Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live!
Quote | Reply
http://www.rokasports.com/...gvgmhis4xr28lurc0shq

http://www.rokasports.com/...-maverick-x-fullsuit

Ordering mine right now!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 21, 16 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trying to figure out sizing. I'm a MT in the Pro, wonder if I should stick with that or go ML. Seems these run small.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the Pro fit you perfectly?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it fits well enough. I'm 5-11, 170-175lbs...broad shouldered. Probably should stick with the MT. I wish they had done away with the wrist cuff...hate that.

My swim coach does a lot of testing/ shoots w/ Roka and others...he said its the best suit he has ever worn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2 -180-190 pounds and I ordered MT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talked with the guys there and they recommended M or ML. I'll go M and see how that feels. Excited for these suits!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a first-gen Pro. Can't imagine why I would ever buy a new wetsuit unless mine starts falling apart.

If I do, it would probably be an Elite and save $400.

In terms of sizing, I'm 6'1" and ~170lbs with skinny legs. I rock an M/T.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Convince me to buy one.... I'm serious.

I have an older style B70 Helix sleeved suit that's 4 years old. No tears in the suit what so ever. I have used it less than 5 times (race mainly in florida and have been hurt for 2 years). I don't love my Helix but I don't hate it either. As a former D1 swimmer I can swim in pretty much anything and be "ok" with it. The only thing that interest's me in the new Roka is the shoulder flexibility. Always thought I was restricted in the helix but I've just figured every wetsuit is like that. My helix can suit me for another couple of years as long as I take care of it so I'm having a hard time spending any money on a wetsuit (let alone 900 bucks). So is this suit really that worth it? My initial opinion is no.... but I'm willing to listen to others reasons on why they are planning to buy one.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm buying one because I had an Xterra Vortex 3 wetsuit that I bought in college. It's 4 years old, has tears all in it, is not very flexible, and it's time for a replacement. I love Roka products so I wanted their best suit.

Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered one. I have a 2008 QR Superfull. I'm a FOP swimmer (certainly not D1 level - but usually throw down a high 21 in an Oly and a 28-29 in a HIM) that wants every single advantage I can get. I just aged up to 45-49 and am racing Timberman later this year...would love to get a slot to the WC, so if this can give me an extra few seconds, with my perceived effort being less than what it usually is, then I'll take it.

Dan had a good article back in Jul '14 about the Maverick Pro/Elite and said that he has a stable of testers that he trusts and this the Roka tested as the fastest suit (with one other) compared to everyone else.

Given the flexibility, where the panels are located, and the functionality of the suit (it's made for open water swimming), to me it's worth it.

Guess I'll find out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have ordered Size MT and am 185lb & 6-03. Have same size in the Maverick Pro and fits perfectly. Love the Pro, and excited to try the X. First race will Ingolstadt, a Half-Ironman Distance. Should be fun, as I m slow runner and biker. :)

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I have a first-gen Pro. Can't imagine why I would ever buy a new wetsuit unless mine starts falling apart.

This. Get the elite. The difference if any! isn't even 1s over 100m. Unless you like buying something new and shiny and that's what keeps you motivated, then by all means go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

This. Get the elite. The difference if any! isn't even 1s over 100m. Unless you like buying something new and shiny and that's what keeps you motivated, then by all means go for it.

I can't ride my $15,000 bike in the swim, thus how else will others know I'm a serious triathlete?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
trying to figure out sizing. I'm a MT in the Pro, wonder if I should stick with that or go ML. Seems these run small.

I'm the same size. I did not perceive a meaningful difference in sizing between this and the Pro. FWIW. That's as a SMT.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

I'm the same size. I did not perceive a meaningful difference in sizing between this and the Pro. FWIW. That's as a SMT.

At some point I recall the X page stating the sizing was different between the two. I called today and they said the X because of compression did feel tighter in some areas. My broader shoulders/ chest on my 5-11 frame might make the M too small, if so will go to ML. I think the MT I have is a tad too long on my torso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

I can't ride my $15,000 bike in the swim, thus how else will others know I'm a serious triathlete?!

If the money's no object, it's fun to have sweet gear. Let others be jealous and rock what's arguably the best wetsuit money can currently buy.

