Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roka Sleeved Swim Skin
Quote | Reply
Javier Gomez is wearing a Roka sleeved swim skin at the 70.3 Worlds swim this morning

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 8, 17 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talked to Roka yesterday. It will be out by Kona.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wonder if it's faster than sleeveless?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to see how he wears his tri suit underneath. E.g. if it's sleeved will he actually have the sleeves on his arms? Also, it looks like Rosa went with a different construction than the other two sleeved swim skins out there that I'm aware of. The arms and shoulders appear to be a separate and very thin piece.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would still roll the sleeves of my tri suit down with this. The fabric on a swimskin can be stretchier than the tri suit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I would still roll the sleeves of my tri suit down with this. The fabric on a swimskin can be stretchier than the tri suit

For long course for sure. For short course I'm not sure what's optimum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is covering the arms really faster? I don't think we truly have a way to know because most of the tests on the Kiwami one were based off perceived effort

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's some evidence from wetsuits as well: full suits consistently test faster than sleeveless.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Sep 8, 17 20:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There's some evidence from wetsuits as well: full suits consistently test faster than sleeveless.

I'd like to see evidence that swim skins test faster than a well fitted tri suit let a lone the difference sleeves might make...
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can a wind tunnel-like test be done on wetsuits, swimskins etc be done in something like an endless pool?? That should be Kiley's next shootout project as I imagine there is as much (or as little) difference in suits and skins as bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question, maybe its the fabric that's faster..or like you said in the other post, just a fad/gimmick
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 9, 17 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Price and date? I need to purchase a skin for Kona and keep dragging my feet between a Viper Pro and Blueseventy PZT4TX+
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
stevej wrote:

Price and date? I need to purchase a skin for Kona and keep dragging my feet between a Viper Pro and Blueseventy PZT4TX+

I have no idea but my guess will be is that it will be 20 to 50 dollars more than the viper x because of more material.

All I know is that they said by Kona. Which usually means the week of Kona. So October 9th?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
stevej wrote:

I have no idea but my guess will be is that it will be 20 to 50 dollars more than the viper x because of more material.

All I know is that they said by Kona. Which usually means the week of Kona. So October 9th?

Ugh... that would mean I don't get to use my discount (eye roll).

Now the question is... is it worth probably $200 to get the sleeved version over the Viper Pro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to Roka today. It will be out around Kona. Sit back and wait.

Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I'd like to see evidence that swim skins test faster than a well fitted tri suit let a lone the difference sleeves might make...

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ya'll

Thanks for the interest. Will jump in to try to contribute to the discussion.

How you run your tri kit under a swimskin is obviously personal preference. When Javi tested the new short sleeve swimskin in training before Chattanooga he really liked it and felt no resistance in the arms. However, when he wore a tri kit under it (not ours) he did notice resistance and found that to be the limiter. Since we didn't have time to sort out a new kit under the skin before Worlds and since he really values feel while he races, he opted for a normal sleeveless tri kit for the race and wore a corresponding sleeveless swimskin. Whether or not he gave up some potential drag savings on the swim or aero on the bike, he obviously overcame that on the run for the win, so tough to say the net impact of sleeves vs no sleeves for him. He had a pretty good day at the office regardless. :) We work with other pros who like to swim with sleeves, and then there is a third set who prefer the roll down method under the skin. So it's totally down to personal preference. What I will say is that we have considered fast and comfortable swimming in the design and patterning of our tri kits and believe our sleeved kits have much better feel through the shoulders than a standard tri kit. Best advice is don't worry about what others do and figure out what works for you, taking into consideration both the skin and the kit as well as how much you like or dislike pulling up wet sleeves in T1.

