. Go to the Fallen Arch on Main St. He'd probably offer you to join him on a early morning run.
Quote Reply