Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rocket Science wetsuit - zipper issue
Quote | Reply
I bought a rocket science wetsuit and it zips from the top down. When I tried it on in the store it was very hot and the guy zipped it for me. What I have found out since then is I cannot reach to the top back and zip this myself. Does anyone have this wetsuit and is this a common problem? Yes I call it a problem because I think it is an inherent design flaw in the product. I never had a problem zipping a wetsuit myself from the bottom up in 25 years. Once this suit is on it is great in the water but I wish I never bought it. I've worn it exactly 1 time for a race this spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Rocket Science wetsuit - zipper issue [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not an inherent design flaw, it's a deliberate design feature--and one that I like very much.

If you lack the flexibility to get the zip started, just ask the person next to you for help. ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Nineteen Rogue has a reverse zipper as well. I initially found it kind of annoying, but it just took a little while to master the technique of doing it up by myself. Now it's easy. Even if that fails, just find someone to give you a hand.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Rocket Science wetsuit - zipper issue [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Design flaw?
Are you kidding?
Transition was one of the most stressful times for me for fear of being unable to get my zip undone until I got my Rocket Science Suit.
I am 52, 95 kilos and as flexible as a piece of 4x2 and I can manage getting zipped up (but it took practice).
I have competed in a fairly wide range of events - but never a World Champs and have never been in a crowd where everyone wasn't courteous, helpful and encouraging. There is always someone who is willing to help.

Stick with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a reverse zipper as well, they remove the 'zipper being undone during the swim' issue. Ask some nice person to zip it up for you.

I have a Aquasphere Phantom which has a core stability belt too, never had a no, even from hot girls :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the reverse zipper it can be done. It just takes some flexibility.

Can you reach both corners of the top of the neck of the suit? Where the zipper ends on both sides?

If you pull the zipper all the way to the top using the lanyard, and hold that with one hand, grab the male end of the zipper with your other hand and put them together, still holding the male end of the zipper, carefully flip the zipper tab down and pull tension on the lanyard (while still holding the male end of the zipper). If you have it right, the tension you are pulling should be enough tension to have the zipper grab a few teeth and there you are, zipping down your own suit.

This is how I get it done in my Aqua Sphere Phantom, it took a while to get to it, but I found that a proper fitting wetsuit (tight) will be tough to zip up even with a bottom up zipper. Just imagine an older QR suit that had the zipper disconnect at the bottom.

The top down zipper is actually not a design flaw, but rather an advantage as it takes away the bulk at you neckline, as well as some other things that folks have mentioned above. You will find a top down zip in most high end suits these days.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Rocket Science wetsuit - zipper issue [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, "design flaw" was not the right word. ;)

It must be my beastly shoulders! I do love the suit in the water for sure!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you consider selling it over in classifieds and buying one with a more conventional "top down" zipper?
Jakers and I can probably walk you through a better brand, model, and size to make the wetsuit experience a much better one.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply