Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running/swimming in Salt Lake City
Quote | Reply
I'll be attending a conference in SLC in a couple weeks and was wondering if someone could give me the current lowdown on the road/trail conditions for running? For instance if I wanted to head up the Freedom Trail to Bonneville and then out further would I need yaktrax or something similar or are you all the way into snowshoeing out there?

Also which public pools do people like?

Any help is much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Running/swimming in Salt Lake City [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
I'll be attending a conference in SLC in a couple weeks and was wondering if someone could give me the current lowdown on the road/trail conditions for running? For instance if I wanted to head up the Freedom Trail to Bonneville and then out further would I need yaktrax or something similar or are you all the way into snowshoeing out there?

Also which public pools do people like?

Any help is much appreciated!

Are you staying downtown? Many of the popular trails are pretty well tracked down. I've run on sections of the BST and Corner Canyon trails with no problems. Sometimes I'll use my Ice Trekkers, often the trails I've run on have been tracked down enough that trail shoes alone have been file. I have only done showshoe runs in Millcreek Canyon and the last couple times I was out on those trails I wouldn't have wanted to try to run in just running shoes. The roads are perfectly fine for running. However, this could drastically change between now and a couple weeks depending on if we get dumped on with snow right before you arrive, or if it warms up and the snow greatly melts.

As far as pools, it depends on where you are staying, but if you are near the U of U or downtown area, then the Steiner Aquatic center is pretty nice (too bad it's not summer in outdoor season). That is at the Salt Lake Sports Complex on Guardsman Way near the U stadium. There is a 7AM and 12noon masters group, but they are only 1 hour workouts. There is also an unofficial masters group that meets there at 5:30 AM for an 1.5+ hr workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For pools, if you are around Sugar House, the Fairmont Aquatics Center is very nice. I was visiting family in the area last year and went there a couple times, relatively cheap one-off day pass ($4 or $5 I think) and a really nice indoor pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work at the University and I wouldn't even attempt to do any "running" in/around the Bonneville trail. Snowshoeing more like it, if that's your thing. You could drive down to Liberty Park and do some running around it. Its a 1.5 mile loop, and decent scenery. For a pool someone already mentioned the SLC rec pool on Guardsman Way. They charge 5 or 6 bucks for a day pass.

Unfortunately the weather in Utah has been very hostile to any outdoor triathlete training for a while now. The next week looks like it should warm up though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail running is fine (with good trail shoes) as the trails get packed down quickly; only time to snowshoe on the trails is immediately after a snowstorm
otherwise they are not fun on trails
lots of walkers w/without dogs and runners
yaktrax can be useful depending on long its been since a storm

Steiner and Fairmount are great pools - Fairmount is busy with HS teams in afternoon

rent a fat bike
Quote Reply
Re: Running/swimming in Salt Lake City [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the intel! I'll pick up a pair of yaktrax and hope for the best. No biking this time around as i wont have enough time. Hopefully those pools aren't too warm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are you coming? If by a few weeks you mean almost a month, there's a 10k (put on by the Salt Lake Running Company) on March 5th. :D

Otherwise, I've been running in Park City, so if you get up that way shoot me a message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a high school in Mill Creek that has a masters practice MWF mornings. I think they start at 6. I swam with them summer 2014, not sure if it is still running.

http://www.swimmersguide.com
Cottonwood High School
5717 South 1300 East
Murray, UT, UNITED STATES 84121
(801) 481-7194

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Running/swimming in Salt Lake City [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Sandy, UT and have not heard of that masters group; however, I've only lived here for a year. There is a masters group (Olympus Masters) that swims at Olympus HS from 6-7 AM, and Olympus HS is in the Millcreek area.
Quote Reply
Re: Running/swimming in Salt Lake City [yentna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there the 24th to the 28th. That 10k sounds cold!

Unfortunately I'll be pretty tethered to the downtown area with the conference and no car. Definitely feel like I'm missing out on some great outdoors activities there.
Quote Reply
Re: Running/swimming in Salt Lake City [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I live in Sandy, UT and have not heard of that masters group; however, I've only lived here for a year. There is a masters group (Olympus Masters) that swims at Olympus HS from 6-7 AM, and Olympus HS is in the Millcreek area.
yeah, I don't know if they're still there. I sort of stumbled on it by chance; my brother used to live pretty close to the school.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim at Steiner, it's a nice pool. You could take TRAX to the football stadium and walk over. It can get crowded if a lot of teams are practicing so check the schedule:

http://slco.org/...uatics/aquatics.html

If you are downtown, I would run up city creek canyon. There are both road and trails and it is pretty. The shoreline trail should be fine, I've been running it all winter. Yaktrax might not be a bad idea but not totally required. Let me know if you have any more questions or PM me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
I'll be there the 24th to the 28th. That 10k sounds cold!

Unfortunately I'll be pretty tethered to the downtown area with the conference and no car. Definitely feel like I'm missing out on some great outdoors activities there.

I don't know where you are coming from, but it hasn't been that cold in SLC. The dry air makes the temps feel much warmer than in the east or Midwest, for example, especially if the sun is out! I grew up in Michigan and SLC is nothing like bone chilling cold that Michigan can get in the winter!
Quote Reply