Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon
Quote | Reply
Curious the run volume people are putting in for MOP-like performances on the run. I ran a 4:45 off of about 20 miles/week average (peaked at 30 miles) - all easy. For my second IM I am bumping up my volume slightly but with swimming biking and the day job -- plus running being so much wear and tear I have opted to aim for around 25 miles/week. I know this is low for you top guys. I do not think it's feasible time-wise for me to get to 40+ mpw. I run my easy pace between 9:30-10:30 min/miles. 40 miles at that pace is a ton of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett Sutton IM programme (normal people level) maxes out at a bit over 4 hours per week (might be 4 1/2 as a one off peak week.)
All done by time, not miles.

I've done solid run performances off that (and I am certainly not a runner and my genetics loaded gun is about as powerful as a water pistol.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always get injured going above ~30/35 miles/week anyways. I got a stress fracture about 3 weeks into IMCDA training in April... I've been replacing all runs with aquajogging and will start slowly introducing running this week. My plan (Level 7 Matt Fitzgerald's week-by-week training plan) tops out a little bit more than 5 hours, which would be about 30-35 miles for me. I won't get there because of the SF, but I'm not too concerned - I expect my run time will be around 4:45/5 hours. My cycling has gotten so much better, too, so I'll have plenty of time for the marathon.... training just depends on your race goals (e.g. PR, Kona slot, just survive).

Your running around 20 miles/week average and running a 4:45 is good to know for me, though, given my current situation. What was your cycling and swim training volume and intensity?
Quote Reply
Re: Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon [sarahp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sarahp wrote:
I always get injured going above ~30/35 miles/week anyways. I got a stress fracture about 3 weeks into IMCDA training in April... I've been replacing all runs with aquajogging and will start slowly introducing running this week. My plan (Level 7 Matt Fitzgerald's week-by-week training plan) tops out a little bit more than 5 hours, which would be about 30-35 miles for me. I won't get there because of the SF, but I'm not too concerned - I expect my run time will be around 4:45/5 hours. My cycling has gotten so much better, too, so I'll have plenty of time for the marathon.... training just depends on your race goals (e.g. PR, Kona slot, just survive).

Your running around 20 miles/week average and running a 4:45 is good to know for me, though, given my current situation. What was your cycling and swim training volume and intensity?

I ran 20mph consistently for about 6 months with a high week of 31 miles (18 mile long run). My swim and cyclying volume was high -- about 3.5 hours a week of swimming and 8 hours of cycling on average (peaks were 4.5 hrs swimming and 12 hours cycling.

I also paced my IM bike extremely conservative and walked ~1 min through every aid station during marathon. I probably left a little out on the course but my first IM was just to finish so happy with my 13 hour mark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
sarahp wrote:

I ran 20mph (impressive - oh wait that's mpw? ;) ) consistently for about 6 months with a high week of 31 miles (18 mile long run). My swim and cyclying volume was high -- about 3.5 hours a week of swimming and 8 hours of cycling on average (peaks were 4.5 hrs swimming and 12 hours cycling.

I also paced my IM bike extremely conservative and walked ~1 min through every aid station during marathon. I probably left a little out on the course but my first IM was just to finish so happy with my 13 hour mark.
I did 4:45 for my first IM last summer. I did about the same mileage or a little less in the 4 or 5 months leading up to it. I peaked at about 40km (25miles). My cycling volume was a little lower and my swim volume was a LOT lower until the last few weeks when it may have come close.
I was going well until 27km into the run when I had some awful pain in my arms and sides that I couldn't account for and the pain forced me to walk intermittently. Over the next kilometer or two I ended up walking more than I was running. Then I realised I hadn't taken any salt since I finished the bike and it was a warm race. I took 2 salt capsules and within 15 minutes I was picking up speed again. I finished reasonably fast but had lost about 25mins. I reckon a 4:15-4:20 was on the cards if I hadn't run into that problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
Curious the run volume people are putting in for MOP-like performances on the run. I ran a 4:45 off of about 20 miles/week average (peaked at 30 miles) - all easy. For my second IM I am bumping up my volume slightly but with swimming biking and the day job -- plus running being so much wear and tear I have opted to aim for around 25 miles/week. I know this is low for you top guys. I do not think it's feasible time-wise for me to get to 40+ mpw. I run my easy pace between 9:30-10:30 min/miles. 40 miles at that pace is a ton of time.

What is your height/weight? What is your standalone 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, or full marathon (any will do). How much do you bike a week? Swim?

30 miles/wk is plenty sufficient to running a sub 4 in an Ironman, but depending on your weight, and bike (and swimming fitness), and then of course, your race execution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends totally on the athlete I would have thought. I ran 3:40 in my first IM in pretty sweltering heat off an average of probably 30 mpw. But I'm lucky to have (what I assume to be) decent run economy and a little bit of natural ability. I was about 18min for 5k then. My easy run pace was maybe 8 min/mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
holograham wrote:

What is your height/weight? What is your standalone 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, or full marathon (any will do). How much do you bike a week? Swim?

