Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Insole Help please - Superfeet, Powerstep, Aetrex, etc
Quote | Reply
Group,

Looking for a little help/guidance from the collective community. I have a very longstanding right ankle and knee niggles from football injuries many moons ago. I have managed fairly well over the past 36 years/27 IMs/etc. Just a little support from first Powersteps and the Superfeet (black) have been enough to moderate the symptoms and keep me in the game pretty well. It fact I'd say the "prescription" of the superfeet black is about perfect. The problem that has arisen is that the plastic shell in the insert irritates the bottom of the metatarsal heads on my left (good) foot. Perhaps I have turned into the princess and the pea, but I haven't been able to solve this issue. I have tried cutting, sanding, and doing anything I can to stop the irritation but is seems a bit stubborn!

So, I need to keep the same level of support for my right foot without irritating the metatarsal heads of my left foot. I just picked up a pair of Aetrex Speed insoles. They don't have the rigid plastic piece, so that seems to help the left foot. However, I really don't need more cushioning and these feel a bit "clumsy." This experiment is still in progress.

I would appreciate and help or insight on solving this puzzle. I'd also appreciate any recommendation for other solutions that I may not know about. Thank you.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Insole Help please - Superfeet, Powerstep, Aetrex, etc [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried using no insert on your good side? Just a thought. Or just get a running shoe that works for your issues and not mess with the inserts anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Insole Help please - Superfeet, Powerstep, Aetrex, etc [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have tried different shoes but I seem to need to that tad bit of support. I have also tried just a regular insole on the one side and that feels a bit weird and "off balance." You know, we are always looking for things to be just a bit better . . . that is why we constantly fool with our bikes.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Insole Help please - Superfeet, Powerstep, Aetrex, etc [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you found a running store that has a generous return policy (30 days or so)? Even if they charge a restocking fee that is the best way to try out a bunch of shoes.

I still haven't found the "perfect" shoe for me either (flat wide feet and overpronator). Still searching but so far I have one that is working out but do want to try others. I have run with Powerstep original and Pinnacle too but that just didn't work for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power steps are a little more flexible than superfeet. A newer brand that has similar flex to the superfeet is cadence. A PT out in Colorado started the brand. In general, the plastic part of the insole should end behind the metatarsal heads so maybe try a size smaller.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Insole Help please - Superfeet, Powerstep, Aetrex, etc [kayano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I went to the cadence website. . . interesting. I'll e-mail them. I have tried two different sizes of superfeet to move the plastic back further behind the metatarsals but then my toes hang over and get blisters.

Thanks for the info

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, for something as specific as your issue you may want to look into custom orthotics. I've been an avid Superfeet/Kayano user for 15 years with no issues but in the last year I was having some pain in my left foot that I couldn't get to go away. It impacted my running for nearly a year to varying degrees before I finally broke down and went to the podiatrist. One pair of custom orthotics and three shockwave treatments later, I've been running pain-free for a month now. I still use off the shelf orthotics in all my cycling and walking around shoes but the custom orthotics in my running shoes made all the difference for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iv never tried powerstep insoels before but I have tried superfeet and in my opinion they didnt support my arches enough and were quite flimsy. Also quite over priced have seen some insoles 3x less which have the same features and support for far less (probabaly made in the same chinese factory)... sometimes with these brands your just paying for the name. I actually found that these insoles are just as good as my superfeet ones if not better and cost a lot less

http://shoewawa.com/...rch-support-insoles/
Last edited by: mandymandy: Oct 6, 17 2:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravitus insoles. I can't remember what he calls the custom ones, but each foot can have the amount of support it requires and no more. They really helped me out.
Quote Reply