Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
more info on the owner and the dogs:

http://www.nydailynews.com/...es-article-1.1880415

Awful tragedy.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God, this is unreal. I hope the owner of these two vicious dogs goes to jail.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dog owner should be hanged, drawn and quartered.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad they think the dogs are a public threat and will be killed due to this. Many dogs from fighting rings are rehabilitated. But then again, it's not like society even tries to rehabilitate prisoners. The path with least resistance is the most traveled.

The owner should be charged, especially since this is not the first time.

Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Sad they think the dogs are a public threat and will be killed due to this. Many dogs from fighting rings are rehabilitated. But then again, it's not like society even tries to rehabilitate prisoners. The path with least resistance is the most traveled.

Would you put them in your house around your family after being "rehabilitated" ????

The dogs are not at fault BUT who the hell needs to have 2 deadly weapons roaming around a residential neighborhood. A better question is why would you WANT to own potentially dangerous animals like that??

I own about 30 firearms. ALL of them are locked in a safe when not in use. Having dogs like that free to attack someone is about as irresponsible as leaving a bunch of loaded guns in a 1st grade class of kids unsupervised.

You can usual tell how big an asshole someone is by what type of dog they own. ie a guy who has a pit-bull that has to stay in a yard chained to a engine block away from anything is the epitome of douchebag that I don't want to be around.

For the record I am not down on any breed ion particular, just aggressive dogs (especial ones with the physical ability to kill and maim) I have owned a bunch of diferent dogs (all adoptions and rescues) from Rottweiler and Tosa Mastiff to beagle and Irish setter mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dogs that come after people on public streets are open season. In this case, owner is responsible for someone's death and should be charged. Ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
TheGupster wrote:

Would you put them in your house around your family after being "rehabilitated" ????

The dogs are not at fault BUT who the hell needs to have 2 deadly weapons roaming around a residential neighborhood. A better question is why would you WANT to own potentially dangerous animals like that??

I own about 30 firearms. ALL of them are locked in a safe when not in use. Having dogs like that free to attack someone is about as irresponsible as leaving a bunch of loaded guns in a 1st grade class of kids unsupervised.

You can usual tell how big an asshole someone is by what type of dog they own. ie a guy who has a pit-bull that has to stay in a yard chained to a engine block away from anything is the epitome of douchebag that I don't want to be around.

For the record I am not down on any breed ion particular, just aggressive dogs (especial ones with the physical ability to kill and maim) I have owned a bunch of diferent dogs (all adoptions and rescues) from Rottweiler and Tosa Mastiff to beagle and Irish setter mix.

I've done a ton of volunteer work with ex-fighting dogs and very aggressive dogs. Very very aggressive dogs. So yes, I would take them. However, rule #1, if they are in pairs, you separate them.

I disagree with your 'douchebag' comment. You point out pitbulls, but those are wonderful dogs. I would say a douchebag is how they treat their dog, regardless of what breed it is. I've been part of raids where we take dogs from abusive homes. I've shown up in the middle of night and taken dogs who are tied to a tree and malnutrition. For domesticated animals, their personalities are tied to the owners.

Quote | Reply
Interesting.. I've had a few recent dog encounters..

Last weekend, did a long ride and a medium size dog tried to chase me down.. and just today, I did a long run and ran into two dogs that chased me for about two blocks before they gave up...
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owner(s) should definitely be charged. And not allowed to keep a goldfish if they ever get out of prison.

TheGupster wrote:

There's a history of aggression here, how are the dogs not a public threat?

There's by far a surplus of 'pet' animals in the US-why should these dogs be given a home and rehabilitated over the millions euthanized every year that have a much gentler temperament and training?
Last edited by: JSully: Jul 27, 14 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:

Yup. They just mauled a guy to death. 'Public threat ' enough for me and probably 99.9% of ST readers.
Put em down AND put the WTPOS owner away for a long time

Last edited by: shady: Jul 27, 14 17:29
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
Owner(s) should definitely be charged. And not allowed to keep a goldfish if they ever get out of prison.

TheGupster wrote:

There's a history of aggression here, how are the dogs not a public threat?

There's by far a surplus of 'pet' animals in the US-why should these dogs be given a home and rehabilitated over the millions euthanized every year that have a much gentler temperament and training?