Personally, I demoed the Pro vs. Elite extensively, and finally decided the difference in shoulder flexibility was minimal, and I actually preferred the forearms of the Elite (don't like the fabric panel design of the Pro, and also don't like that it removes insulation from a crucial area, I mostly swim in cold Pacific waters) and also preferred the legs of the Elite (thinner strips of neoprene on the Pro are entry points for a small amount of additional water, which Roka claims no one else has ever pointed out to them, but which every swimmer in my group who uses the Pro notices), and given all that, was happy to save the price difference. The one place where the X would tempt me--but my Elite is going to last me a solid few years--is the core construction, which appears to take away the Pro and Elite's tendency to gap a little in the lower back, the only caveat to what is otherwise a phenomenal fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

If you were a paying customer, would you upgrade your otherwise serviceable Roka Pro?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone for the interest in the X! very excited to launch this suit.

wanna jump in here and answer a few questions.

on fit, the Maverick X was patterned initially from the pro, so you shouldn't have to size up our down if you're coming from one of those suits. in fact, the size charts are the same on the site, which you can tell because i haven't had a chance to relabel the pro chart for the x page when you click in to see the full-size chart jpg. :) not sure where someone read the fit is different but if you find it lemme know!

because of the reinforced taping in the low back, the suit may feel more supportive but should not require a size down. up top, the suit will feel more flexible and less restriction since we have patterned the arms up, improved the armpit and shoulder panels, and since we floated the neck. the floated neck also helps minimize water entry. overall, everyone we've worked with has commented favorably, and we believe the improvements to the X are real and meaningful.

re: how much suit is enough, sure, we could stop with elite or pro, but we're not in the business of settling. we will constantly try to deliver the best gear possible so people can swim as fast and as free as possible and exit the swim with the least amount of fatigue. in our view, races are hard enough, and your gear should get out of the way. if over time we can then diffuse that innovation to more accessible price points, we will, which is how the elite and comp suits were born.

totally get that the price point isn't for everyone – YMMV – and we respect that. in fact, i was not in the market for a $900 wetsuit when i first got into triathlon in 2010. couldn't afford it, so i bought a $300 suit "for swimmers." however, i did later regret that and built my own! ;) ;)

nonetheless, no one is forcing anyone to buy the Maverick X. all of our suits are great and hit above their price class. whether the price is worth it is up to you, just like whether it's worth it to get deeper depth aero wheels (or get aero wheels at all) or get a stiffer carbon frame bike. this is the nature of performance gear, and everyone's needs are different.

if you are interested in any of our suits and especially if you are on the fence, please keep in mind our 30-day moneyback guarantee (yes, you can swim in the suits and still return them), free shipping and free returns. we also ship directly to 31 countries in europe from belgium via http://eu.rokasports.com and http://uk.rokasports.com and ship to oceania from sydney on http://au.rokasports.com.

best,
rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [rokasports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rokasports wrote:
thanks everyone for the interest in the X! very excited to launch this suit.

wanna jump in here and answer a few questions.

on fit, the Maverick X was patterned initially from the pro, so you shouldn't have to size up our down if you're coming from one of those suits. in fact, the size charts are the same on the site, which you can tell because i haven't had a chance to relabel the pro chart for the x page when you click in to see the full-size chart jpg. :) not sure where someone read the fit is different but if you find it lemme know!

because of the reinforced taping in the low back, the suit may feel more supportive but should not require a size down. up top, the suit will feel more flexible and less restriction since we have patterned the arms up, improved the armpit and shoulder panels, and since we floated the neck. the floated neck also helps minimize water entry. overall, everyone we've worked with has commented favorably, and we believe the improvements to the X are real and meaningful.

re: how much suit is enough, sure, we could stop with elite or pro, but we're not in the business of settling. we will constantly try to deliver the best gear possible so people can swim as fast and as free as possible and exit the swim with the least amount of fatigue. in our view, races are hard enough, and your gear should get out of the way. if over time we can then diffuse that innovation to more accessible price points, we will, which is how the elite and comp suits were born.

