Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roll down tri top under swim skin
Quote | Reply
Does anyone do this?
Wondering what the feasibility is (without causing issues on the swim).
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down tri top under swim skin [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless it's a sleeved tri suit, why would you do this?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down tri top under swim skin [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is .......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming in sleeved tri suits can cause restriction issues around the shoulders. Also, Ironman bans it. You will get a DQ if caught swimming with the sleeves on. USAT hasn't banned it yet.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 20, 15 11:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes- I understand that if during a non-wetsuit swim you have sleeves (even covering shoulders) you will get DQ'd by Ironman. So that was why I was inquiring as to whether anyone has rolled the top down under the swim skin (i.e.- off the shoulders) and then after removing swim skin, getting into the top and zipping up.

I am obviously going to test first but before I even go "investing" I was wondering if others out there have tried such. I have heard that some will do this and there are no issues whatsoever. Guess I'm just looking for clarification / reassurance.

Thanks though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every pro triathlete with sleeved suits does this. Every age grouper does this. If you want the sleeved suit, you must have a swim skin. Get out of the water, roll the swim skin down and pull your sleeves on as you run to T1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess there's some reassurance ................
Thanks man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep! Get the sleeved suit and a nice swimskin and enjoy it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do this. I have the LG Course suit. It is easier to get on because of the full zipper. Some of the suits (like the PI octane) have shorter zippers which can make it tough. I used that last year and it was a bit of a struggle.

Quote | Reply
Yes- mine will not be a full speed suit but just a top with zipper (so it is short). However, I am scrawny and should be able to wiggle my way into it ..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great visual.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No issues. Been using it since last year. 3 70.3s.

Roka swimskin and Fusion Multisport SS. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down tri top under swim skin [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well crap! Now it looks like you might risk being DQ'ed if you choose to do so (roll down top under swim skin).

See here:
Rule 4.01.g clarifies further that you can't wear a sleeved top under a sleeveless wetsuit or speedsuit. The bottom line here is that you only wear those tops in the swim under a full suit. Your only other option is putting it on during T1.

So if I'm reading this correctly, this means you can't even roll it down under speed suit without risking being disqualified.

Great, just great! Not sure how possible it's going to be to try to wrestle this on in T1.

Guess it took me buying a sleeved top to screw this completely up!!!!!
Last edited by: Y-Tri: May 22, 15 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Well crap! Now it looks like you might risk being DQ'ed if you choose to do so (roll down top under swim skin).

See here:
Rule 4.01.g clarifies further that you can't wear a sleeved top under a sleeveless wetsuit or speedsuit. The bottom line here is that you only wear those tops in the swim under a full suit. Your only other option is putting it on during T1.

So if I'm reading this correctly, this means you can't even roll it down under speed suit without risking being disqualified.

Great, just great! Not sure how possible it's going to be to try to wrestle this on in T1.

Guess it took me buying a sleeved top to screw this completely up!!!!!

No, you can't wear it with your arms covered under a swim skin or sleeveless wetsuit. You most certainly can roll it down.

Quote | Reply
I see. Guess they should have continued on and said "Your only other option is putting it on during T1 or to roll down underneath a swim skin".

Anyway ........... good to know. Thanks man. Happy training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. That could be worded better to avoid confusion. You too!

Quote | Reply
I considered this option for IMCHOO, but in the end it just wasn't worth it. I looked at the Castelli T1: Stealth which claims a 3 minute advantage in wind tunnel testing over a 5 hour IM course. So, if they are publicizing it, that is best case scenario. That means perfect fit. TIGHT! With no wrinkles.

So I've got to put a skin tight top on with wet arms and assuming I get it on with no lost time whatsoever and my fit is ideal, the best I can save is 3:00? No thanks. What if it takes me longer than three minutes as I struggle with wet arms? Now, I've just spent $150 to be slower.

I know sleeved tops are the rage right now, but most of the one I have seen aren't even close to fitting right. So while I encourage others in M 40-44 to get them, I just don't see the benefit in regards to cost/risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down tri top under swim skin [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
I considered this option for IMCHOO, but in the end it just wasn't worth it. I looked at the Castelli T1: Stealth which claims a 3 minute advantage in wind tunnel testing over a 5 hour IM course. So, if they are publicizing it, that is best case scenario. That means perfect fit. TIGHT! With no wrinkles.

So I've got to put a skin tight top on with wet arms and assuming I get it on with no lost time whatsoever and my fit is ideal, the best I can save is 3:00? No thanks. What if it takes me longer than three minutes as I struggle with wet arms? Now, I've just spent $150 to be slower.

I know sleeved tops are the rage right now, but most of the one I have seen aren't even close to fitting right. So while I encourage others in M 40-44 to get them, I just don't see the benefit in regards to cost/risk.

I have done it 3 times now. Twice with the Pearlizumi and once with the Garneau. The Pearlizumi is much harder to get on and I did feel like I might tear the suit; however, I never did. I promise you that it will not take 3 minutes. That is silly. It took me about 10-15 seconds to pull it on in transition without ever having practiced it. I am sure that you could practice doing it on the run out of swim exit and lose zero time.

Let me emphasize I never practiced this. I just rolled the suit into my swim skin. Did the swim. Unzipped my swim skin. Pulled the top up. Both suits fit skin tight with no wrinkles. In fact when I put them on I feel like a sausage in a casing that is 2 sizes too small.

If you are in my age group, don't do it. It is completely impossible and not worth the time savings.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll down tri top under swim skin [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
It took me about 10-15 seconds to pull it on in transition without ever having practiced it. I am sure that you could practice doing it on the run out of swim exit and lose zero time.

I practiced running up and down my stairs doing it, wasn't wet but figured it introduced a an extra element of difficulty and was able to get into it in one flight, this was cramming myself into a medium PI.

No time lost.
Quote Reply