Define temperament. Is there certain benchmarks when they go from bad, to good, to nice to gentle? Is a dog that doesn't like kids worse than a dog that does?

Define training. Potty trained? Should they be able to sit? rollover? fetch a beer? What is the benchmarks that define adequate training vs. killing the dog?

Our jails are crowded too, why don't we just euthanize all the prisoners as well. Ever see the show Pit Bulls and Paroles? According to your position, those Pit Bulls should be killed instead of what she does (rehabilitates). If somebody is willing to work on rehabilitation, then I'd rather see that happen.

There is a time when it's necessary to put an animal down. I just don't default to the killing of an animal. To me it's the last resort, not the first option. If the trainer says this dogs mental state is too far gone (As is with a few fighting dogs), then they are put down. Whatever the dog has done is irrelevant to that decision since it's personality is dependent on the owner.

The difference between you and I is that I've seen some of the worse dogs become some of the best animals. People who care and view these animals as beautiful creatures instead of objects that should be disposed of just because of statistics.

Quote | Reply
I guess we just don't/won't see eye-to-eye on this. I come from a 'animals are products or tools' background of farmers/ranchers, and mostly share it. If your favorite dog still bites the sheep, well, goodbye dog.

Temperament is tricky. Naturally inclined to do more than nip? Bad temperament, in my opinion.

Training-not trained to be aggressive, trained not to pursue random people. Everything else, meh. You're okay with your dog attempting to jump on shoulders? Well, it's your dog.

I'm glad people take the time to try and rehab problem animals. It's a noble thing to do. I wish them the best of luck. If there were enough people to both rehab and adopt all animals into a good situation, that'd be great.

As for this particular situation, I would've liked to see the dogs being required to go to X months of obedience training after the first aggressive incident, at owner expense. With the owner being required to attend classes/workshops/seminars/whatever about being a good/safe animal custodian. 2nd incident, or refusal to commit to both things? Let a shelter/other reputable individual decide whether or not the dogs are worth rehab'ing, and adopting. But get them away from that owner for sure. 3rd incident, euthanize.

"Our jails are crowded too, why don't we just euthanize all the prisoners as well. " That's a terribly immoral reason to kill a person, and I don't equate animals to the same level of value and standing as people. I do think we(I'm assuming you're American here) need to examine why our incarceration rate is so much higher than the rest of the developed world. We should definitely work on that! I think prisons should be a place of rehabilitation first, and punishment second, and that everybody deserves to be treated with dignity, even if you are sentenced to life in prison or on death row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing the line is when they maul a human being to death

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Post deleted by landcruiserbob [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: landcruiserbob: Jul 28, 14 2:58
Quote | Reply
This one hits home with me. So sad what happened here! We have a network of fire road trails around my neighborhood that I run several times/week. They are frequented by dog owners that hike them daily with off-leash dogs. I am a former dog owner and love dogs, but I have been bitten twice on these trails by off-leash dogs with their owners always apologizing saying how their dogs are "friendly" as I'm being bitten. I'm now to the point where I'm in fear every time I run that as I come around a blind corner, a dog is going to be coming toward me and something like this is going to happen. There is a leash law on these trails, but no one obeys them. I just hope it doesn't take something like this to change things.

RIP to this poor guy.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always felt that if you want to own a 'viscous' breed, you would have to also get a $10k bond or something similar. Many stories of these types of animals injuring people and their owners have no means of compensating the victims or covering the costs to society (police, legal, etc.). The dog's owner clearly put his own interests (having the dogs) over that of the victim, and will be punished. That however will be of little solace to the victim's survivors, and seems to have no affect on other owners of these types of dogs.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we have had 3 pit bulls since i've been living on the compound. 1 was a male and certainly an ex fighter, he got dumped just after he got tore up in a fight. the second was a female, either an ex fighter or a breeder, and each of these dogs got dumped here after their white trash owners were finished with them (the third was the puppy of the female). they wandered up on the property and we took them in. in each case, they were the dogs with the most even temperaments of all the dogs that have made their way to the compound (how we usually get our dogs). they were the dogs that were most safe around kids. they were safe around the horses. around the other dogs - as long as the other dogs didn't try to get aggressive with the pits.

but not all pit bulls are going to be safe, it depends on the dogs. the last time one got dumped here (we almost caught the asshole who dumps the dogs, which he does in the middle of the night) the dog was too scared and abused to be safe around people or dogs. but we were lucky with those who came to us. what is almost miraculous to me is how unbelievably happy, loyal, funloving, these dogs can be after having lives like they had.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 28, 14 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Always felt that if you want to own a 'viscous' breed, you would have to also get a $10k bond or something similar.

