Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool
Quote | Reply
and extrapolating a 1500m time...............

so today I complete RG on TR. An hour TT outside for those that will say thats the only way you can do it, would result in death as its 40+C and our drivers make the worst cases of arsehole driving in the US / Europe look like pussy cats. So RG it was..........

Its completely possible to blag the 2 by 8 minute version and have a grossly over inflated FTP, I'm pretty certain that its a little harder to do that over 20 minutes - it f**king sucks.....
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

so today I complete RG on TR. An hour TT outside for those that will say thats the only way you can do it, would result in death as its 40+C and our drivers make the worst cases of arsehole driving in the US / Europe look like pussy cats. So RG it was..........

Its completely possible to blag the 2 by 8 minute version and have a grossly over inflated FTP, I'm pretty certain that its a little harder to do that over 20 minutes - it f**king sucks.....

the Rubber Glove that I have, and I assume you're talking about the Sufferfest RG is as follows
  • 3:00 Warm-up at effort of 2/10
  • 3:00 3/10 Warm-up
  • 3:00 4/10 Getting warmer!
  • 3:00 5/10 Warmer still!
  • 3:00 6/10 Tempo
  • 3:00 7/10 Strong effort
  • 3:00 2/10 Recovery
  • 4 x 1:00 Fast pedal with 1:00 recovery
  • 3:00 Recovery at 2/10
  • 20:00 Pain, agony, misery and FTP
  • 3:00 Cool-down

so I don't know where the 2 x 8 min on your version is coming from.....
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avago wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

the Rubber Glove that I have, and I assume you're talking about the Sufferfest RG is as follows

I've kind of been doing a version of this lately;
~20 minute warmup
8 minute FTP stint,
~6 minute rest,
8 minute FTP
~10 minute rest off the bike
warmup
8 minute FTP
~20 minute tempo to home

That's my "pain day" that I normally do during the week. Do you think the RG you posted is a better workout?
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [FlacVest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlacVest wrote:
Avago wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

~20 minute warmup
8 minute FTP stint,
~6 minute rest,
8 minute FTP
warmup
8 minute FTP
~20 minute tempo to home

That's my "pain day" that I normally do during the week. Do you think the RG you posted is a better workout?

You get off the bike for 10 minutes?
I would have to say the 20' straight at FTP would feel like a harder workout then your spread out 3x8'.
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
FlacVest wrote:
Avago wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

You get off the bike for 10 minutes?
I would have to say the 20' straight at FTP would feel like a harder workout then your spread out 3x8'.

Not really, but there's a bench where I like to sit and re-fuel and take in calories.

I'll try out the 20 minutes and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
people are always trying to figure out a way to estimate FTP from shorter efforts as they seem to think they are easier and less painful. they are also less accurate.

if a workout with 2 or 3x8 @ FTP is that hard, someone's FTP is way off.
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [FlacVest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlacVest wrote:
Avago wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

~20 minute warmup
8 minute FTP stint,
~6 minute rest,
8 minute FTP
warmup
8 minute FTP
~20 minute tempo to home

Sorry to the OP, I though that they were doing the Sufferfest "Rubber Glove" as a FTP Test to determine their FTP and not as a workouts
so FlacVest, you're doing the 3 x 8 min at 100% of FTP... now I get it...
ok ok, well, don't ask me whats better, 4 days ago I had a 7 hr plus shocker of a ride at the Australian Ironman... what would I know what's the better workout :-))
Last edited by: Avago: May 5, 15 20:44
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
people are always trying to figure out a way to estimate FTP from shorter efforts as they seem to think they are easier and less painful. they are also less accurate.

3x8min on 0sec rest @ FTP might be hard.

But with some specific prep, I can pretty comfortably do 3x8min with 5min spin @ 110% of FTP or higher.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
tetonrider wrote:

3x8min on 0sec rest @ FTP might be hard.

But with some specific prep, I can pretty comfortably do 3x8min with 5min spin @ 110% of FTP or higher.

24' of FTP shouldn't be that hard if FTP is set correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Rubber Glove - 2 * 8 min FTP Test is like swimming in 12 yard pool [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whilst not clear - my point was that the RG 20 min test is harder and more likely to give a more accurate result than the 2 * 8 min test on TR - the 2 * 8 min test I can blag, the 20 min test might overestimate it a little but its a completely different beast. 2 * 8 is like doing 100 in a 20m pool and thinking its somewhat indicative of 1500 pace........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
whilst not clear - my point was that the RG 20 min test is harder and more likely to give a more accurate result than the 2 * 8 min test on TR - the 2 * 8 min test I can blag, the 20 min test might overestimate it a little but its a completely different beast. 2 * 8 is like doing 100 in a 20m pool and thinking its somewhat indicative of 1500 pace........
a minute or so back it was a 12 yard pool... now it's a 20 m pool... in a week or so it'll just be a straight open water 1,500m :-)

my apologies, I didn't know that TR had a 2 x 8 min FTP test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Maybe, maybe not
One week apart, my SF RG test gave a suggestted ftp of 249, and my TR 2x8m test gave an ftp of 219.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Depends on your fatigue profile! I'm not sure I could do so much better over 2*8 than 20 min or the 2*20 on 2 rest. Its all about what kind of suffering you are into... And your physiology.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Last edited by: mortysct: May 5, 15 23:54
Quote Reply