Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rookie training mistakes
Quote | Reply
Fun Friday game for you all.

I'm pretty new to triathlon, but not new to competitive sport (my background is in swimming and rowing). Since starting tri training I've noticed that certain things universally mark you out as being an amateur, pretty much regardless of what sport you're doing. I'm definitely not talking about not having the best kit, or a flashy bike, or being a particular speed - I've got nothing but respect for the guy who blazes past me on a beat up hybrid, or the person who is slower but working really hard. What I'm talking about is your approach to training, and to looking after yourself so you can get the most out of whatever it is you like doing.

I'll start with a couple of examples of what I would consider rookie training mistakes:

1. Hanging around in dirty kit after training
This one is so common. If we spent more than about 5 minutes after a training session in wet dirty kit, we'd get a hiding. You're asking to get ill. I see people leaving the gym in the kit they trained in with no shower all the time. In particular, there seem to be a lot of girls at the moment who wear their carefully co-ordinated gym outfits basically all day, including after training. That's grim. I appreciate you might not always have the shower and changing facilities if you're out training somewhere remote, but in a gym there's no excuse.

2. Not knowing why you're doing the session you're doing
I had a coach once who would never tell us the purpose of our session, like it was a big secret only she was allowed to know. She didn't last long. She was followed by a coach who would sit down with us at the beginning of each session and explain what it was, and what we were trying to achieve. It made everyone so much more focused. I think far too many people aimlessly follow a plan they don't understand the purpose of, and then wonder why it's not working for them or they're stuck in a rut.

3. Too much easy, not enough horrible
I have a friendly nickname for when you're so gassed you can barely see. I call it "The Horrible Place". Over the years I've learned to love The Horrible Place, but I think it takes a while before you embrace its value. For many years, I thought I was doing the hard sessions properly, and couldn't understand why I wasn't getting any better. Turns out I was just sub consciously wussing out, even though I thought I wasn't. I've now learned that without The Horrible Place, I'm not going anywhere.

Add your own observations to the list. No gloating please, let's keep it civil.
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [lethaldrizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lethaldrizzle wrote:
This one is so common. If we spent more than about 5 minutes after a training session in wet dirty kit, we'd get a hiding. You're asking to get ill. I see people leaving the gym in the kit they trained in with no shower all the time. In particular, there seem to be a lot of girls at the moment who wear their carefully co-ordinated gym outfits basically all day, including after training. That's grim. I appreciate you might not always have the shower and changing facilities if you're out training somewhere remote, but in a gym there's no excuse.

Not sure I understand. As someone who bikes to the gym - I really don't understand. Care to expand/clarify?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a hard bike ride or run a lot of times ill stop to eat or get a smoothie or something, which involves me hanging around in dirty used tri kit or bib shorts... so yeah don't get that. Maybe I'm too much of a rookie?

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point, if you're cycling home then it would be a case of changing as soon as you got back. Personally I would probably still shower and bring clean kit to cycle home in, just out of habit. But it's when people either hang around for ages after training in dirty kit / travel home in a car or on public transport without changing that it becomes problematic. It's something we were particularly concerned with as rowers because more often than not your kit would be wet at the end of a session, and it just wasn't worth the risk of getting ill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to say that I probably violate your rookie mistakes on the kit rule as well. Especially after harder rides I will end up laying on the floor in my cycling kit for a long while before I can bring myself to shower.

It is a different story if I am wet though but usually cause I am already cold and I am a wimp at being cold.
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get what he is saying about the kit stuff.

Ive seen girls do Yoga and then go about there day and go shopping in the same outfit. Quite rank.

On the other hand - I might go running and then mow the lawn, clean the boat, or do something in the garage since I am already sweaty.

But I live in Florida - so if you get a cold from a wet kit - you got bigger problems as it is 90 degrees here at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lethaldrizzle wrote:
Good point, if you're cycling home then it would be a case of changing as soon as you got back. Personally I would probably still shower and bring clean kit to cycle home in, just out of habit. But it's when people either hang around for ages after training in dirty kit / travel home in a car or on public transport without changing that it becomes problematic. It's something we were particularly concerned with as rowers because more often than not your kit would be wet at the end of a session, and it just wasn't worth the risk of getting ill.

I will make a counter argument. See for me, wearing the dirty kit is a sure way to keep the women away and that keeps you healthy and focused ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I had not considered that additional benefit. I stand corrected.
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, this is the sort of thing I meant. If you're doing something else sweaty after training (mowing the lawn, cycling home...I'll leave it there) then fair enough. But to go about the rest of your day for several hours after training without washing is pretty heinous, even if all you've done is puppy yoga or whatever (astonishingly this is a real thing: http://www.dogamahny.co.uk/)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the opposite of #3 is also true,
#4 too much horrible, not enough easy. people out killing themselves every training session, running a 5k as fast as the can all the time, but never 10 miles easy, wondering why they aren't getting faster.

balance is the key here, just the right amount of horrible mixed in with the easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
i think the opposite of #3 is also true,
#4 too much horrible, not enough easy. people out killing themselves every training session, running a 5k as fast as the can all the time, but never 10 miles easy, wondering why they aren't getting faster.

balance is the key here, just the right amount of horrible mixed in with the easy.

