Their website is struggling at the moment
I hadn't heard anything about it until now

/runs off to DCrainmaker

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This link works better: http://power.rotorbike.com/ and http://inpower.rotorbike.com/
Last edited by: rijndael: Apr 16, 15 3:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it me or does there seem to be quite a disparity between EU and U.S. pricing?
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, looks like they are using an old exchange rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike Rumor has also published an article: All New Rotor Inpower Hides Power Meter Inside Crank Spindle

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks nice, but can't put it on my BB90 Boone, so none for me.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks really interesting. One of these days I'll make a decision...
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [BoKnowsT1D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just left leg power?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BoKnowsT1D wrote:
Is it just left leg power?

Since your right leg doesn't apply any significant torque to the spindle, it can only measure left leg power.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see. Thanks Andrew! So unless the PM offers true L/R measurement, it's either spindle or spider for crank based PMs. Perhaps I'll just grab a used Powertap and bypass all of that. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BoKnowsT1D wrote:
unless the PM offers true L/R measurement, it's either spindle or spider for crank based PMs.

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by the above, but...

To measure total power with a crank-based powermeter requires instrumenting either both sides (e.g., the original Rotor powermeter, Verve), or the spider (e.g., SRM, Quarq). If you instrument only the left side (e.g., Stages, Rotor LT) or the spindle (axle) (e.g., Ergomo, new Rotor), power supplied by the right leg isn't sensed, as it is transmitted directly to the drivetrain.

ETA: I don't recall seeing these sentences in the original article (although it is quite possible that I missed them):

"It can only measure from the left because the force coming from the left crankarm being pedaled has to travel through the spindle to get to the spider. On the driveside, your power is going directly to the spider, which is why so many crank based power meters measure power there. Those measure aggregate power without left or right information. Here, it’s doubling the left side’s number to give you total power."

What's really confusing, though, is the shot of the head unit showing pedal smoothness for both the left and right legs, which isn't possible. Perhaps the fact that the crank being tested was a prototype means that data were being misreported via the ANT+ protocol, thus accounting for this error as well as the fact that torque effectiveness wasn't reported (BTW, contrary to the article neither of those metrics are new, being developed/introduced in response to release of the original Rotor powermeter.)

Last comment: my right leg is particularly "smooth", but even it never reaches 35% (of course, there's also no evidence that maximizing "smoothness" improves performance/function in any way...in fact, all of the data point in the opposite direction).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Apr 17, 15 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a dual power version with sensors on both sides.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
There is a dual power version with sensors on both sides.

That's the original Rotor powermeter (that I tested for ~1 y) - see the answer to the 1st question of their FAQ found here:

http://inpower.rotorbike.com/faqs/?lang=en
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hm.. Your last point. Have you seen that pedal smoothness decreases when a rider becomes more fit, or just that very fit riders tend to have a lower smoothness?

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
Hm.. Your last point. Have you seen that pedal smoothness decreases when a rider becomes more fit, or just that very fit riders tend to have a lower smoothness?

Pedal smoothness tends to increase with increasing power output, so I'd favor the latter explanation.

Certainly, my pedal smoothness hasn't really changed over the last ~1 y, despite my FTP dropping by >100 W (due to ~4 mo of zero training due to a crash) then increasing again by ~50 W.

BTW, note that for those who have true dual-sided powermeters, WKO4 will include new metrics designed to provide better insight into a rider's pedaling "style".

ETA: I posted some graphs of my own balance, torque effectiveness, and pedal smoothness as a function of power and cadence on the TRWPM FB page back in early December of 2013 if anyone's interested.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Apr 17, 15 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it me using my smartphone? Where is the price?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the powermeter market as an example for my economics classes. The evolution from SRM ($$$$) to the current models available with all the different price points......almost perfect textbook example of a competitive market. I just treat all the PM's as prefect substitutes which would cause Andrew to cringe. :)

Quote | Reply
hmmm, its seems to have sparked a bit of a price drop for vectors :D

edit

ah, I see why now

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ctor2-announced.html

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Last edited by: Anth: Apr 17, 15 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it a class in Keynesian economics?
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
Is it a class in Keynesian economics?

Nobody teaches Keynesian anymore. Krugman is the last man standing in that camp. lol.

Quote | Reply
Didn't Bernanke just give us a good lesson in Keynesian Economics ?
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor has just launched a new power meter [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

Keynesian economics as most people know it doesn't exist anymore. The model is currently evolving to accommodate the failures of the model during the recession. It's now referred to as the new Keynesian model.economics understand there is no one model that fixes everything and anything.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

Keynesian economics as most people know it doesn't exist anymore. The model is currently evolving to accommodate the failures of the model during the recession. It's now referred to as the new Keynesian model.economics understand there is no one model that fixes everything and anything.

Economics is not science since it cannot predict anything.
It is Monday morning quarterbacking with fancy graphs.
Last edited by: Halvard: Apr 18, 15 10:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next