Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running & Swimming support in Golden Cheetah (v3.3 released)
Quote | Reply
Golden Cheetah v3.2 will have support for running, this is a brief summary of the features:
  • Garmin Running Dynamics data series are imported and the activity is automatically flagged as a run
  • Any activity can be flagged as a run setting Sport field to Run, several new metrics only need speed and, eventually, elevation.
  • isRun=1 can be used to filter running activities in charts
  • Pace zones based on CV/Threshold velocity can be defined for date ranges and personalized (up to 10 zones)
  • When pace zones are defined they enable:

• new running metrics such as time in zone and GOVSS
    • time in pace zone in summary chart
    • pace zone shading in speed histogram and mean-max charts
    • pace zone binning in speed histogram using user defined zones or polarized zones

This version is still in development, but there are builds stable enough to be tested on Windows (32/64) and Mac which can be downloaded from: http://goldencheetah.stand2surf.net/

Since this is and open source project, testing, feedback and collaboration are welcome!

Edit: title changed as GC 3.3, including running and swimming support is released.

Release & development builds available at http://www.goldencheetah.org/#section-download

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Nov 29, 15 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ale, thanks for the update! Golden Cheetah continues to impress.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's a nice addition. I look forward to trying it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
  • Any activity can be flagged as a run setting Sport field to Run, several new metrics only need speed and, eventually, elevation.

does that mean it it is planned to include something like "hill normalized pace"? if so that would be awesome. I am guessing the trainingspeak metric is trademarked similar to normalized power but when they modify it only slightly like they did with x-power it would be good enough.

Just the other day I was looking for something to use for run data but couldn't find anything I liked and thought I would have to wait till WKO 4.0 but maybe this is just what I was looking for.

I am not at home so can't try it out right now but it is possible to install the development build in addition to the previous version or will it be replaced?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, looking forward to trying the running features out. Have only been using GC seriously for the last couple of months after dabbling with it a few times in the past, mostly to play with aerolab, but now that I've really dug into it it's been a revelation.

Thanks for all of your hard work!
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
Ale Martinez wrote:

does that mean it it is planned to include something like "hill normalized pace"? if so that would be awesome. I am guessing the trainingspeak metric is trademarked similar to normalized power but when they modify it only slightly like they did with x-power it would be good enough.

Just the other day I was looking for something to use for run data but couldn't find anything I liked and thought I would have to wait till WKO 4.0 but maybe this is just what I was looking for.

I am not at home so can't try it out right now but it is possible to install the development build in addition to the previous version or will it be replaced?

At this moment there is an initial implementation of GOVSS, which is similar but not identical to rTSS, and Lactate Normalized Power which is used as an intermediate step and also exposed as LNP metric, it would be possible to back-calculate xPace as the pace which -in flat terrain- gives the same LNP, but it is not done yet.

The new version replace the previous and migrates the data repository so they cannot coexist, AFAIK.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Nov 24, 14 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ale,

I cannot get runs to appear as run

I went and changed the sport to Run. I also tried syncing with a run in TP and it comes across as a Run without me needing to set the sport

But if I look in my Trends, Summary it shows 48 rides, no runs
If I try isRun=1 in a chart, I get nothing

Any ideas ?
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Hi Ale,

I cannot get runs to appear as run

I went and changed the sport to Run. I also tried syncing with a run in TP and it comes across as a Run without me needing to set the sport

But if I look in my Trends, Summary it shows 48 rides, no runs
If I try isRun=1 in a chart, I get nothing

Any ideas ?

Caveat: isRun=1 only works to filter, not to search, so be sure to select the filter icon instead of the search one (the magnifying glass), click toggles between them. OTOH, Sport="Run" can be used both to filter and to search.

Most of other facilities also need CV be defined in pace zones for the athlete and the date range.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks

I have 48 activities. 4 of them have the Sport=Run. 3 of those I set, 1 I imported from TP and it came across with the Sport set

However if I look at Trends -> Summary it tells me I have 48 rides, 0 runs.

Does this make sense ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I have 48 activities. 4 of them have the Sport=Run. 3 of those I set, 1 I imported from TP and it came across with the Sport set

Does this make sense ?

Hmm, perhaps the index is corrupted, I would try to delete it to force a rebuild, it is located in cache/index folder inside the user folder, whose location you can find in the about box

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when do you think this will make it to a stable build.. love what was done with ver 3.1.0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
marcag wrote:

Does this make sense ?

Hmm, perhaps the index is corrupted, I would try to delete it to force a rebuild, it is located in cache/index folder inside the user folder, whose location you can find in the about box

tried that.
tried a fresh install with no data and re-importing activities, 100% sure I had set up critical velocity

it's funny, while the trends->summary page show a bunch of rides, no runs, the individual files while not having Sport=Run display the alt/speed chart for example which leads me to believe it thinks it's a run.

I have tried importing directly from the Garmin (from the activities folder) and have tried syncing with TP.