This was my initial reaction. Going hard all the time. Finding that balance is hard - simply relaying my own "newbie" mistakes that I keep doing 10 years on. :)
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 27, 16 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All true, which is why I said it in relation to hard sessions - should have made that clearer. This is of course assuming you already have a good balance of sessions and you're not going full blaze all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lethaldrizzle wrote:
Fun Friday game for you all.

I'm pretty new to triathlon, but not new to competitive sport (my background is in swimming and rowing). Since starting tri training I've noticed that certain things universally mark you out as being an amateur, pretty much regardless of what sport you're doing. I'm definitely not talking about not having the best kit, or a flashy bike, or being a particular speed - I've got nothing but respect for the guy who blazes past me on a beat up hybrid, or the person who is slower but working really hard. What I'm talking about is your approach to training, and to looking after yourself so you can get the most out of whatever it is you like doing.

I'll start with a couple of examples of what I would consider rookie training mistakes:

2. Not knowing why you're doing the session you're doing
I had a coach once who would never tell us the purpose of our session, like it was a big secret only she was allowed to know. She didn't last long. She was followed by a coach who would sit down with us at the beginning of each session and explain what it was, and what we were trying to achieve. It made everyone so much more focused. I think far too many people aimlessly follow a plan they don't understand the purpose of, and then wonder why it's not working for them or they're stuck in a rut.

3. Too much easy, not enough horrible
I have a friendly nickname for when you're so gassed you can barely see. I call it "The Horrible Place". Over the years I've learned to love The Horrible Place, but I think it takes a while before you embrace its value. For many years, I thought I was doing the hard sessions properly, and couldn't understand why I wasn't getting any better. Turns out I was just sub consciously wussing out, even though I thought I wasn't. I've now learned that without The Horrible Place, I'm not going anywhere.

Add your own observations to the list. No gloating please, let's keep it civil.

Rookie ST mistake
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Thanks for the insightful comment though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At what point does a kit become dirty? 1 hr? 2? 3?

Should I bring extra kits to change in to on rides over 4 hrs so I don't get ill?

Will I get ill if I pee on the bike and din't change kits before the run during a race? Kind of kills the time savings of peeing...
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

Should I bring extra kits to change in to on rides over 4 hrs so I don't get ill?

Will I get ill if I pee on the bike and din't change kits before the run during a race? Kind of kills the time savings of peeing...

And for that matter what do you do if you pee while running?

I don't see what wearing a dirty kit has anything to do with anything. You don't get a cold from being cold and wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

And for that matter what do you do if you pee while running?

I don't see what wearing a dirty kit has anything to do with anything. You don't get a cold from being cold and wet.

I guess you need to carry extra kits while running too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but you do get all manner of unpleasant infections, both bacterial and fungal, particularly in shorts. You can pee your pants as much as you like but one of the most common causes of male thrush is sitting around in sweaty lycra for too long. So just have a shower.

And your kit becomes dirty when you've finished training. It's really not that complicated. I don't know why people are defending so vigorously their right to sit around in smelly kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lethaldrizzle wrote:
No, but you do get all manner of unpleasant infections, both bacterial and fungal, particularly in shorts. You can pee your pants as much as you like but one of the most common causes of male thrush is sitting around in sweaty lycra for too long. So just have a shower.

And your kit becomes dirty when you've finished training. It's really not that complicated. I don't know why people are defending so vigorously their right to sit around in smelly kit.
So it's like some magic threshold? Your kit is not dirty while you are using it, but the instant you hit stop on the Garmin it is officially dirty? How long is the acceptable waiting period to change?

Look I am not "defending" sitting around in dirty kit, but the reality is sometimes you just can't change right away. And really the kit is pretty disgusting even just part way through a training session or race, to include all manner of... stuff... that ends up in it. Over the course of a full distance race it would be "dirty" for many hours and you still have to wear it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly in a race, your kit will take a beating and yes, you could be racing in it for a long time. But I'm not talking about racing, I'm talking about everyday training. And it's not a 'magical threshold', it's a case of doing it as soon as you can in order to minimize the chances of you getting an unwelcome infection. Just because you spend hours in your kit on race day it doesn't mean you wouldn't be better off getting out of it sooner on a regular training day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
training for the swim like you train for running = big mistake

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Rookie training mistakes [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
training for the swim like you train for running = big mistake

Sooooo... are you saying I should be taking my shoes off then???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not practicing transitions.

Spend an extra 30 seconds in transitions and that 6:40/mi 5K at the end of a sprint tri becomes a 6:50/mi 5K. So you kill yourself in training to get to 6:40/mi and then give it all back on race day because you are too cool (or stupid) to practice putting on your shoes or experimenting with different/faster ways to do things. Talk about free speed. It's right there in front of you.

Yes, I speak from experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was always told that sitting around in your wet and nasty kit after a workout promotes saddles sores and general nastiness down below. Maybe that's just an old wive's tale.
Quote Reply

Prev Next