Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Runners Knee
Quote | Reply
Any of you guys have had it and overcome it? I 'think' that is what I am battling (going to a physio dood next week), and from what I have read strengthening the quads and loosening the hamstrings *should* help. Please tell me there is still hope for me yet. I have just discovered a new love for Ultra trail running and it would kill me if I can't sink myself into this as much as I can.
As an aside, I am hitting 47 this year so not a young sprout anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The term "runner's knee" seems to be used for a whole host of injuries and ailments that just happen to result from running and affect the knee.

Care to elaborate more on your symptoms?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Any of you guys have had it and overcome it? I 'think' that is what I am battling (going to a physio dood next week), and from what I have read strengthening the quads and loosening the hamstrings *should* help. Please tell me there is still hope for me yet. I have just discovered a new love for Ultra trail running and it would kill me if I can't sink myself into this as much as I can.
As an aside, I am hitting 47 this year so not a young sprout anymore.[/quot

47 old just you wait

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought “runners knee” was a problem made up by non-runners to explain why they shouldn’t have to run.
And also by physiology dudes to explain why you shouldn’t run and should instead pay them big bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
The term "runner's knee" seems to be used for a whole host of injuries and ailments that just happen to result from running and affect the knee.

Care to elaborate more on your symptoms?

Sure. I can run anywhere between 40-60 minutes completely pain free, then very quickly it gets to the point where I can't bend my knee because of shooting pain in the front of the knee under the patella.

This sounded REALLY similar to what was happening:

https://www.webmd.com/...-pain/runners-knee#1

I have orthotics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
M~ wrote:

47 old just you wait

Which is why I want to get ahead of this thing so I can keep running until I drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
M~ wrote:

47 old just you wait

Which is why I want to get ahead of this thing so I can keep running until I drop.

Imo opnion ultras and long term knee body wellness for most are not the same. Key is moderation not to see how long far one can go before one breaks. All the older folks i know all have said to me they wished they had not run so much longer as they watch me run fast at 60 and theycan't run at all

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can appreciate that, however, I LOVE LOVE LOVE running for hours on end. So I have to try and balance longevity vs doing something I (hopefully) can still do for a few years.
At this point I just want to be able to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue and started slowing my runs down significantly for a good amount of time. I found it was when I was pushing myself that my knee would begin to hurt. I also incorporated lunges and squats with body weight/light resistance, and also box jumps really helped.

Also, shoes past their prime make my knee hurt again.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I can appreciate that, however, I LOVE LOVE LOVE running for hours on end. So I have to try and balance longevity vs doing something I (hopefully) can still do for a few years.
At this point I just want to be able to run.

Yep pure runners have a tough time letting go.

I remember a friend told by his doc if he kept running he would need a hip replacement . He could not make a change and now cannot run at all.

Balance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of slow running and plenty of foam rolling on the ITB helps me.
If I do too much at a decent pace my knee stiffens and I get pain on the lower kneecap...so I do as above.
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [grobbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grobbo wrote:
Lots of slow running and plenty of foam rolling on the ITB helps me.
If I do too much at a decent pace my knee stiffens and I get pain on the lower kneecap...so I do as above.

I found hill work helps strength

Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [grobbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott is a big fan of foam rolling, but warns against rolling the IT Band. Look for it, may be on You Tube.
Roll quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, calves, not IT Band.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quit running for a month and go lift weights. Your leg muscles need to be strengthened to keep your knee in check. My runners knee healed after doing this.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Dave Scott is a big fan of foam rolling, but warns against rolling the IT Band. Look for it, may be on You Tube.
Roll quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, calves, not IT Band.
That’s interesting. I am convinced it’s saved me as I’ve got older.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to PT and start addressing muscle weaknesses and imbalances. You should be working on mobility and flexibility everyday. There are guys that are strong runners well into old age. A few on this board. However, I'm not sure there are guys that are strong ultrarunners well into old age. Whatever happened to the ultramarathon guy that would have pizza delivered on his runs? I wonder how he is holding up these days. At one point, I remember reading he was clocking over 100 miles per week for a few years on end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
As an aside, I am hitting 47 this year so not a young sprout anymore.

Muscle imbalance.

Cure - go backwards walking, on a spin bike, on an elliptical, etc.

