Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rotating 2 weeks on with 2 recovery days vs. 3 weeks on/1 week recovery
Quote | Reply
I'm tempted to switch my approach to training. I find that when I get to the 3rd week I'm usually smashed and need the recovery week. I'm wondering how effective the training really is that 3rd week. Has anyone every had any success rotating 2 weeks on and 2-3 active recovery days. It seems I would get more training stimulus this way.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating 2 weeks on with 2 recovery days vs. 3 weeks on/1 week recovery [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just one of dozens of opinions but I prefer not to think in terms of recovery weeks and don't really vary volume/intensity on a weekly basis. I also rarely take any days completely off but usually still have 1-2 easier recovery days each week. This is both how I structure my own training as well as many of the athletes I coach. If you are managing your training stress continuously you'll rarely feel the need for a multi-day recovery period except maybe at the end of a solid block of 6-8 weeks. My standard weekly schedule has only a swim on M and F. Those are "recovery" days. Tue-Thurs are solid quality work including long run. Sat-Sun are long rides with a good amount of moderate tempo. I can generally repeat that weekly cycle indefinitely without NEEDING a break. If anything I need a mental break before physical. Regardless, forget about whatever the traditional approach has been (e.g. 3 weeks on, 1 week recovery or whatever). The trick is to figure out how you can maximize the consistent work you do without needing to disrupt it with extended recovery. I'm actually doing 2 days on, 1 day off right now because it's early in the season and I'm finding it tough to log 3 straight days of high quality training. Those "off" days still have swims but no bike/run.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating 2 weeks on with 2 recovery days vs. 3 weeks on/1 week recovery [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Joel said it's about managing the demands of training through out the week. Think of training both during the week and week to week as a sine wave

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been working with a couple of masters endurance athletes using 2x 9-day microcycles plus 3 day recovery period for a total of 21 day mesocycle. I do see trending data showing much better recovery patterns.
The two 9-day weeks each has one day free of any activity or restorative yoga only. For runner only, there is a breakthrough workout every 72 hours. For triathletes stacking of BT workouts is different. The 3 easy days in the 3rd week are really really easy, with most emphasis on recovery and restoration modalities and light active recovery work.
This is for intermediate level late 40s to early 50s athletes that I am referring to. Discern from this what you need.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating 2 weeks on with 2 recovery days vs. 3 weeks on/1 week recovery [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
As Joel said it's about managing the demands of training through out the week. Think of training both during the week and week to week as a sine wave

+1 this guy with the wisdom!!!

My training now is purely for bike racing and I use a modified trainer road plan but it's still the same thought process as DD. Often at the end of a 6 week block I feel just fine and don't even want a recovery week/break.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating 2 weeks on with 2 recovery days vs. 3 weeks on/1 week recovery [nstearns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nstearns wrote:
desert dude wrote:

+1 this guy with the wisdom!!!

My training now is purely for bike racing and I use a modified trainer road plan but it's still the same thought process as DD. Often at the end of a 6 week block I feel just fine and don't even want a recovery week/break.

Why is that better than overloading for two weeks and then using a couple to four easier days for recovery?

I've used your approach for several years but am starting to believe it's not the right way for me any more. I've been plateaued for a few years now.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating 2 weeks on with 2 recovery days vs. 3 weeks on/1 week recovery [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd argue its different for everyone... Best to look at your historical data and find the best trends for each person.

Some respond to constant training and continually see numbers rise... others benefit from high stress in short time.

Rather than focus on a generalized idea of how long to train and how long to recover, why don't you let the data tell you whats best for your body. After all, its not about who can accumulate the most stress... its about who can adapt the most and see the biggest gains. Different for all athletes and race demands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: Rotating 2 weeks on with 2 recovery days vs. 3 weeks on/1 week recovery [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm letting my data tell me now. I've just started the cycles this year. Maybe in 6 months I'll know.

Unlike many, I rarely miss a training day. I'm single with few responsibilities and have surrounded myself with people that do the same things I do.
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 19, 17 15:42
Quote Reply