Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roka tri suit
Quote | Reply
Check out Roka's new suits they are looking good. Although similar color to Louis garneau, I personally already own the garneau so no need to double up but if I hear good reviews then the possibility may open up.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [Ngarrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered 1, hope sizing is right.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [Wetfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Wetfeet,

Thanks for the support. If sizing is off, we can swap out the suit no prob unless we are out of stock. We have free shipping / free returns, with a return label in the box, so should be pretty straightforward. Please ping support@rokasports.com or call us at 877-985-7652 if you have any issues.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [rokasports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob, experienced your customer service first hand with the Maverick X wetsuit sizing exchange, top notch. Great wetsuit, zero shoulder fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@rokasports--Will you be offering other colors in the future?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any testing data you are willing to share?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will Roka offer 2-piece tri gear?
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, we will likely offer colors next year, but this first offering is black with the color pop hits.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [anibalplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we are in production now on some two piece styles. Will hopefully have them in time for Kona, but it will be very tight. Will have a couple different short lengths. On tops, we will not have a short sleeve two-piece top though on that timeline, because we need to spend a little more time patternmaking to get the fit of the sleeves right. It is a little trickier when you don't have the tension on the suit of a one-piece garment.

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those designs also with the neon yellow? I think it'll match great with the Felt IA 14 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry Roka has once again started with pink for women.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [Ngarrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So has anyone actually tried one of these suits yet? In the market for a sleeved suit for fall races and this one looks very interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [delfinbeth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
delfinbeth wrote:
So has anyone actually tried one of these suits yet? In the market for a sleeved suit for fall races and this one looks very interesting.

I just got one to compare with a few other suits since my PI is getting stretched out. My first impression is its a nice suit. The material seems to be well made and feels comfortable. I'm 6'1 160lbs and the MT fits me well. I ordered an ST also but there's no way I would have been able fit in it. I'm getting some wrinkles on the sleeves when I'm in the aero position so it might be a no go. I can adjust it so they go away but I don't want to be scared to move for the whole bike ride. I like the nutrition pockets on the back better than my Octane. With the Octane my Gel flask would bounce around and I don't see that happening with the Roka. If I end up keeping it I'll report back after using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also just got one -- I'm about 5'11"/175lb and got a medium. It fits well (tight), feels good on, and seems well constructed. I've also worn an LG M2 and for me the fit and feel is better (for some reason, the M2 feels "heavy" or thick -- I don't know that it really is, or is warmer than other suits in actuality).

I decided to keep it and wore it for about 70m on the trainer this morning and it felt good -- the chamois was good (i.e. I didn't notice it; I was on an Adamo TT saddle).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I helped out Roka's design team last summer in Boulder and had the opportunity to test these suits out for several weeks. Although the final product has a few positive changes from the prototypes that we wore last year, most of the features look the same. After testing the suit out for several weeks my feedback was that this is a top of the line suit that will rival the best suits out there including the ones that I have personal experience with which is Cuore, Castelli, Endura, and Wattie ink. (Kiwami's suit looks great but have not tried it at this time)

In my opinion the two best things about the suit are the fit and the material. The fit was perfect and I tested a size small. I am 5'10 and 155lbs. Absolutely zero wrinkles in the shoulder or arms and felt very comfortable both running and biking. The arm and leg grippers felt snug but felt zero restrictions. I forgot the name of material that they used but it is very different than any other material that I have worn before. I haven't seen any aero data on it at this time (maybe that is coming soon) but it just felt really fast on the bike. I understand the aero scientist are shaking their heads at that but if just felt really slippery outside on the open roads.

Like a previous poster mentioned the pockets work very well and are easy to access. I love how the sleeves come all the way down to the top of the elbow and provide maximum arm coverage and the leg length in my opinion is spot on as well. The chamios was very effective on the bike and not noticeable on the run.

My negative feedback after I tested it was that the protoype I had was not a full zip. It looks like they fixed that. The other feedback was if I would wear this on the run on a really super hot day. (Kona or hotter) What makes it feel great on the bike may make it feel a little hot on the run. I also think the same thing with many other sleeved suits and if you look at the Kona race last year many pros that wear endura and castelli opted to change to sleeveless tops for the run. It felt great running in 90 degree dry heat but we all know IM doesnt shy away from hot humid races so not sure what I would decide if I were doing Texas in the middle of May.

I do want to add that I am not affiliated with Roka what so ever and I am not trying to come off as a used car salesman. It has been cool to see several companies step their game up in the tri apparel world and we as athletes have a lot of good options right now to decide from. Coure and Endura have some great options but all three combined with Roka are a little different in their own right and its up to personal preference or aero testing or which one you think looks the coolest at this point.