Once cured PM me and I will send you the bill. ;)

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've dealt with it for most of my life. To the point that I have full thickness cartilage defects in the patellar femoral junction. I still run, including ultras, but am constantly managing pain and swelling so that I can. My advice is to try various things until you find what works for you. I did years of PT and spent lots of dough on orthotics. Ultimately, what works best for me is to be diligent about doing one leg quarter squats and other quad strengthening exercises, doing short runs in minimalist shoes (five fingers or NB minimus) and getting rid of my orthotics and running in neutral shoes - exactly what the doctor didn't order. Wish you the best in finding solutions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd add glute strengthening exercises to the list. Won't hurt might help

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dealt with it over the years. Also had surgery for meniscus in one knee and stem cells in other. Muscle imbalances, tight flexor, glutes not working right.

The internet is full of info now. Not when I was going thru it 20-25 years ago. My go to is mobilitywod.com website but there are tons of others. YouTube has plenty just google. But understand the anatomy first and work ankles and hips. As reference aging up to 70 class, but I think my iron an days over. Don't want hip or knee replaced.

But older you get the more maintenance is required. Get lazy on drills or too aggressive mileage build up and it will be 2 steps forward maybe 2 or 3 back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having the exact same problem right now. Going to work the hips glutes hamstrings and lighten the running for a bit. Frustrating as hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are all different of course and what works for one person may not work for another.

I tried PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma). One injection to help with patellar tendinitis (many micro tears) and it helped a lot.

Look it up, research it and make up your own mind.

It is painful, pricey and it can be even better with PT (adding some muscle strength and/or mass around the knee), icing, rest, elevation (RICE it up), massage therapy, foam roll you name it. For me it was a combination that did the trick.
And patience as well, took me 6 weeks to start running again at my "normal", albeit slow, pace.

Also as it has probably been mentioned (too lazy to read the whole thread), look into posture, gait (gait analysis might help), type of shoes, equipment you have (pain can come from feet, hips, IT band and make its way to knees).

Runner knee and jumper knee can be related (any VBall in your younger days?).

Good luck with all that.
Sending good vibes your way.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Agree 100%. This is exactly what I did.

I tried everything to make my knees quit hurting. Hoka, trails, slower speed, TM, etc... Nothing worked and I could not even run 2-3 miles without significant pain.

I read that Runner's Knee is not actually a structural issue but a problem with muscle imbalance instead. So, I started doing "air squats". No weight, I just stood and did squats. About 40-50 at a time. Within two weeks, all of my knee pain was gone and I was back to running. Nowadays, I still do the "air squats" 2-3 days per week....anywhere from 20-50+ at a time. It works to strengthen the glutes
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner's knee has been a trouble for many years now. Some of the information that I have gained has helped e from time to time.A longstanding explanation for runner’s knee is weakness in the quadriceps (the vastus medialis), and while that may contribute to the pain, it is not the usual culprit. Vastus medialis weakness was thought to cause the kneecap to drift into the “rails,” putting pressure on the edge of the kneecap and causing pain. Many professionals recommended strengthening the vastus medialis to keep the kneecap aligned in the center of the femoral groove.But more likely, the cause is the track moving under the train, putting pressure on the edge of the kneecap. This occurs when the pelvic muscles controlling the femur are not strong enough to keep the femur from rotating inward during the weight-bearing phase of your running gait. As the femur rotates inward, the patella strikes the edge of the groove causing pressure—and pain. By strengthening the external rotators of the hip, you can help hold the femur in the proper position while you run, which should allow your knee to heal.
Quote Reply
Re: Runners Knee [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Agree 100%. This is exactly what I did.

I tried everything to make my knees quit hurting. Hoka, trails, slower speed, TM, etc... Nothing worked and I could not even run 2-3 miles without significant pain.

I read that Runner's Knee is not actually a structural issue but a problem with muscle imbalance instead. So, I started doing "air squats". No weight, I just stood and did squats. About 40-50 at a time. Within two weeks, all of my knee pain was gone and I was back to running. Nowadays, I still do the "air squats" 2-3 days per week....anywhere from 20-50+ at a time. It works to strengthen the glutes

Good to know this one. Have been doing air squats because it was about all I could do with my lower core for a while. Makes sense that this could help the knees too. Thanks.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next