totally get that the price point isn't for everyone – YMMV – and we respect that. in fact, i was not in the market for a $900 wetsuit when i first got into triathlon in 2010. couldn't afford it, so i bought a $300 suit "for swimmers." however, i did later regret that and built my own! ;) ;)

nonetheless, no one is forcing anyone to buy the Maverick X. all of our suits are great and hit above their price class. whether the price is worth it is up to you, just like whether it's worth it to get deeper depth aero wheels (or get aero wheels at all) or get a stiffer carbon frame bike. this is the nature of performance gear, and everyone's needs are different.

if you are interested in any of our suits and especially if you are on the fence, please keep in mind our 30-day moneyback guarantee (yes, you can swim in the suits and still return them), free shipping and free returns. we also ship directly to 31 countries in europe from belgium via http://eu.rokasports.com and http://uk.rokasports.com and ship to oceania from sydney on http://au.rokasports.com.

best,
rob

Thanks for the input and insight.

I have a question related to durability, specifically in the underarm area. I have had two Comp suits fail in the past three months under my right arm. Thanks to amazing Roka customer support and service, I have just received my new comp suit to replace the failed 2nd one...but I did have to do IM South Africa in a rather chilly and leaking Comp suit that still took me to #1 swim in my AG. Both suits that failed involved the intersection of the seams under the armpit after the round fabric reinforcement fell off in that area in the liner. I confirmed the sizing with Roka and it is correct. I think it has to do with the fact that I swim with a very long stroke; that is why I love Roka so much...even the comp suit is incredibly flexible in the shoulders compared to any other suit I've worn. But failure sucks when it happens 2 weeks before a major event, and it is a pain for Roka and me to sort it out...so my question:

Do the different neoprenes used in the more expensive suits have an impact on longevity and reliability in your experience? Would this apply to the X? Or are the patterns simply faster/more comfortable (in addition to the neoprene coating) as you move up the product line?

And one more question for Roka...do you think it is possible to make a wetsuit with the same zipper design on the high end swimskins? I love getting out my Roka swimskin just by flicking up the zipper and pulling from the shoulders. Sometimes coming out of the water it is tricky to find the lanyard, run, re-orient my head, etc etc!

For all those questioning the price/value of the suit, I certainly get it. For those lucky enough to have the extra funds, I'm sure the suits are better. For me, the basic Comp version took 2 minutes off my 3800m times compared to my previous Orca suit. In addition, the suit feels so much better and the effort to swim fast feels much less. Awesome products and awesome service!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! Looks like a great product, and a 30-day test window means minimal risk on fit issues and means I can compare it to the Orca Predator to see how the technologies stack up. Looking forward to an upgrade to my mid/entry level suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Darren

all the suits we use are made with premium Yamamoto neoprene from Japan. while much more expensive, in our experience, Yamamoto is more durable and has better performance for the triathlon application than Sheico and some other neoprene varieties used by other brands.

the neoprene in our Maverick Comp is uncoated (no scs hydrophobic coating), which isn't a big issue for most people, but does make it slightly less durable and less hydrodynamic. the others are coated and tend to have slightly better resistance to heat and minor tears, whether those tears come from normal use like just getting some micro tears from the neoprene abruptly/acutely or from little fingernail/snags. very easy to fix with McNett's Seal Cement, but we do find the more premium suits to be more durable over time.

in terms of the neoprene itself, putting coatings whether it is the #38, #39, or #40 Yamamoto neoprene variant, we don't see an issue with durability when the use case is the sort of stretch you are describing, extending the arms and swimming.

lastly, we use premium liners all around, so no issue there.

in terms of weaknesses at the seams joints like you've mentioned, the heat sealed dots do help for critical reinforcement, and if they fall off we can replace them or send you a cement to repair. while they do a good job most of the time, they are really hard to keep on forever because of the inherent wear and tear of owning a wetsuit and the reality that sometimes they get stored weight for a while, which puts pressure on the adhesive.

as it relates to the other suits, the armpit seam joint of the comp/elite/pro is the same, because we started with the pro and then diffused the pattern tech throughout the line. if the suit fits very tightly, you might be putting more stress on a given seam than others, so that can also challenge the reinforcement. people have different preferences on how tight of a suit they want to rock. we're aware of the multipanel connection in the armpit and it's a design compromise we had to make early on to balance performance with durability. we don't have many returns for failures there, and i think your case of two armpit failures so close together is exceptionally unusual and something we would warrant and replace immediately. our warranty rate is quite low, but of course we do encounter it sometimes over the course of selling thousands of suits, because the suits are handmade.

the X has a different armpit/shoulder design, so you should not have the same issue if your particular body shape or stroke are repeatedly put pressure on the seams there.

hope that helps!

best,
rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

Thanks for the input and insight.