30 miles/wk is plenty sufficient to running a sub 4 in an Ironman, but depending on your weight, and bike (and swimming fitness), and then of course, your race execution.

6'2" 190 -- 10k ~48 mins -- Bike 6-8 hours a week -- Swim 3.5 hours a week

I am not running 30 mpw -- I have been doing 20mpw and upping it to 25mpw -- not sure I can consistently get to 30+ with my bike/swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always nice to read a post from someone in my universe. I can never respond to the posts asking for advice on running a sub 3:15 IM marathon.
I was close to the time you are aiming for at WI last year.
My last ten weeks: 36,31,32,30,32,36,27,36,36,14
My coach is a bit sporadic, so there was no real pattern week to week. I did lots of two a day runs on the weekends. Sunday might be 9 mile run followed by 4k swim and then in the afternoon 5 mile run. Or two 9 mile runs on a Saturday separated by 5 hours. After each run I would do a 2k swim. My coach was big on swimming after running.
During the week on Wednesday anywhere from 7-10 miles. Thursday around 5 miles. He also had me do runs where I ran "Fast" and then stood for 2 minutes. I look at one that was 9 sets of run at 8:30 for 3 minutes and then stand/stretch for 2 minutes. I am not sure this helped my pace but, it did mix up the training. FWIW my longest single run was 15 miles 8 weeks out. I did a couple 14 mile runs in the last 3 weeks.
Obviously, a lot goes into a training plan (time in the sport, weight, time available to train, time to recover) but hopefully this gives you some idea. Happy Training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
aerobike wrote:
holograham wrote:

6'2" 190 -- 10k ~48 mins -- Bike 6-8 hours a week -- Swim 3.5 hours a week

I am not running 30 mpw -- I have been doing 20mpw and upping it to 25mpw -- not sure I can consistently get to 30+ with my bike/swim

Your weight is too high. Drop minimum 20lbs, if not 30. Running 25 mpw is fine if you lose the weight. And if you lose the weight, you'll be running faster in training and your run training time will be the same as it is now running 20 mpw, not disrupting your life any differently. Don't run faster until you lose weight. Bike minimum 8 hrs. Swim is fine for your purposes.
Last edited by: aerobike: May 23, 17 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easier said than done. I am looking to lose 5 pounds in the next 2 months before IMLP. Maybe 175 goal for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
Easier said than done. I am looking to lose 5 pounds in the next 2 months before IMLP. Maybe 175 goal for next year.

175 next year?! Your race is 10 weeks away. You can - and should - lose 15-16lbs over the next 8 weeks (which would bring you to 174) and then stabilize for the race. The amount of training you do, it is actually quite easy. How old are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 30

I dont think losing 1.5 pounds a week while under IM training load is possible. I am more a 1/2 pound a week type. I will take suggestions but I dont want to compromise training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a 4:51 at IM Cabo (my first) off of an average of 15 miles/week during the four months leading up. I peaked at 32, and my longest run was just under 14 miles (once I passed that during the race, every mile that ticked off i'd tell myself "good job! this is the furthest I have ever run!"). I did a lot of intensity on the run and held up ok. I also had a good amount of intensity and volume on the bike, at least ~8-10 hours/week. Swim prep was less than ideal, with probably only 1-2 sessions/week.

A couple of things i'd note about my time: (1) it was hot and humid in Cabo, and my run time was shockingly FOMOP, (2) this is probably because i'm a women and we are generally slower, and (3) I knew that I was way undertrained on the run and planned on walking aid stations to get in fluids/nutrition from the very beginning. This strategy worked well - I passed tons of people in the last 10k - but I probably left some time on the course (went 13:03).

I'm also doing IMLP. I have increased my run volume to closer to 25-30 mpw average, with the plan to peak at 40 mpw. My easy pace is about what yours is, and i'm doing a lot more easy running than before. I'm also doing more cycling and am very bike fit. I'm hoping to run 4-4:15, but this is probably a stretch.

Out of curiosity, what do others use as their measuring period for calculating their run average? The couple of months leading up? Four months? Six?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I averaged 25-28 mpw leading up to IMTX...my first full. Longest single run 13 miles..most miles in a day was 16. My easy pace is slow 930-1030. I ran often, but not always long. I did my long runs on Sunday, but they would be styled in a way such as after 20 min warm up, 20 min at 30 seconds below easy...5min recovery at e pace, repeat that twice then 15 min at min below e pace ..5min recovery, repeat twice ...then easy cool down...1:45 total run that packed a punch...would follow that up 5-6 hrs later with a 30-45 min easy run. The body only knows stress not miles. When I started double run days I was in some major pain, that same pain came back at the end of the ironman marathon, but I knew how to handle it by that point. Went 4:28 ...super happy with it being my first. This was mop for my AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
I am 30

I dont think losing 1.5 pounds a week while under IM training load is possible. I am more a 1/2 pound a week type. I will take suggestions but I dont want to compromise training.