Re: speed of sleeves vs skin, what we've seen in tri and competitive swim is that generally more coverage + some sort of coating (can argue hydrophobic vs hydrophilic) is faster. While data is great, am not sure the market size for this product warrants the investment to do a publishable testing protocol that would satisfy the intended audience. If someone wants to commission it and do it right, we'd be happy to support the research. Just having someone do some 50s and 100s though is not a real test, in my opinion. Net net, I personally feel people would still gripe about some element of the test or deny objective facts. We see that all the time in bike, helmet, wheel and other aero tests. So my personal take is that the better thing to do if interested is to attend a demo or spend 5 minutes on our site and buy a suit and try it at home. Decide for yourself if it's right for you, and if unsatisfied you can return it within 30 days (even after swimming in it), for a full refund.

Re: availability of the suits, we will be making X and Pro versions of the short sleeved suit. The short sleeve Viper Pro will be available at Kona the first day of the expo and should be available online at roka.com the same time for folks doing other races. They are shipping now direct to Kona and to our fulfillment center in the US. The short sleeve Viper X couldn't get finished before Kona and will be available at roka.com in late October/early November. We made super limited units of both styles for this first batch, and there is a good chance we will sell out. Of course, if we see solid interest at launch we'll take whatever learnings we have on the product and follow-up with a much bigger order for next year. Hope that helps answer any questions.

Any constructive feedback for how we can get better, please hit me at rob@roka.com.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Sleeved Swim Skin [ROKA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Want one in Kona.
2) Not arriving until Wednesday afternoon :(
3) Any chance you'll take my discount code at the expo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Availability - It is first come first serve, to be fair. Sorry about that. Hypothetically, to maximize your chances you could order from our site earlier in the week and ship to Kona 1 or 2 day air and then return it at Kona if needed, but you'd eat the outbound shipping.

2. Pricing - Team codes are honored at expos and online generally and I believe would be allowed for this product.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob,

Do you think I will be able to get a sleeved viper x for IMFL (november 4th)? Willing to ship to race site if needed.

Thanks!

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve,

I would think so. Please hit up Jessica or support@roka.com, and we'll go from there.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Is covering the arms really faster? I don't think we truly have a way to know because most of the tests on the Kiwami one were based off perceived effort

I know I have mentioned it before and have seen at least one other person 'test' it in the pool, but I swam slightly faster in a sleeved PI Octane than two sleeveless tri tops (2 piece then a 1 piece) or bare torso. It was only an 8 x 500 with each one worn twice, but it was enough for me not to worry about wearing it in a non-wetsuit swim...aka, all of 2016. I'm not exactly blowing the world away with my 30+ minute 70.3 swims though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ROKA wrote:

Re: speed of sleeves vs skin, what we've seen in tri and competitive swim is that generally more coverage + some sort of coating (can argue hydrophobic vs hydrophilic) is faster. While data is great, am not sure the market size for this product warrants the investment to do a publishable testing protocol that would satisfy the intended audience. If someone wants to commission it and do it right, we'd be happy to support the research. Just having someone do some 50s and 100s though is not a real test, in my opinion. Net net, I personally feel people would still gripe about some element of the test or deny objective facts. We see that all the time in bike, helmet, wheel and other aero tests. So my personal take is that the better thing to do if interested is to attend a demo or spend 5 minutes on our site and buy a suit and try it at home. Decide for yourself if it's right for you, and if unsatisfied you can return it within 30 days (even after swimming in it), for a full refund.

I have done some testing and swimskins are testing slow slow slow for me. The last time I did testing was with the old swimskins (neoprene) ones they were fast fast fast and I took the word of others about the new ones for many years. However, I got curious this off-season. My ultimate motive... to be the fastest version of myself.

The result was that my trisuits tested faster than than my trisuits + skinsuits, the sleeveless skinsuit tested faster than the sleeved. My protocol was cruise 800s over and and over again, 4 per day over 8 days. I have promising to write it up but haven't had the chance.

I then validated my choice, a Kiwami Toyko Amph, in races for career best after career best swims even before taking into account the lack of fitness I had. Plus that doesn't account for having to take it off it T2.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 21, 17 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper X Sleeved debuts today!
https://www.roka.com/...&utm_term=171218

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it.. since I've moved on to sleeved tri-suits, I might as well move on to these.
Quote Reply

Prev Next