I have a question related to durability, specifically in the underarm area. I have had two Comp suits fail in the past three months under my right arm. Thanks to amazing Roka customer support and service, I have just received my new comp suit to replace the failed 2nd one...but I did have to do IM South Africa in a rather chilly and leaking Comp suit that still took me to #1 swim in my AG. Both suits that failed involved the intersection of the seams under the armpit after the round fabric reinforcement fell off in that area in the liner. I confirmed the sizing with Roka and it is correct. I think it has to do with the fact that I swim with a very long stroke; that is why I love Roka so much...even the comp suit is incredibly flexible in the shoulders compared to any other suit I've worn. But failure sucks when it happens 2 weeks before a major event, and it is a pain for Roka and me to sort it out...so my question:

Do the different neoprenes used in the more expensive suits have an impact on longevity and reliability in your experience? Would this apply to the X? Or are the patterns simply faster/more comfortable (in addition to the neoprene coating) as you move up the product line?

And one more question for Roka...do you think it is possible to make a wetsuit with the same zipper design on the high end swimskins? I love getting out my Roka swimskin just by flicking up the zipper and pulling from the shoulders. Sometimes coming out of the water it is tricky to find the lanyard, run, re-orient my head, etc etc!

For all those questioning the price/value of the suit, I certainly get it. For those lucky enough to have the extra funds, I'm sure the suits are better. For me, the basic Comp version took 2 minutes off my 3800m times compared to my previous Orca suit. In addition, the suit feels so much better and the effort to swim fast feels much less. Awesome products and awesome service!

This is interesting. My Elite fits me exceptionally well, and is snug but not excessively so. But after maybe two dozen swims at this point, the round fabric reinforcements in the armpits are coming off, and I also notice there's a seam near them that's creating a small half-inch or so of serious chafing on both sides (the seams are pretty tough, so I think they're sawing at me in that one little spot with each stroke). Glad to hear I could reglue the reinforcements, and I wonder whether I might glue on a couple of additional reinforcements--or little strips of seam tape--to cover the seam in that one spot that seems to be causing trouble.

I don't mean to give the wrong impression here, overall I'm thrilled with my Elite, it and the Pro are easily the two best-swimming wetsuits I've ever used, and I've used a lot of wetsuits.
Last edited by: niccolo: Apr 21, 16 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi niccolo,

thanks for letting me know about that issue. we'll get you sorted. we have a two year warranty on our wetsuits, so you can send the suit back and we'll repair it or swap it out. one of my teammates at support@rokasports.com can help facilitate if you want to ping them. you can cc me at rob@rokasports.com. cool?

best,
rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [rokasports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rokasports wrote:
hi niccolo,

thanks for letting me know about that issue. we'll get you sorted. we have a two year warranty on our wetsuits, so you can send the suit back and we'll repair it or swap it out. one of my teammates at support@rokasports.com can help facilitate if you want to ping them. you can cc me at rob@rokasports.com. cool?

best,
rob

Thanks for the super quick response! No need to swap it out, it's in almost pristine condition, just needs a little cement before the reinforcements fall off. And I'll see if you guys can hook me up with a few extra reinforcements so I can try to reduce the chafing spot. You guys going to be at Wildflower next weekend? If so, I might get in-person service :)
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we're planning to do about 40 races this year and were at oceanside and galveston. will be at 70.3s, IMs, and a bunch of independent races. rain check on wildflower, i believe. that reminds me, i need to put that event list on our site somewhere!

pls shoot me an email, and i'll see if we can get you some dots or help you with a repair.

best,
r

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply

Prev Next