Lastly I will add that with Roka taking some heat for their price points as of late on this board (some of that deserved), the price point for both of their Tri Suits are very competitive and I was a bit surprised to be honest. I would have guessed $300-400 based on comparing it to other products in the market that are equally awesome.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great feedback! I thought the price point was very reasonable in comparison to other suits of similar quality. Can't wait to try one out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also got one of the sleeved suits. I'm 5'11"+ (but not 6'), and 165lb and the medium fits well (tight, but well with no noticeable restrictions on movement). I have no wrinkles at all with the sleeves, so I'm guessing this will vary from person to person. I'll say I'm actually quite impressed with what I'm seeing in this suit, especially with the stitching and attention to detail. My other suits for comparison are two Kiwami suits (a trinamik from several years ago and an amphibian I've race in the past two seasons).
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm borderline 6'2. The waist would be big but maybe I should have got a LT and it would help eliminate some of the wrinkles. I think its pulling weird because I've got wide shoulders, small biceps and it might be too tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob any wind tunnel data that you can share?
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I would like to, but I think people over-rotate on tunnel data for this application, so would prefer not for now.

Some background:

We actually spent a fair amount of time and money to build a custom mannequin in a very real TT position, as well as some other props, for this project. We did multiple protocols in the San Diego tunnel at different speeds to test a large number of fabrics, our actual suits, and a large number of competitor suits. Mat Steinmetz led the project with our senior product line manager, Kelly Emich, who also had a lot of tunnel experience from her prior work at Pearl Izumi.

Working with the team at the tunnel, we collected a very solid data set that we believe has a lot of integrity. Interestingly, we found the mannequin testing to be much more accurate than testing on a live model, because no matter who you are, you just can't hold a reliable position for an extended period to the degree of accuracy we wanted. Based on that data, we signed off on some things and also made some additional tweaks that we know would further improve performance.

However, I am not particularly interested in sharing the data at this time for a few reasons. First, I think static aero performance doesn't necessarily show the fastest suit in real world conditions. It's interesting, but it's also important, in my opinion, that we look at the entire performance equation, not just one element, aero. In my opinion, you also have to consider function, fit, support, comfort, durability, etc. Questions include: do you like the decoupled front zip mechanism to speed up bathroom breaks? Can you quickly access nutrition in your back pockets without an aero penalty caused by fiddling with a seal internal pocket? Can you be confident your stuff isn't going to get ejected when you hit a bump or some chipseal at 40 mph? Do the sleeves constrict your bicep and restrict blood flow over several hours of riding, or is the tension balance so they are comfortable for 10+ hours? Can you swim in the suit comfortably (if you're not going to roll it down to your waist), without undue shoulder restriction? How is it for running? Does it actually breathe at all in hot conditions? All of that goes into the overall design and performance assessment, which may have aero trade-offs.

So I think tunnel testing is important, for sure. We do it and will continue to do it. We spent tens of thousands of dollars to build a TT-specific mannequin and set of jigs and fixtures. But I don't think the data is always dispositive on its own, and I think if we put out a study today, especially with a new launch, that is all many people would focus on, especially on ST. See it all the time on bikes and in the tri apparel threads, and I think it provides false precision in some regards. Our suits tested well and beat some very popular big brands that do a lot of volume in the category. They are aero enough, for sure. Your bike position and ability to actually stay aero and keep your head tucked will be a much bigger limiter on performance, for sure. I think the soft factors that help you do that and the attention to detail are where we really sought to differentiate most, and that the design decisions we've made at expense of the single aero variable make for an overall better product. I totally get the question and I understand it's controversial. I hope people try the suits themselves (we have 30 day free returns) before anchoring too hard on tunnel data, or the lack thereof, alone.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a very presidential answer. You definitely got the fit and comfort right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rokasports wrote:
Yep, we will likely offer colors next year, but this first offering is black with the color pop hits.

Best,
Rob

Will you be offering an XS size anytime soon? I am 5'10" 128lbs 29" waist 36" chest and think the S may be too big.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rokasports wrote:

Best,
Rob

Too bad you choose the pop of color on the women's to be pink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I would throw out another question to those who have either bought the suit or tested prototypes. Who plans on rolling the suit down for the swim portion (or sees a need to, hasn't seen a need to, etc). I'm finding the sleeves surprisingly unrestrictive.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka tri suit [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin,

Sorry you don't care for the magenta. It's the same color we've used as a pop color on our wetsuits since 2013 and has been very popular. It is also one of our core brand colors and is on the bar over the O in our logo in most of its applications. Will offer more colors in the future!

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply

Prev Next