Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Round Bottle on down tube.
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's out there somewhere but what is actually lost with a round bottle on the down tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.98756567325734 watts

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All credibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
2.98756567325734 watts

And here I thought it was something like (19/20) * pi
Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
All credibility.

Perfect response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it depends

Sometimes, it's less aerodynamic (although, like anything, until you test it on your bike with you on it, how much is throwing darts blindfolded. Maybe nothing)

on the flip side, at least for triathletes (long course specifically) you gain a bit. Being able to have a spot that's easy (and almost certainly the most practiced of most cyclists) to reach and that basically every bottle you'll pick up at an aid station will fit "correctly" (I remember having a torpedo setup when I did long course, and without fail every bottle I picked up at an aid station had the top broken on and just poured water/sport drink on the front end, or I shoved it in my jersey and eliminated the "gain" of using a torpedo)

Are there safer (aerodynamically) places to put a bottle... pretty much, yeah. But sometimes just going with simple and reliable is worth some amount.

ymmv of course. Coming from a now TT'er only that doesn't carry any bottles (or an aero bottle on the frame for "show")

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I also heard is (next to incompatibility) aerobottles do not hold firmly in their cages. And for example the elite crono contains only 500 ml. All not very favourable on a long distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This question is specific to an upcoming 70.3. my current bottle setup is to bottle launchers behind the seat and one of those Elite Chrono Arrow bottles on the down tube that I was considering swapping out for traditional bottle. I sweat like a whore in Church and would like to carry as much Gatorade with me from the start as possible because they will only have water at the bottle exchanges. I apologize for any spelling errors this is being done via talk to text.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I hadn't tested specifically and knew for a fact it was costing me a considerable amount of time, I think I'd likely run a round cage these day, at least if I was on a "traditional" non-integrated hydration frame that was easy to refill. (Take that with a grain of salt as when I was actually doing long course stuff I did the exact opposite, but I think maybe have gotten slightly wiser with age...maybe...probably not...)

At some point, things can and do go wrong over 56 miles... usually it's not a catastrophe. At Aquabike Nats (the last "long course" race I did) I had a torhans aero30 that I had practiced the sh*t out of refilling before racing (with an aero bottle w/nutrition on the dt) yet at the aid station halfway I dropped the bottle while trying to pour it into the TH. That was bad. I might have dropped it anyways with a round cage, but I think it's certainly less likely I did. I would have lost some time with a slower setup most likely, but not as much time as I lost because I had nothing to drink for an important section.

Again, it all depends. Lots of people rock the most aero setup possible and do just fine and will say you just practice it and it's all good. I would have argued for that exact thing a year or two ago. I just think my perception on just how good I am at making 0 mistakes during a race has changed over the years, but again, ymmv

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

At some point, things can and do go wrong over 56 miles...

I just think my perception on just how good I am at making 0 mistakes during a race has changed over the years

What you wanna say is ok to me.

I also run a round bottle on my down tube (I used to fool around with these profile design bottles with straws). I do not do flying mounts anymore (did it, but found out I'm too clumsy for that). I do not grab bottles behind the saddle (I tried, but I decided again I'm too clumsy especially in race stress). I'm over 55, what can I say?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Close to nil for me. Racing draft legal...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
2.98756567325734 watts

Unless it's faster!!!!!!!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular frames where it's faster?

desert dude wrote:
Quote:
2.98756567325734 watts

Unless it's faster!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes there are and but they are all the smaller/est size frames. there are a few where it's neutral on the medium size frames

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I do not grab bottles behind the saddle (I tried, but I decided again I'm too clumsy especially in race stress). I'm over 55, what can I say?

I'm 31 and have trouble with this, haha. I can do it, but I have to take care and probably lose any time from aero gains. Most training rides, I just swap the rear bottle with the BTA while at a light. Current plan for my first 70.3 is keeping nutrition bottle back there for use every 30 minutes. But toying with the idea of doing the unthinkable and putting a bottle in the triangle. I've spent too much money on gadgets to not do that, haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm sure it's out there somewhere but what is actually lost with a round bottle on the down tube?
It makes your bike go backwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your best bet is to remove all bottles on down tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Round Bottle on down tube. [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
I do not grab bottles behind the saddle (I tried, but I decided again I'm too clumsy especially in race stress). I'm over 55, what can I say?

I'm 31 and have trouble with this, haha. I can do it, but I have to take care and probably lose any time from aero gains. Most training rides, I just swap the rear bottle with the BTA while at a light. Current plan for my first 70.3 is keeping nutrition bottle back there for use every 30 minutes. But toying with the idea of doing the unthinkable and putting a bottle in the triangle. I've spent too much money on gadgets to not do that, haha.

Me 2. I'm deff running a aero bottle in the triangle. Maybe even a round one.
Quote Reply