Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: RunTraining (the links) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP: thank you so much for this! A friend of mine in atlanta told me about it 3 months ago and I followed it to the letter to train for a 10k today. Prior to this, I was doing 3 hard 10k runs per week and making no progress over the past 3 years. I even did an Ironman (with 3:52 marathon) on this basic strategy (3 hard runs per week and 1 long run). With your guidance I increased my mileage to 30/week (3x3,2x6,1x9) and then after a few weeks added tempo and race intervals in place of the medium runs. today I ran a 41:30, a PR for me by 2 minutes, and qualified for sub-seeded in the Peachtree Road Race next year!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND SERVICE TO THE SLOWTWITCH COMMUNITY!!! And to those thinking about trying this... believe me it works!
Quote Reply
Re: RunTraining (the links) [alpinegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today I did a race simulation for my next sprint tri. Without much effort at all I did a PR for the 5K run. I've been doing the BarryP run plan for only 4 weeks. I expect to do very well in my next race for me.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: RunTraining (the links) [alpinegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I apreciate it.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link to part 3 has been fixed if anyone was wondering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump...good resource and reads heading into the offseason (For the northern hemisphere, anyway)

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: RunTraining (the links) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying this out and would appreciate advice from those who have done it. There is a lot of info and I'm trying to work it out:

I have been following the running plan and doing ok of it.

I have done 5 weeks logging (with some previous background):

50, 50, 55, 60, 66 Kilometre weeks.

I have popped some 5 k fun runs in there just to make life more fun and have logged:

21:28
20:55
20:11
19:51

Now from reading the plans at phase 2 I switch one of the medium runs for a threshold run? I am not sure of when I am ready for that phase, I was building towards a Marathon in April so had planned to keep going with the phase 1 until I had a long run of around 33 Km.

Is that on the right path or can I start moving into Phase 2 earlier?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To Barry or anyone else who has done this, I have read through the articles and over the last 7 weeks I have completed:

50,55,60,66,73,80,88 with one week off as we had a baby, these are kms. I have been doing these as per phase one and I have not been getting any injury issues, the frequency seems to help a lot.

I am seeking guidance on phase2. From my reading of the articles Barry favours going out to 12 weeks especially for the marathon or IM. I am using this as a 5 month out season run focus.

Looking at the progression assuming my body holds up, I will have three more weeks where my distance tops out at around 110 k which will have my long run at the 80 % of race distance. If I can hold this together I plan to repeat the 100 K week twice more.

I can then move to phase 2? Where I switch one of the mid distance runs to a 20 min to one hour threshold effort while holding the other runs at the easy pace and distance of week 12?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice
Quote Reply
Re: RunTraining (the links) [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gone back and read part 1 and it seems that the plan favours going out to the 12 week mark before throwing in the workouts. Did anybody else get a bit bored doing the high base mileage weeks and get itching to do some faster stuff?

In terms of my background, 5 seasons of doing triathlon, average weeks of running around 50-60 k over the years but split over 3 to 4 runs, but no long term injuries, played football (soccer) and basketball growing up, so not run specific but not coming from the couch
Last edited by: Stevie G: Apr 20, 14 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Stevie, as you know I answered this in a PM. I just wanted to post here in case anyone is following along:

"In general I like phase 1 to be at least 6 weeks, but as long as 12 weeks. The length generally depends on running experience and the race distance you are training for. The less experienced you are, and the longer the race, the longer you want phase 1 to be.

Phase 2 should also be at least 6 weeks, and phase 3 should be 8-10 weeks for most people. The length of phase 2 is often dictated by when the A race is. So, in general, I take the A race and work backward 8-10 weeks to figure out the start of phase 3. I then take the beginning of training and work forward 6 weeks. Somewhere between there and 6 weeks before the beginning of phase 3 you'll want to begin phase 2."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent in a message, but just a public thanks for the help:

So after 8 weeks of base:

50,55,60,66,73,80,88,88 (km)

I did a performance test, rested for the week and did 5 k in 19:39 which is a PR and in the context of this year 50 seconds better than where I've been all year. Thanks for the help, can't wait to see what happens once I finish this base and get into the meaty work outs.

I really like the fact that such a simple approach just works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to give a big thanks for Barry and other forum contributors regarding the Barry P running plan.

I have been following the 6 days a week running plan since November. Thanks for Dev's (100/100) motivation - I put in a big running focus block this winter.

I just finished my first spring running race this past weekend. PR'd the course with a lower HR by a long shot.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: RunTraining (the links) [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run and average of 1,5 hour a week for an IM preparations, if I don't do almost only speed work I might as well not show up at the events.
IMO thats only applicable if you have enough time to train a lot. I've got 6 to 7 hours a week to train for the 3 sports.
I'll definitly look into this program if I can manage to train longer in the future
Last edited by: strangename: Aug 13, 18 21:36
Quote Reply
Re: RunTraining (the links) [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
I run and average of 1,5 hour a week for an IM preparations, if I don't do almost only speed work I might as well not show up at the events.
IMO thats only applicable if you have enough time to train a lot. I've got 6 to 7 hours a week to train for the 3 sports.
I'll definitly look into this program if I can manage to train longer in the future
You're reviving an old thread here. Last reply is over 2 years ago.
Regardless. I've trained less than the vast majority prior to doing an IM but I was still doing quite a bit more than you. I started at 6 to 7 hours a week and ramped it up to about 12hrs at peak.
If you only have 6 to 7 hours to train then I think it's folly to do IM distance races. Possible - yes, worthwhile - no (IMO). You'd be better off doing shorter distance races. Why aim for IM if you don't have the time to train for it. Do what you can fit in and enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Re: RunTraining (the links) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
strangename wrote:

You're reviving an old thread here. Last reply is over 2 years ago.
Regardless. I've trained less than the vast majority prior to doing an IM but I was still doing quite a bit more than you. I started at 6 to 7 hours a week and ramped it up to about 12hrs at peak.
If you only have 6 to 7 hours to train then I think it's folly to do IM distance races. Possible - yes, worthwhile - no (IMO). You'd be better off doing shorter distance races. Why aim for IM if you don't have the time to train for it. Do what you can fit in and enjoy it!

You're right, I'm sory for replying to this thread I have no idea how I managed to fall upon such an old topic...I didn't check the date. But to answer your post, It's the second IM I've done with that training, I've done some weeks at 10H however, 6.2H/week is the average in 8month training for the last. I've finished them in around 10h45 both, so even though I'd like to train more I find it interesting to optimise training as much as possible. Next season will be focused on shorter distance however, because having this litle time to train puts a lot on pressure to make sure you are always pushing yourself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next