It is a good thought, but auto insurance and a valid drivers license are requirements in EVERY state yet most of the traffic court cases are lack of insurance or a expired/revoked drivers license.

I love dogs especially medium size or larger yet I would never have a breed with a bad reputation. Having an invisible fenced acre with a breed of that type would invite trouble. Just this morning my 40lb aussie broke the fence to visit a neighbors yard yet I didn't fear that someone would mistake her intentions. The same thing happens with a 105lb amstaff, rot, pit, mastiff, etc. and I wouldn't be surprised if my dog was shot. Breed rehabilitation will take a long time and luckily 2 good breeds are becoming "less scary" dobes and germans.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.freep.com/...corso-sytsma-jogging (Caution, page auto-plays a video on load)

So there is evidence that the owners were aware of the aggressiveness of their animals & a history of them letting them roam the area freely
Quote:
“Unfortunately, I wasn’t surprised,” neighbor Ashley Winter, 31, said of the fatal attack.

She recalls meeting Quagliata and his Cane Corsos shortly after moving to the neighborhood in June 2012. The man came to introduce himself and had a full-sized pet hawk on his arm; one of the Corso dogs was running loose, she said.

“I said, ‘Is he aggressive?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, everything I own is aggressive,’ ” Winter said. “I thought, ‘What have we gotten ourselves into?’ ”

But so much for them being beloved pets...
Quote:
The owners, Sebastiano Quagliata, 45, and Valbona Lucaj, 44, also want both dogs put down, their attorney, Jason Malkiewicz from St. Clair Shores, said Friday.

I understand people saying that these dogs are victims of their upbringing & that they are not responsible, but a human life trumps all of that. Not only should the dogs be put down, but the owners as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Jamie wrote:
TheGupster wrote:
You point out pitbulls, but those are wonderful dogs.

I am not a dog owner, and I don't have a preconceived notion on this....I'm just honestly curious about this comment, as I've seen it echoed by others. What makes pitbulls "wonderful dogs"? I honestly don't know and am curious, as there seems to be a draw to this breed over some others. Help me understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
TheGupster wrote:
Jamie wrote:
TheGupster wrote:

You point out pitbulls, but those are wonderful dogs.

I am not a dog owner, and I don't have a preconceived notion on this....I'm just honestly curious about this comment, as I've seen it echoed by others. What makes pitbulls "wonderful dogs"? I honestly don't know and am curious, as there seems to be a draw to this breed over some others. Help me understand.

We own a pit/mastiff mix. He wondered up to our house 6 years ago. We later learned that he belonged to a guy several miles away that had been arrested for having a meth lab and is in prison. He used the dog for protection. My wife and I have owned a golden retriever rescue, 2 flat coated retriever rescues and 2 labs. Our pit/mastiff is the sweetest and smartest of them all. Pits are known for their affection and even temper. It's the owners that ruin them and these two owners need to spend time in a cage!

I've been bitten by 2 dogs (not while training) and both were 10-15 lb yappy dogs.

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Jul 28, 14 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really is the money quote, isn't it?

“I said, ‘Is he aggressive?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, everything I own is aggressive,’”

douchebag.

and that road looks like a great place to run, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner killed: dog mauling in Michigan [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
I'm now to the point where I'm in fear every time I run that as I come around a blind corner, a dog is going to be coming toward me and something like this is going to happen.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/...ray-with-hip-holster~p~2002c/

if a dog attacks me on public ground, and its owner cannot control it, then I will control it with as much force as is necessary..

here in the suburbs of Denver most all the dogs are lazy fat labs and goldens luckily. When running in S.Africa most dogs were attack-trained dobermans, rottweilers and alsatians.. used to have considerable unpleasantness, knobkieries came into play..

The guy who owns these dogs should not be allowed to own pets, he clearly has significant psychological issues (from the second article, "all my animals are aggressive").
Quote Reply

Prev Next