Hmmmm, how badly do you want this? It is certainly possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
holograham wrote:
I am 30

Hmmmm, how badly do you want this? It is certainly possible.

So I already count calories pretty religiously. Just from what I read it's not good to cut that severely while building for an IM. I will happily take advice and I have the mentality to stick to it (I have dropped to current weight from 235).

Losing 1.5 pounds a week is netting about 1300 calories a day (BMR 2000 - 700 calorie deficit + food & exercise calories)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you using to calculate your ideal weight for racing? I'm just interested for my own assessment of where I need to be. I'm 6'0" and currently at 175lbs. I usually race 70.3 at 170lbs but based on your recommendation for the OP I'm thinking I might want to get quite a bit lighter. The lowest I've been is 165 and for me that feels quite skeletal.

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Re: Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
What are you using to calculate your ideal weight for racing? I'm just interested for my own assessment of where I need to be. I'm 6'0" and currently at 175lbs. I usually race 70.3 at 170lbs but based on your recommendation for the OP I'm thinking I might want to get quite a bit lighter. The lowest I've been is 165 and for me that feels quite skeletal.

Thanks,

Will

Lots of data. How old are you? To maximize your ironman run performance (assuming same training), you should get your weight no higher than 161. Target 147-161, lower is better assuming not losing s/b/r specific strength, losing lbs gradually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm 44 yrs old, where does that put me in that range?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
Barlow wrote:

Thanks,

Will

Lots of data. How old are you? To maximize your ironman run performance (assuming same training), you should get your weight no higher than 161. Target 147-161, lower is better assuming not losing s/b/r specific strength, losing lbs gradually.

Couple questions... statements really. I don't post much here but read a ton.

First, I am surprised at the lack of run volume being discussed here. I'm currently training for Madison 70.3 and my I'm running 35+ miles a week, every week, with at least one run at 13 miles. I wouldn't go all the way to 26 training for a full, but I'd definitely get up to a 20 mile run in, no different than a marathon training plan. That said, I am run-biased I suppose.

Second, I'm floored by the weight statement. I'm 5'11 and weigh 178, I have no intentions of being anywhere near what you're recommending for someone that's even taller than me. While the weight equation is a no-brainer, lighter = faster, I think this recommendation is excessive, especially without understanding body composition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
I am 30

You are correct I thinking this. Don't sabotage your race by losing that weight. It's a project for another time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why do people treat the run like a joke by aiming low.... shuffle jog and not work to a legit volume before going into an ironman? there is more fitness gained from running to help swim and bike. i remember a tim odonnel saying he only loves the run in triathlon, because that is how you finish! Frodo hit 100mpw on his builds...
Quote Reply
Re: Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely dont see it as a joke. I am not trying to skate by -- but be realistic on how I can balance my training. If I have (on average) 15 hours a week to train -- I cant spend my time doing 50mpw running (which would take me nearly 9 hours at my 'easy' pace). That would leave 6 for swimming and biking. Even a "low" 35mpw would be 6 hours of my time. Does not seem as efficient plus the wear and tear vs spending the majority of the time biking. I felt I ran pretty strong during my first IM marathon for my abilities. I ran about 10min mile pace and walked 1 mins or so through each aid station.

Say I take an average week

3 swims - 3.5 hours (1 hr, 1 hr, 1.5 hr)
4 bikes - 8 hrs (1hr intensity, 2hr endurance, 1hr tempo, 4 hr endurance) I would build endurance ride some weeks

That leaves 3.5 hours on average for running. Which for me is right around 20mpw. To get to 25/30 miles I am sacrificing an hour of bike time. Which I plan to do but still puts me way under what I read on here as "reasonable" IM volume.
Quote Reply
Re: Run Volume for 4 hour+ IM Marathon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
why do people treat the run like a joke by aiming low.... shuffle jog and not work to a legit volume before going into an ironman? there is more fitness gained from running to help swim and bike. i remember a tim odonnel saying he only loves the run in triathlon, because that is how you finish! Frodo hit 100mpw on his builds...
Frodo is a professional athlete who does not have to limit himself to say 15hrs a week.
He runs very considerably faster than the OP or myself.
So he has many more hours available to train, and can cover much more distance in each of them.

When people start threads, clearly stating their objectives and constraints, why do you come along saying "do more" and comparing them to professionals? It's absurd. If you think running should be a greater proportion of their training, say so. But you need to also indicate what should be sacrificed for the extra run volume.

I often look at my training plan and say "Gosh, I should swim way more". But fitting it in is a completely different story. If you're life is all about triathlon achieving results, good for you. I think it's fair to say most of us do what we can within time, cost and social constraints to achieve what we can. Everything is a compromise. Those who don't recognise this make their advice worthless (I'm not aiming this fully or specifically at you).
Quote Reply

Prev Next