I even tried on a second machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
it's funny, while the trends->summary page show a bunch of rides, no runs, the individual files while not having Sport=Run display the alt/speed chart for example which leads me to believe it thinks it's a run.

Since filtering it is not working It seems to be a problem with indexing, I don't know why, but if pace zones are defined for the date range in which an activity has Sport=Run the ride summary should show time in zone, like this:

And in speed histogram you should be able to enable shade zones:

and show in zones:

Are these features working?

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
when do you think this will make it to a stable build.. love what was done with ver 3.1.0

January 2015 is the tentative release target

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FABULOUS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for taking the time

yes, the "ride -> summary" looks like that with correct times in each pace zone. A bike shows me power zones, a run shows me pace zones

I can do the speed histogram as you did

show in zones works (hey, that "polarized" checkbox is cool...very cool)

The problem seems to be more when I look at "Trends". It does not seem to differentiate rides from runs

I tested on 2 windows machines. I have not taken the plunge to move my mac to the new version since it's my real data and last time the kids got upset when I installed it on their school machines :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
show in zones works (hey, that "polarized" checkbox is cool...very cool)

"Polarized Zones" is now enable for Power, Pace and HR histograms with the following boundaries between the 3 zones:
I-II: 85%CP / 90%CV / 90%LTHR
II-III: CP / CV / LTHR
The same workout as above in binned in Polarized Zones:

In Trends the same chart works for date ranges, standard and user defined, with filtering.

marcag wrote:
The problem seems to be more when I look at "Trends". It does not seem to differentiate rides from runs
I tested on 2 windows machines. I have not taken the plunge to move my mac to the new version since it's my real data and last time the kids got upset when I installed it on their school machines :-)
I guess any kind of searching/filtering is not working either, even not run related, all the searching and filtering depends on a component (CLucene) which seems not to be working in your case, If you can, try a simple search/filter in this version and in the released version installed in the same machine. There is a thread (Development builds for 2014-11-22) in Google Groups golden-cheetah-users to report build issues such as this one.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had never discovered Search/Filtering. WOW!!

so if I do a Filter (not a search) and I do Sport="Run" (I need the double quotes)

It tells shows me 26 of the 52 rides, Yet 0 runs.
So I can do everything I want (I think) the only problem is the Trends->Summary report is wrong.

Does this make sense ?

HOLY Moly, this thing is becoming cool. I have RD, TP and have used WKO. But this is really becoming cool!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I had never discovered Search/Filtering. WOW!!

so if I do a Filter (not a search) and I do Sport="Run" (I need the double quotes)

It tells shows me 26 of the 52 rides, Yet 0 runs.
So I can do everything I want (I think) the only problem is the Trends->Summary report is wrong.

Does this make sense ?

HOLY Moly, this thing is becoming cool. I have RD, TP and have used WKO. But this is really becoming cool!!!

Search/Filter is pretty powerful, if you import from WKO/TP Sport is already set so you can have any chart separated by sport, there are several more features, in the wiki there is a complete explanation: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/wiki/Special-Topics_SearchFilter

So is IsRun=1 filter also working? Only problem is activity list in Trends-Summary chart?

The partition of activities in Trends-Summary is a new addition, It is working in my case but I will check the code, thanks for reporting!

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
So is IsRun=1 filter also working? Only problem is activity list in Trends-Summary chart?

The partition of activities in Trends-Summary is a new addition, It is working in my case but I will check the code, thanks for reporting!

isRun=1 does not work. It does not give an error, but it brings up 0 activities
Sport="Run" does work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Ale Martinez wrote:

isRun=1 does not work. It does not give an error, but it brings up 0 activities
Sport="Run" does work.

To debug this I would need to see one of these files, they are in the user folder (location available in about box) under activities, name is date/time and extension .json, if you don't mind sharing one of them my e-mail is amtriathlon at gmail dot com

PS: I made a mistake above, it is isRun not IsRun.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Nov 28, 14 5:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
jakob1989 wrote:
Ale Martinez wrote:

At this moment there is an initial implementation of GOVSS, which is similar but not identical to rTSS, and Lactate Normalized Power which is used as an intermediate step and also exposed as LNP metric, it would be possible to back-calculate xPace as the pace which -in flat terrain- gives the same LNP, but it is not done yet.

xPace is on the master code now, it is computed as the constant pace which sustained for the whole duration of the workout on a flat surface would give the same GOVSS. It will be available for user's testing in the next development builds.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting! Will be fiddling with it later today...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anyway planned to import tcx data as a bundle?
Tried to get my garmin data in (2009-present) but could never be completed. Includes swim,bike and run altogether.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Is there anyway planned to import tcx data as a bundle?
Tried to get my garmin data in (2009-present) but could never be completed. Includes swim,bike and run altogether.

If you select a group of tcx files from a folder, drag and drop them on GC, they will be validated and imported on user confirmation.
It may take a while because tcx files are very verbose, eventually you could try with subsets by year for example.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next